Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Built in USB Port in Dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 HSR $8D
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Built in USB Port in Dash

I am working on cleaning up my interior. The radio I have has a USB port in the back with a cable that runs out. I'm thinking of putting a USB port in the dash of my Camaro down by the parking brake lever to plug in my Jump drive or Iphone when I'm driving.

Has anyone ever done this? I was looking around the net and found these...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2708513..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

I was thinking of maybe trying to put one in...but would prefer one that mounts in the plastic and doesn't have the screws beside it(probably not as robust I would guess and might crack the console)...

I could just plan to buy a front USB port radio next time...but this is kind of a twofold question as I am debating doing the same thing for my tuning coming from my ECM. I asked here as I figured maybe a audio guy may have ventured down this path already.

I was also thinking about putting it in the glove box...but the lid closes so tight it actually smashed my factory Iphone cable and kinked it...

Thanks,
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 camaro
Engine: stroker
Transmission: Megaraptor
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Built in USB Port in Dash

i was looking for the same thing. i looked all over the local electronics stores and nothing. i searched ebay for usb panel mount and the best i got was the same thing you are looking at.
i routed mine to the glove box. made a whole and thats where i attach my pin drive. i wanted something like what's in the new 5th gen.
the usb drive sits right up against the panel.

definitely subscribing to this....
Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Built in USB Port in Dash

I'm looking into clean methods myself.

Here is my suggestion...

Get what you linked to and install it in the ashtray. It's a panel-mount connector so all you have to do is make a blank plate out of some plastic. If you remove the insert completely from the ash tray there is even enough room to make a nice recess for holding your ipod or what have you.

If your worry is the screws then don't sweat it. Usb ports aren't really under a lot of pressure so you can simply super-glue the connector to the back of your panel.