Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

'2000 SS Camaro stereo in '86 IROC

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 IROC-Z/'94 Z28
Engine: 350 LT1/382 LT1
Transmission: 4L60-E/T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.45/3.42 (soon 4.10)
'2000 SS Camaro stereo in '86 IROC

I know these swaps have been done before, and I'm sure I can figure it out, but prefer not to butcher my harness in the process. I got a steal of a deal on a headunit/amp/speaker set out of a 2000 SS Camaro. The setup had only 1 day on it before it was completely replaced. So I know it's in good shape. I have a Blaupunkt Miami in there now, but it's getting old, at least to me. This setup I've got is the Delco/Bose unit. How should I wire this thing up? Anybody know where I can get info, or a harness to match the back of the headunit? How should I mount it? My original 'mounts' on the center console broke off where the headunit bolts to. I'm not trying to go crazy, but just want a good stereo. I'm not really stereo-literate, so please bear with me. Keep in mind this comes with the factory amp. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:02 AM

This one may be rough, because of the fact that the radio itself has no power, and the amps themselves are on the speakers. You really can't feasibly use your factory harness with that combo, so here is what you will have to do. Try to find a harness out of a car with the Bose system originally. You will then need to find out which wires on the speakers are the Pos, Neg, power, ground. There should be four wires on each speaker. You will also need to find out which wires do what on the harness that goes into the back of the radio. There should be some sort of switched power supply for the power for the amps on the back of the speakers as well as the necessay grounds. The rest is like hooking up speakers, but keep in mind these are pre-amp outputs (meaning they can't be listened to unless run through an amplifier). Also, I'm guessing that you are putting these speakers into a 3rd gen, so you will have to custom make speaker housings up front and make a mounting board for the rear speaker to fit in one of your sail panels. You have a lot of work ahead of you, but nothing that couldn't be done it a day or two. If you have any further questions, email me at cbpldc@team.camaroz28.com.
Hope this helped.

Chris
Old 04-03-2001, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it came out of a 2000 SS, then it is a monsoon, not a bose.

Big waste of money, you are actually better off using your Blaupunkt headunit (trust me, I've heard both!)

Mike

------------------
custom 3rd gen kickpanels at http://www.lachernet.com/kickpanels
Old 04-03-2001, 09:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Actually, the new Delco decks have a pretty good quality reproduction. A good line output converter will make a new delco integrate very well into a system with aftermarket speakers and amplification.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 04-03-2001, 10:05 PM

The decks may be ok, but the monsoon amp is the biggest joke. I literally consider it in the same class as a jenson or something, maybe even pyramid class.

200 watts rms, 500 peak from a box that weighs about 3 lbs, is like 10" by 8" and gets it's power over 14 gauge wire...
um... ok. Sure.

For a factory system, it is not that bad, but for all the hype it get's, I expected at least a little more. A friend of mine has a jeep grand cherokee, and his factory system embarrased my monsoon.

In fact, I hated the monsoon so much, I yanked it all out, sold it for dirt cheap, and am driving my car with out a stereo as I build up my competition system over the next year.

Sorry if I come off strong on this topic, but I've heard people rant and rave about the 4th gen f-bodies monsoon system, and I can honestly build an aftermaket system that's much better for about $700 to $800.

mike

------------------
Old 04-03-2001, 10:29 PM

Getting a harness for the back of that radio is easy...carry the radio into a car stereo shop and tell them you want a "reverse harness." Best Buy carries them too. Or cut one out of a junk car like cbpldc said.

Once you get that reverse harness, wire it up to a female version of the harness that's in your car. (Provided that whoever installed the Blaujunk didn't hack off the factory plug.)

Also, what he said about the rest of the stuff was true. Since the speakers are the wrong size, you're going to have to fabricate mountings for them. It's probably not worth the trouble.

My guess is that you do have the Monsoon system, not Bose. I think the Monsoon decks work like anything else; you just hook it up to your existing speakers and it works. If you do indeed have a Bose head unit, you'll need to run wire all over the car and get the Bose speakers hooked up right, or buy an aftermarket amp.

Old 04-04-2001, 06:36 AM

Oh, I didn't even read what it was out of. So the Monsoon decks have onboard power? Or are the amps on the speakers like in the Bose systems?

chris
Old 04-04-2001, 07:22 AM

Monsoon decks are just delco decks, nothing special about them. You get your front and rear speaker outputs, but the monsoon only uses them for the tweeters. The amp has high level inputs that also tap into those 4 speaker outputs, and the amp powers the midranges and mini-subs.

Mike

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 12:04 AM

Car: '86 IROC-Z/'94 Z28
Engine: 350 LT1/382 LT1
Transmission: 4L60-E/T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.45/3.42 (soon 4.10)
I just checked the headunit...it is a Monsoon, I was told Bose...but anyway, I just need a small step up from stock...the Blaupunkt's kind of old, and you can tell when it's used continuously for awhile. It get's quieter, gradually. This new unit will fit straight into my console...I have the Delco amp, but why? I'll run it without it (can't I?). I think I'd be OK, but if not, I may invest a little more into a better amp. Basically, I need a schematic so I can tell which wires go where from the headunit (and amp)...so I can wire it. I can get a harness no problem. Suggestions?
BTW: the amps are not on the speakers, It's one amp, black, seperate, comes from the head unit (I think).

[This message has been edited by dhirocz (edited April 04, 2001).]
Old 04-05-2001, 08:15 AM

The speaker outputs of the headunit are regular full range outputs, so yes, you can run just the headunit.

Mike

------------------