Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

the never ending front speaker debate

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2000, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the never ending front speaker debate

im sick of the beat *** crappy excuse for speakers that are in my dash. i got them last january or february and blew the crap out of them in no time. they are jbls...i think. bu that doesnt matter. i like polk speakers and was thinking of a set of components for the front. but where should i put them? i cant sacrifice the money/space for kick panels...although i would love to get the sound. i guess the next step is the doors, which will still be money but not much room on sacrifice. obviously the enclosure has to be built out a little for window clearance. it has been done, and i would like to know what it involves, how it was done etc. i greatly appreciate any ideas/opinions/experience....thanks!

------------------
350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake 600 cfm carb and exhaust, headers
Old 12-03-2000, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you'll have to still cut a moderately sized hole in the door panel to clear the magnet; only some of the speaker will be spaced forward.

You could screw two or three sheets of plywood together, cut a hole in the middle for your speaker, then carpet the plywood...it would look pretty decent but not the best. You can also buy 1" speaker spacers at car stereo shops...they look pretty lousy in my opinion, but they're cheap and easy to install. You could build a custom rounded speaker pod with fiberglass, but that would definitely take a good amount of skill and experience.

Do you have power windows? I hear that if you have manual windows, a 6 1/2" will fit right in the door no problem.
Old 12-05-2000, 09:18 PM

Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
Screw that! Dont do the doors, instead get 4" component speakers! or 4" coax... just get a template for a 4x6 plate speaker and trace it on a peice of wood lik 1/4", then cut a 4" hole in the center and mount the speaker. Thats how i have my 4" MBQUART component speakers mounted. They are the clearest speakers i've heard in a long time!!

------------------
Ant
87 IROC 305 TPI
Old 12-06-2000, 01:28 PM

Yeah I did the 4" in the dash thing too. I got kenwoods and just made my own adapter plate with some sheet metal, they sound great and no rattles.

------------------
'84 Z28 LG4 T-5
'92 Z28 wheels
350 and WC coming in summer 2001
Old 12-07-2000, 12:44 PM

Car: Trans AM
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5spd
I used wood, to make boxes for my 6" mids. They fit on the doors. I got rid of those useless door pockets. Bought some grey vinyl to wrap the boxes in. The boxes are cut to fit the same shape as the pockets. You cant even tell that they are aftermarket. Then I mounted the tweeters on the column on the door frame. Looks awesome, Ill try and get some pics. Then only thing that I dont like, cause the car is low, the speaker cover has some dents in it from people not being careful getting out of the car. I did not have to cut any holes in the door panel. If I wanted to I could put the pockets back on.

I put blue lights up under dash in place of the old speakers. They come on when the interior lights come on. Just an extra little effect. I want to cut a Pic of the firebird out and put it over the lights so that they will reflect the firebird symbol on the windshield.

------------------
Godti
'89 Trans Am (Red)
305 TBI 5spd

[This message has been edited by Godti (edited December 07, 2000).]
Old 12-07-2000, 02:05 PM

Hey CamaroZ you mean to tell me that this would be too much in you way. I'm almost 6' tall and these things don't bug me at all for leg space.

- Mike Harvey -

------------------
The '86 Firebird http://www.geocities.com/flash_point2002
Old 12-08-2000, 12:14 PM

Since blown fronts have affected me as well I figured I would throw in my solution to the front speaker dilemma. I have JBL 4/6s in the front powered by my in dash cd player but with bass blockers from crutchfield installed to prevent low bass from frying them, the fronts are only for a small amount of mid and treble "imaging" anyway. The rear 6/9s pull the majority of the load of what we can hear since our heads are right there. I have another set of jbls there but they are powered by a fosgate 4channel amp 50 watts into each. The lows are bypassed from them to a 10 inch bazooka (which fits perfectly into my hatched rear well) powered by the other two channels from the amp.

I have had very expensive systems 1800+ that sounded worse than this very simple (relatively cheap) setup. I hope this helped a bit I just wanted to present another option than drilling holes or intruding on foot space.

[This message has been edited by Julians82 (edited December 08, 2000).]
Old 12-08-2000, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 12 bolt
Add me to the list of those that put 4" components in the dash. I didn't even have to fab the plate, as JL audio offers one for a 4" coax. Just put the driver there, and mount the tweeter facing you. If you do this, go all the way and get MB Quart reference speakers. Nothing else I've heard is even close to the sound quality!!
Old 12-10-2000, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 CAMARO 1968 FIREBIRD
Engine: CAMARO 3.1L FIREBIRD 455
Transmission: CAMARO 700R4 FIREBIRD TH-400
I think my fronts are going they are infinity's and my rear jbl is goin at bass it gets all staticy and they r less then a year old paied 150 for thm total =(
Old 12-11-2000, 12:48 AM

You're all on drugs... find the Bose kickpanel speakers (they're out there you just have to look) and set em up with some tweeters up top.

------------------
-80 Camaro 350, Carter AFB, headers, dual exh, ram air, all sorts of crap
-88 Iroc-Z 350tpi, 3.27 gears, 4 wheel disc, MSD 6a, tpi airfoil, k+n's, white gauges, accel coil, flowmaster, pretty quick
Old 12-11-2000, 08:46 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
1. Bose kick panels sound like *** unless you retain the entire bose system, which I'm not fond of.
2. Replacing them with other speakers is difficult because of depth issues.
3. Putting tweeters up top with the mids still down low will destroy any possibility of an accurate soundstage and imaging.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 12-11-2000, 01:50 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
I have been severely dissapointed with EVERY Bose system I have ever heard!!

The one in my grandfather's '91 Eldorado sounded no better than my STOCK Delco. Even new Bose's suck...we have an '01 Grand Prix GT on the lot with the $400 Bose components, and they are no better than my mom's '01 Grand Prix GT with the regular Delco components!!

The only factory radio I have ever heard that was even remotely good is the Monsoon's in the Sunfires and Grand Ams...now THOSE are nice stereos, and relatively cheap too!!

------------------
Jason E
'89 Camaro RS 2.8
Hypertech chip/K&N filters/Accel 8.8 wires,coil/RapidFires
Eclipse CD and 100x4 amp/Boston plates and 6x9s
JasonEE98 on AOL IM
Old 12-11-2000, 10:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jim85IROC:
1. Bose kick panels sound like *** unless you retain the entire bose system, which I'm not fond of.
2. Replacing them with other speakers is difficult because of depth issues.
3. Putting tweeters up top with the mids still down low will destroy any possibility of an accurate soundstage and imaging.

Jim, I would like to disagree with all three of your statements in order;
1.BOSE kick panels do not sound like ****, if you know what you are doing. I took my BOSE case, hollowed it out, and then redesigned it so that I could install an ADS 5 1/4 woofer in it. I configured it to deliver only mid-range tones, which means that I did not have to worry about the limited amount of volume the enclosure has to offer.
2. Yes, there is not a large amount of depth in or behind the enclosure, but you can easily configure it hold a 5 1/4 or smaller speaker. 3. That is totally untrue. Again if you know what you are doing you can compensate for the hole created by the distance, and even elevate the sound stage from your feet up to your ears where it belongs. As I said earlier, I mounted the mid in the BOSE enclosure and then I mounted the tweeter in the dash location. Since highs are entirely directional, I angled the tweeter so that it fires off the winshield and slightly outward. By doing this I created a hole in the middle of the car, to cure this I installed a center channel, consisting of an ADS 4" mid and a tweeter, in a custom made enclosure mounted under the center air vents.To make everything work, every one of the six front speakers has it's own crosssover channel so I can control each one's level and roll-off point. Oh, and before you say where are all the low frequencies? There are 2-10" subs, 2-7" mid bass, and another set of 5 1/4 components in the car. They all have seperate crossover and amplifier channels, for infinite adjustability.