Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

head unit problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
head unit problems

I just got a new jvc cd player for christmas from my parents and i hooked it up by myself. Since the plastic wiring things were long gone on my 84 i had to twist and electrical tape the wires together. I got everything wired up and was listening to the radio when i saw a spark and now my head unit won't turn on. It will eject and eat cd's and the display will light up like normal for a few seconds. But that's the only time it will turn on. Did i fry it? It seems like there's a problem with my orange or red wire that tells the cd player to turn on. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

redo all the connections and make sure you tape em up really good this time. Then, try it again because it sounds kinda like a external short. Does the time period vary before it switches off??? If that dont do it, something got cooked in the head unit
Old 12-26-2001, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350
not to insult you, but the wiring job was your first problem. the best ways to connect wires in a car stereo is either crimping or soldering, and neither is that expensive. twisting and taping is fine for home wiring, but cars have to deal with weather and vibration. about the HU, is there a reset button on it anywhere? sometimes this can help. maybe also check the fuse on the back of the HU.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:20 PM

the fuse is intact....my car battery's dead right now so i can't try it. i think it's kinda strange how it acts perfectly fine when i eject a cd but won't turn on otherwise.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

hmm, ejects but wont turn on .. are the constant and 12v wires reversed??? I dunno, im confusing myself trying to figure it out myself, but look and see to be safe. Its a hunch
Old 12-27-2001, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
i have the jvc lx10.

it does that some times, and all my wires are connected using butt connectors.

i reset mine like CAMp3RO suggested. depending on what model you have.......it should be a itty bitty dot on the lower right area of the face. a ball point pen or a pencil will work.

try that and let us know.

AJ
Old 12-27-2001, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

Location: First one out of liberty city, burn it to the ground
This happened to me b4, take off the cover to expose all the wiring under the dash. By the brake pedal will be a little black box with like the blinker and the little bing bing lite when u leave ur lights on. If u take the little black cover off, there will be 3 fuses up there. One goes to the radio and it controls the actual turn on of the radio in the stock wiring system.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

I noticed that you never mentioned if you had done what deadtrend1 had mentioned about pulling everything out and redoing it all properly. Use some crip connectors and make sure it's wired properly. This the only way of tracing down the problem. Can you be very specific about what happened? Like, was you turning it up when you saw the sparks? Did you hear it through the speakers or lose sound? "Eat the CD's"?(do you mean when the CD's load?) So when the CD loads the whole unit kicks off? You also said "i think it's kinda strange how it acts perfectly fine when i eject a cd but won't turn on otherwise." So you can turn it on and listen to the radio and it works fine but then you load a CD and then the unit kicks off? Eject the CD and then it works fine again? Redo you're wiring and make sure everything is correctly done and wired properly then let's see if you're still having problems.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine died today to, I dunno whats wrong with my baby. I even tried touching the ends to the battery, won't even lite up. Fuses don't look burnt. Maybe they are, i dunno.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by un4givin89
Mine died today to, I dunno whats wrong with my baby. I even tried touching the ends to the battery, won't even lite up. Fuses don't look burnt. Maybe they are, i dunno.
Maybe you just have a short in one of the fuses. Tried replacing them just to rule out the possibility? I've had that to happen to me. The fuse wasn't blown or didn't look like it. It wasn't black or broken just quit working. Hope that's it.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope dats all