Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

wiring up bose head to aftermarket amps

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring up bose head to aftermarket amps

I just got a delco bose CD head from a '95 z28 and am planning to set it up with aftermarket amps and speakers. I know that this head has lower voltage outs than most aftermarket head preouts. I got it to sound decent when powering it through a home reciever input with the volume way up (on the reciever).

Has anybody kept their bose head and got it to sound well using aftermarket amps and speakers? If so, what are good ones that like bose head?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2000, 06:57 PM

Car: 92 Z, 91 Formula, 04 CTS, 01 Tahoe
Engine: 355 forged 4 bolt, SuperRam, 58mm t
Transmission: T5, looking for t-56
I have installed many aftermarket amps in factory Bose systems in Gm and Nissan.You can do it and make it sound good as long as you use a good Low-Level converter.If the converter has adjustable gains,turn them up and keep the gains on the amp down.
Old 12-03-2000, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They might be a little hard to find, but you need to find yourself some short RCA cords with FEMALE ends. (You could just use male RCAs and then attach female-to-female adapters, but that wouldn't look as slick.

Cut one end off the RCA cord, and strip away the insulation. The center core is the "positive" wire, and the outer shield is the "negative." Just carefully solder them to the wires coming from the back of your radio. Then run a long set of RCAs from there to your amp, and all should be well.

I'm not sure exactly how strong the output from the Bose deck is...as you said, you might have to turn your gains way up to get enough volume. Just try it out first and see what happens before you go out buying adapters.
Old 12-03-2000, 10:57 PM

The only problem with cutting RCA's and adding them, is that you take a chance of introducing EMI(electro-magnetic interference) into the system.In other words,noise such as alternator whine will have a better chance getting through to your signal cables because there is no shield at the connection.You can wrap what is known as Mu metal foil around the connection to help shield it from interference. Aluminum foil won't work because it doesn't contain any ferrite.But instead of going through all this,you'd be better off just getting an adapter.Besides,you can find a good one with adjustable gains between $15 and $25.

[This message has been edited by RSpeed (edited December 03, 2000).]
Old 12-04-2000, 08:57 AM

What type of Low level converter is this? I once had to install a low level converter when I used an amplifier after my powered output (stock non bose) head unit. Is this a different device?

I already "test soldered" up male RCA connectors to the head's low level outs for the rear speakers and hooked it up to my reciever stereo. I had to turn the volume way up on the reciever's amp but it sounded very good.

I already get alternator whine with my current setup (delco bose tape with delco bose amps, harness and blown delco bose speakers). What is a good way to avoid it when doing it this time?

Thanks for the responses
Old 12-06-2000, 02:24 PM

hi again
Old 12-06-2000, 03:19 PM

bigblue do you have aim or icq?

------------------
17 from Wichita, KS (previously newbieZ28)
1988 Iroc-Z ZZ4 tpi, ttops, 50k miles on chassis (edelbrock tes, stock tpi) free mods etc coming soon after first 1/4 times!
1985 Z28 LB9 option [STOLEN!] Click here to see

http://thirdgen.bawx.org
K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Old 12-06-2000, 09:26 PM

To help avoid alternator whine,use high quality shielded signal cables and keep them away from power wires. Use one ground point for all your amps and make sure it is a good solid ground.Those are the most important.Quality components also play a factor.Also,try to keep signal and speaker wires away from things such as computers,digital clocks,etc. Because,though rarely, sometimes they can give out enough EMI to transfer noise into your system.
Old 12-07-2000, 05:23 PM

RSpeed-
Which wires are most important to have shielded? The ones between the head and the amp or the amps and the speakers?
Also, how do you maintain a common ground if you have one amp up front and one in the rear?

Thanks

------------------
84 Monte SS L98
Waiting on 12" front rotors w/global west upper arms, t-56