Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Delco cassette deck with ipod aux/charge

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am 15th anniversary
Engine: L69
Transmission: 700r
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Delco cassette deck with ipod aux/charge

This is one of the newest decks you can pull from a GM that still looks factory in a Thirdgen. Pulled out of 1993 cadillac. I have been told 1994s have them too. These units light up in blue but I changed the color to red by painting the faceplate with translucent red to match the Pontiac interior.

I had this kit laying around that I paid $12 shipped to the door. I found it sounded like crap hooked up to a older FM radio. There are a few brands that make this kit. Whatever one you buy make sure its the ipod kit.

Note the center cable has your typical RCA jacks and a fused 12v/ground.

Open up the deck and unplug the cassette unit (5 wire plug). Orange and white are your left and right channels. Cut the RCA jacks off the plug supplied with with the kit and connect white to white and red to orange. Then connect the grounds and ground them on the unit.

Now your left with the power wires that will charge your ipod. I chose to keep them external. I ran the 12v fused wire to the fuse panel and pushed it into the IGN socket. I then grounded the black wire to the back of the radio.

When you turn the ignition off the Ipod will pause the song just like a USB deck will. I put a tape in the player to get the signal to kick in. But you can also push the mechanism down to trick the radio to thinking a tape is in place. I have more pics but am having issues getting them off my phone. It is very simple regardless.

Here is a vid showing it installed and charging the Ipod.

http://s311.photobucket.com/user/wic...1a038.mp4.html

It should be fairly easy to do this with a regular IPOD cable, just adding a fuse to protect the device. I had this kit so I didnt bother trying.

Here are the pinouts if anyone wants to try.

Last edited by The_Wraith; 05-03-2014 at 04:25 PM.