Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

need help w/ my Delco Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help w/ my Delco Bose system

I just bought a new 3rd gen yesterday(my second one, the Ragin'87 is in a better place now.), 92 RS, 305, T5.. it's got the delco bose gold series thing or whatever. I don't know what that came with from the factory but it looks like someone had wired their own **** to it. Here's my situation:

1.) no speakers under the dash
2.) the speaker(what size?) in my driver's side kick panel doesn't work(it's plays music very faintly, and emits a staticy electronic interference type noise, I assume it's blown.)
3.)Where my 87 had 6x9's(sail panels) there are wires, not factory wires, but no mounting "box" for the speakers. I plugged the wires into the 6x9's I had in the 87.. not a peep.
4.) this isn't a problem, but it's just something I'll add.. the rear trunk cover mounted speakers both work fine.

if anyone can give me some advice, let me know how many speakers I should have, factory wiring, or anything like that, please help.

Anthony

p.s anyone in the houston or dallas area that wants a box for 2 12's that will fit perfectly in the back of a 3rd gen, let me know, I've got one, and I don't plan to use it.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this same system. First thing, your radio is a pre-amp deck only, meaning that it sends out a signal that only goes to amps, not to speakers. The amplifiers are located on the backs of the speakers themselves. In our Bose cars, the front are located in the kick panels and the rears are way in the back. There never were any speakers in the dash or the sail panels of the Bose cars. There is a small screw in the center of the "box" of the kick panel speakers if you want to remove them. More than likely though, the problem is with you head unit. I have never seen a speaker go bad with these Bose systems. If you want to add speakers in the sail panels, you will have to either add a new head unit with the Bose adapter harness and splice into the speaker leads before they hit the harness, or move the bose speakers and their wiring up to the sail panel and make an adaptor plate. The latter is what I did and added a set of subs into hatch/well area. I personally think that if you replace the radio, your bose speakers will sound fantastic. Those rear speakers really thump hard for their size, but distort with too much bass.

Chris
Old 03-28-2001, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, I took the stereo out, and there are two of the wire packs not even plugged in.. only problem is they won't plug in to the available empty port in the rear of the stereo.

Here's my thought:
1.) find out which wires go to which speakers(ground and hot.)
2.) label said wires.
3.) get a Pioneer head unit w/ dual RCA outs.
4.) put RCA jacks on the wires from above, plug them into the preamp outs on the head unit.
5.)take the speaker boxes for the dash and sail panels out of a F-body at the boneyard.
6.) get some 4x6's, and a bunch of wire connectors and speaker wire.
7.) put my 4x6's, and my 6x9's in their respective pannels, wire the car up, and have an 8speaker system.

Am I insane.. in theory it works, but I don't know if it does in reality. can the bose speakers work off preamp outs on a regular head unit?

Anthony
Old 03-29-2001, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anthony,
The only problem with that is that the RCA outs from the Pioneer are at pre-amp level and will not even send and actual audio signal to your speakers. What you should do is what I did with the front speakers. First, you need to get an adapter from Metra or whoever makes those wiring harnesses. Then, just run wires from your 4x6's and 6x9's into the unit as if they were the only speakers that you were wiring up. From there, run more speaker wire (about 3-4 inches more) from where you just wired in your new speakers. Take the wire you just attached and wire (screw) it into the adapter that you purchased. Normally, I wouldn't recommend wiring 8 speakers into a radio, but because the original speakers already have amps built into them, they won't be sapping power from the radio, just sending a signal (kind of like pre-amp outputs) If you have any questions about this, e-mail me and I can walk you through it. cbpldc@team.camaroz28.com

Chris