Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Improving the audio WITH the OEM headunit

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird "Bandit II"
Engine: 305
Improving the audio WITH the OEM headunit

I am hopefully buying a 86-87 Trans AM Delco radio (has a 5 band EQ) because I like the factory appearance of it over an aftermarket deck. I plan to replace the OEM 4x6 and 6x9 speakers with aftermarket speakers and have even considered adding some kick panel speakers. I am considering adding a small amp to help the speakers especially if I add kick panels (don't want to under power them).

My question is, is adding an amp even possible with the OEM headunit and will the added power harm it at all since it is over 20 years old? I know adding an aftermarket headunit may give a better sound and allow me to adjust the audio better, but I really want to maintain that OEM look.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Customized 1982 z28
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10 bolt Limited Slip
Re: Improving the audio WITH the OEM headunit

I'm sure it's possible, and it will not hurt the head unit. Depending on the year of the stereo you may want to drive ALL of the speakers with external amplification though, because as far as I know the Delco head units were geared up for the low power requirements of the factory speakers. I'm not sure to what extent.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4:10

Just run the oem head with a good line out converter with at least 5 channels. That'll het your front rear and sub. Audiocontrol makes one great pieces.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird "Bandit II"
Engine: 305

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm glad that it sounds very possible to do. One last question...I know the 20 year old OEM headunit is limiting the sound quality some, but just how much? I heard a few people saying that a good sounding audio system is just not achievable in a 3rd gen with any of the OEM headunits.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:00 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

It can be done, as noted, but it will not sound as good as all new equipment...
If you will be happy with it, try it and see...
The factory head units dynamic range, noise level, harmonic distortion and many other factors is not as good as a new aftermarket head unit made today... Plus the speaker to line level converters introduce another poor link in a chain that is getting weaker....

I would try what was suggested... many amps have speaker level in, so find one that suits you... and if down the line you are not happy, they do sell "hidden" head units that are better quality than stock.. so plan for the amp to have RCA's too...

Rafael
Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Well, that's true AND false at the same time. If you use a low end line out converter, cheap amps, and a cheap speaker set - it'll sound like poo.

All the OEM head unit is doing is sending signal which is altered by the Audiocontrol device (or whichever you choose). From there it's all up to the amps and response of the speakers that are in the car. If you want more control over the sound, i'd recommend looking into a signal processor like a bitone, jl cleansweep, or a rockford 360. I've used the rockford 360's and JL cleansweep before and had great results. They integrate flawlessly to OEM units new and old.

Inherently, these cars don't have the best sound stage, but with the right tools you can get quality results. This brings me to the topic of time alignment. Many new decks and these sound processors have this feature built in. Essentially time alignment modify's output to the speakers with a small time delay so the audio from all speakers hits your ears at the same time. This helps in deal with the highs from the dash screaming in your face and dominating the mix. It can be a headache to dial in, but it is well worth it.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM
TGO Supporter

A stock 86 Delco head unit is not considered low end? As you stated, "it's just sending a signal"... and a poor one at that.. It is still the weak link... The signal processors are doing just that, processing a poor signal to make it better... Over the years, the more I hear processed stuff, the more I tend to disable and go with the pure recording....

Which brings me to my next question.... What is going to be your main source of music? Radio, cd, MP3? I assume the delco does not have an input, so if you wanted mp3 / ipod you would have to use the antenna RF input (again, poor signal), or maybe these signal processors have an aux input...

Just some things to think about...
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM

All of the above is correct, but if the OP is keeping the OEM deck then my recommendation would be one of the best ways to go. Given it's about 3 times as expensive.. If it were me, I'd go with an aftermarket deck and hide it in the dash that way you get the better signal, better audio quality, better price, and retain the OEM look.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM
TGO Supporter

I think what ever the main source is will determine the best route to go.... I mostly listen to MP3's via USB, rarely radio and never to the CD.... They do have very small hidden units that do radio / mp3 / usb / aux input which would be cheaper than the signal processors... I'm just throwing out thoughts and ideas so that the OP can make an informed decision and get the most out of what he wants to do... I appreciate all ideas / thoughts shared.... Thanks.

Rafael