Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

LCD/Buttons backlighting question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts
Car: '92 Corvette, '89 1/2-a-'Vette
Engine: LT1, L98
Transmission: ZF6, ZF6
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.31
LCD/Buttons backlighting question...

I have a mid '90's vintage, Alpine head unit for my '92...in which everything is backlit...orange. Alpines are Green. My goal is to make the Alpine Orange, if possible.

I bought another faceplate for cheap to use as a test mule, and after disassembling it, I've learned that the green color comes mostly from a sleeve that is slipped over each of the 4 miniature bulbs that are soldered to the printed circuit board -the bulbs that back light the face. The sleeves look exactly like the ones on the two larger bulbs, in this pic...
Name:  IMG_1678.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  71.3 KB

I am looking for orange versions of these "sleeves" but lacking the correct terminology, I am having a hard time locating any. Anyone know what these things are called? They slip on and off the bulb easily. Just need to get the right ones for my goals.

Next step is making the LCD orange. From what I've been able to learn, the LCD is illuminated (and colored) by tiny fluorescent tubes. Can anyone comment on the possibility of changing either these bulbs, or maybe some tinting that gives them color if it exists? Thanks in advance!

-Tom
Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: LCD/Buttons backlighting question...

I think you have a good idea. But have no idea where to get the colored sleeves . I would just find some transparent paint and paint the bulb like they have on Christmas tree light.
As for your other question, Doesnt LCD stand for light collored diods. Not a flouresnt bulb
Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

The first one with the green base, is just like my stock bulbs with the orange/red rubber sleeves on them. No idea where to find smaller versions of them. I'd try the bulb painting idea. Just not sure if it would stand up to the bulb heat without burning the very tip & getting dark. I'd try an electronics supply place (not Radio Shack).
Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts
Car: '92 Corvette, '89 1/2-a-'Vette
Engine: LT1, L98
Transmission: ZF6, ZF6
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.31

Thanks guys.

I found out the tinted bulb "Condoms" are called "Tint light boots". Doing a search you can find Tint Light Boots for very specific things; for example, a gauge manufacturer (for speedo's/tachs, temp guages, etc) sells tint light boots for THEIR gauges, so you can change colors...but the boots are way too big for the bulbs in the faceplate of my particular stereo. I haven't been able to find a vendor the sells Tint Light Boots in a variety of sizes and colors, so far. I think the reason for this is that colored LED's are not the popular choice for colored back lighting. I COULD use colored LED's but I don't believe that I can successfully un-solder and re-solder bulbs in the printed circuit board.

The LCD: I bought a spare/junk faceplate off ebay and took it apart. On mid '90's Alpines (like the unit that I'm working on) there is a single clear bulb that illuminates the LCD. The bulbs' light is spread across the LCD with a clear plastic defuser. Between that and the actual LCD sandwich is a piece of green tint film that gives the LCD it's green color. I found orange tint film on line that is used in stage lighting. It's thin, flexible and I can cut some to fit or replicate the shape of the green piece that is in the LCD now, and installing the orange on place of the green, behind the LCD should make the LCD orange.