Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Show you berlinetta radio setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Berlinetta
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Show you berlinetta radio setup

Hey looking for replace my factory radio with a modern one. I was think of cut a hole with the cruise control switch is. Looking for people who have done it or something else.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: 5.0 LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Peg Leg
Re: Show you berlinetta radio setup

There were two places that the cruise switch was mounted; at the very front of the console, where it starts to curve up just under the dash, and in the middle of the console where the window switches are. I think you want to put it in the front part. It's going to take a lot of hacking to get it to fit, and I doubt it's ever going to look halfway decent.
I would use the mounting box the that Leslie the Trey found on eBay. Flip it upside down and mount to the console. I've seen this done before and it looks good.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...housing-02.jpg

FYI: The 'pod' that sticks out of the console is just a control unit. The amp and tuner section is in a box underneath.

Last edited by DaveBerlinetta; 06-02-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey did you have any luckl with this? i am looking to do the same thing to mine. Yours is the one with that pod thing that swivels right? it's real unique? I was told i should replace the console but i figured it wouldnt be too much trouble just to mount it on the current one.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 5.0 LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Peg Leg

I got the mod to work last week. I ran a Zune thru it and it sounds fantastic! I've had a health issue come up that has kept me out of the garage, so I haven't been able to fully develop it yet. I took pics of what I did so far. I'll format them a bit tonight and get what I have posted.

Here's what I did. I bought a 3-foot long, 3.5mm extender cable and cut it in half. I used the jack section and stripped the bare wires about an 1/8" and soldered them to the last input of the mux chip (pins 4 and 11). Soldered the shield wire to pin 8 (gnd). I pulled the two resistors (R212, R214) that connect the control lines to the processor chip. That allowed the lines to be pulled up, forcing the mux to use the input I want.

That's it, it works great! The sound is better than I thought it would be, it wasn't overdriven at all. The radio was clear as a bell and mp3s that were ripped correctly sound terrific. The fader, balance and eq controls still work like they should. I just can't use the radio or tape because of the missing resistors. But by cutting the traces and adding a dpst switch, it can control the input.

I'm planning to mount two jacks on the side of the radio chassis, one for audio input and the other for a switch to control the input. By using jacks, I can easily pull the cables to remove the radio. I was thinking of mounting the switch and input jack on a plate fitted to replace the ash tray.

I hope this helps. I'll work on getting the pics marked up and posted.

Definitely keep the radio!! It was only produced for three years, and I think it gives the car some character. I hope this mod will keep more of them around.

Good Luck!