Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

mounting woofers and tweeters in a component set

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mounting woofers and tweeters in a component set

is it important to mount them close to each other??? i mean, if i put a 4" woofer in the dash, and place the tweeters down in the kickpanel area, will i have good sound from them??? or am i better off mounting the tweeters on the side mirror panels???

------------------
350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake 600 cfm carb and exhaust, headers
-JVC, Eclipse, Pioneer, MTX, Phoenix Gold, Planet Audio
Old 03-15-2001, 02:03 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CamaroZ_85:
is it important to mount them close to each other??? i mean, if i put a 4" woofer in the dash, and place the tweeters down in the kickpanel area, will i have good sound from them??? or am i better off mounting the tweeters on the side mirror panels???

</font>

It's usually recommended to keep them closer together. (within a foot) I have tried spacing them out more with not a whole lot of difference. The imaging is a changed a bit, but it was acceptable. Try to keep the tweeters above the midrange, if possible. (dash level or higher) To me it sounds the best. That's just my opinion though.

Barry Izold
63 Comet Convertible
250 I-6 / 4 Speed
Old 03-15-2001, 02:59 AM

... keep them as close together as practical ...
Old 03-21-2001, 09:08 PM

PUT THEM WHERE EVER U WANT TO. THE LARGER SPEAKERS ARE NOT TO CRITICAT CUZ THEY WILL FILL THE CAR JUST ABOUT ANY PLACE U MOUNT THEM BUT SMALL TWEETERS WILL NOT REFLECT OFF SURFACES THAT WELL AND SHOULD BE AIMED AS CLOSE TO THE CENTER OF SOUND AS POSSIBLE( YOUR HEAD) AS FAR AS DISTANCE, DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANY DISTORTION ASSOCIATED WITH WIRE LENGTH. YOU ARE NOT PUTTING ENOUGH POWER TO THEM TO MAKE A DIFFERANCE. LARGE SPEAKERS LIKE 100 WATT AND UP SHOULD HAVE THE SHORTEST LENGTH OF WIRE AS POSSIBLE.GOOD LUCK
Old 03-22-2001, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with what has been said mostly, but it is semi important where you put you mids as well. Granted, they do reflect better than your high frequencies, but they may be too muddy if they're not placed correctly, and that sounds worse than just the plain paper cones that come in the dash. You also do not want to put the tweeters close to your head like in your sail panels or right under the t-tops by your window. The further you put them in dash from you, the more equal your signals will appear (to your ears) from both the driver's and passenger's side speakers

The camaros were some of the few cars from factory that have decent sound stage to work from. The location in the dash is a perfect place to mount tweeters, though you will have to make a bracked for them, but it is easy. The best way to have clean highs though, is to properly place your mid-driver(in the door or kickpanel) and your tweeter (in the dash, or a-pillars) and DYNOMAT THE HELL OUT OF EVERYTHING. That is the biggest source of problems for audio systems in the F-bodies. I have probably rambled more than people care to read, so I will stop now.

Just my $.02

Chris Payne
'92 RS
'84 S/E
Old 03-22-2001, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

DYNAMAT, DYNAMAT!~!!
what would shaft say if he was an audiophile?
dddyyynnaMat!
i rattle like a biotch, so i am in operation dynamat, ill getcha guys some pics, i also made adapter plates for the sailpanel 6x9s, for a 6 component set.
laterz

------------------
91 FireBird 305 V-8
no true mods,
ghetto rigged cold air intake,
People dont have a soul, its just something parents made up to frighten little children, like the boogie man, or micheal jackson..."

GheTTo Riggers INC.
We Make Mcgyver look Like Crap
Old 03-22-2001, 02:59 PM

Shaft my *** !

That was JJ walker

------------------
www.350iroc-z.com
Old 03-23-2001, 12:33 AM

If you're gonna put a 4" mid in the dash then put the tweeter right next to it, or build kicks for both, or put both in the doors.

It takes alot of engineering to place a tweeter far away from a mid and still have it sound good.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

oi, ok, heres the pics of my spk panels

------------------
91 FireBird 305 V-8
no true mods,
ghetto rigged cold air intake,
People dont have a soul, its just something parents made up to frighten little children, like the boogie man, or micheal jackson..."

GheTTo Riggers INC.
We Make Mcgyver look Like Crap

[This message has been edited by FiReBReTHa (edited March 23, 2001).]
Old 03-27-2001, 05:36 PM

My componets are in the back Set in a triangle formation. Tweater at the top and 4" 5 1/4" midrange below it. Works good

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/bulldogfrazier/homepage
+
http://www.fracoinc.com/

Keep your ride shinning with pride