Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

I got my sub... I have an amp... Bandpass or regular box???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my sub... I have an amp... Bandpass or regular box???

I bought my sub today... after 2 hours of standing at the counter to exchange @ Best Buy... It's an RFP3812... Rockford Fosgate Punch HE 12" 8-Ohms... I have an RF Punch 100.2 Amp... I'm going to bridge it... That will put me at 4-Ohms... right? Well, I was looking around at Best Buy... and the box I saw **Q-Logic with the grill on front** is like $80.. well on eBay I can get a 12" Bandpass box for like $50.. including shipping. Should I get a bandpass box? If it will give me more bass then I'm gonna consider it but if all it will do is take up space then no. I will just sit it up top of the well because I need the bottom of the trunk for my soccer stuff. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:24 PM

i say, and am sure others will agree.... don't buy a bandpass box unless it was made specifically for that sub... just throwing a sub in any generic box (sealed too even) isn't a good choice if you want it to sound good. Making your own box is your best bet, but if that is out of the question, find all the specs for your sub (should be available at rf's web page) and match it up as best as you can to a box. IMO, i think sealed boxes sound way better, but then again that is just me... you might wanna see if you can find a shop (or some friends) to let you hear your own sub in different boxes and then make your own decision. Then again if you are just starting out and aren't obsessed w/ having the most perfect sounding system, i say go for it (but watch out, shipping a box will cost ALOT)
Old 01-27-2002, 12:19 AM
Supreme Member

I would go with a sealed box also, the bandpass will make the bass travel a little farther. but sealed sounds wwwaaayyy better!
Old 01-27-2002, 01:23 AM

Well, the book says
Recommended Sealed 1.25ft³ (35.40L)
Recommended Ported 2.0ft³ (56.63L)

I like this smiley :lala:
hahahahaha
whoa sorry... Mountain Dew anyone?
ANYwayz...

I found a box on SoundDomain.com for a sealed box for 1.25ft³
Would this be fine for $45.95

Enclosure Type: sealed
Subwoofer Opening Size: 12"
Number of Subwoofers: 1
Enclosure Material: particle board
Speaker Terminal Type: spring-loaded
Sealed Chamber Volume: 1.25 cu. ft.

I ordered the new Jensen ATS 300W amp.. sposed 2 be pretty cool... got remote bass and stuff control thingie haha... it's black and cool loookin... sposed 2 be Jensen's "Competition" line... anyone heard how good this stuff is? ANYWAYZ... I'm either bridging that onto my sub... or bridging my 100.2 RF amp on it. I'll figure out later. But would the particle board hold up?? If not... they have an MDF one for $59.95

Enclosure Type: sealed
Subwoofer Opening Size: 12"
Number of Subwoofers: 1
Enclosure Material: MDF
Speaker Terminal Type: binding posts
Sealed Chamber Volume: 1.25 cu. ft.

My sub and amp wouldn't be enough to overpower the particle board would it?? I heard those kind of boxes get messed up easily. Which would be the better deal? Shipping on those are about $20 Thanks
Old 01-27-2002, 03:52 PM

Rockford Fosgate Punch HE 12" 8-Ohms... I have an RF Punch 100.2 Amp... I'm going to bridge it... That will put me at 4-Ohms... right?

no, all that bridging means is that u are taking the left and right channels and combining there power into one, that doesnt change electrical resistance(ohms)the only way u can make your 8ohm sub run at 4ohms is to buy another 8ohm sub and wire them both in parallel, and if u want just one sub, exchange for a 4ohm sub, it will sound way better than your 8ohm, cause it will draw more power, instead of resisting it, see wut im sayin??
Old 01-27-2002, 04:00 PM

Yeah I see what ur saying now... this is the SECOND time I've gotten the wrong sub at Circuit City... The first time I bought them I got a 4-ohm and an 8-ohm... I ended up taking the 4-ohm bakc and getting the 8-ohm... I didn't know anything about subs then. Now I wanted a 4-ohm sub and I got an 8-ohm.. halfway home I realized it was the 8-ohm when I saw the lil sticker on the bottom of the box... I was too mad at them already for the 2 hour wait so I didn't go back. I'll go this week and exchange. How much more power will the 4-ohm get than the 8-ohm?? Or does it depend on the amp??