Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

How to stop skipping cd player & more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to stop skipping cd player & more.

I wanted to know from some people on here if they've had problems with their 3rd Gen's CD players skipping ALL the frigging time while driving & hitting bumps, holes, etc?

My CD player is a new one. It's made by Jensen I believe and I have the stock surround system in the car still. Whenever I hit bumps or anything slight on the road my CD's skip like crazy. Sometimes I can't even play a dang song and then I'm forced to turn it off.

So what would be the technical solution to this or is there one? What have you done to solve this problem in your 3rd Gen? Let me know what you're thinking. Thanks.

I'm thinking a JVC CD player?

Last edited by CamaroIROC88350; 02-05-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: How to stop skipping cd player & more.

make sure the back end of the player is well supported
so it can't jiggle.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1988 SC Convertible
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi w/PBR's

Originally Posted by CamaroIROC88350

It's made by Jensen

That's your problem. Jensens skip like crazy if you look even just look at them.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Car: '92 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305ci TPI
Transmission: 700R4 shifted
Axle/Gears: 2.73 (for now)

Originally Posted by FYRCHKN
That's your problem. Jensens skip like crazy if you look even just look at them.
Sad but true...

Make sure it's a solid mount - front & back, might help a little...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FYRCHKN
I see. Hmmm. Well the kid who sold me the car last spring had it installed JUST before I bought it. He spent around $120 to have it installed. It's a shitty CD player, it doesn't even play MP3's which I enjoy listening to much more. So what brand would you guys recommend I buy?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Pioneer has always been my brand of choice - good quality for the money... But right now I have the factory CD player in my Z - looks better than anything I have ever seen, plus I listen to the engine more than music anyway...
Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 AM

Car: 1983 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 2.8L, hopefully upgrading..
Transmission: BorgWarner T5, Made here in Muncie
Axle/Gears: stock

I prefer Alpine, Pioneer is a close runner up, but I've always ran Alpine, i've done an SQ install with my dad using their F1 status cd player (upwards of 2grand for the whole shebang). Best buy has a basic model alpine for sale right now under $100, well atleast they did a few weeks back, they still might.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1988 SC Convertible
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi w/PBR's

I've always had great luck with Pioneer and Kenwood. I just bought and installed a Kenwood KDC-MP642U in my car.

It has loads of features, direct ipod controls, rear aux input, remote, built in crossover.

I got it for less than $200 at Best Buy about a week ago.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 97 camaro with factory C/D system in it and it never skips. I know they will bolt right into a 3rd gen.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:45 AM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: tree-fiddy
Transmission: 700r4

I currently, have an Alpine in the 3rd gen as that's what it came with. All my previous vehicles have had Pioneer head units.
As far as the CD skipping it's because it's a cheap CD player with minimal or no skip protection memory.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85' Trans Am !best car ever!
Engine: 305tpi 215hp LB9 two bolt,
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: stock (3.27)

i got this sony xplode cd player. it skips all the time, it scratches the cds and when i try to eject the cd it barely comes out i have to use my finger nails to pinch the cd to pull it out, ill get it about 1/4 inch out and it sucks it back it every 5 seconds. TO change to cd, i have to get it out and put the new cd in, eject it again and put it back in. SUcks, ill give it to anybody who wants it for free pm me
Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by transam85dudeman
i got this sony xplode cd player. it skips all the time, it scratches the cds and when i try to eject the cd it barely comes out i have to use my finger nails to pinch the cd to pull it out, ill get it about 1/4 inch out and it sucks it back it every 5 seconds. TO change to cd, i have to get it out and put the new cd in, eject it again and put it back in. SUcks, ill give it to anybody who wants it for free pm me
LMAO!

Sounds like it would be better served using for target practice or a paper weight!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Car: 96 SS, 72 SS, 06 TBSS

Pioneer fan here. I run nothing but Pioneer in all my cars. I have always had great luck with there product. But I would say Kenwood would def be my second choice if it take to picking outta all the brands.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Had a Jensen. Bottom line, it was junk. Had an Alpine, didn't think much of it, but it was a bit older. Never could figure out that Sony eXplode's controls, so I just yanked it. Wasn't thrilled with the Clarion I got in a trade for my Grand Prix (yeah, right... I can't believe I gave that guy $100 off of the price of that car for that thing!). The JVC I had never worked with CDs, and I eventually gave up on it (even after I finally got the harness connector and instruction manual).

I prefer Eclipse. You can get add-ons for just about anything you want in your car. GPS, iPod, HD radio, SIRIUS, rear-view camera, and more, depending on the model. They aren't cheap, but neither is any decent aftermarket stereo. Only downside to Eclipse is that they make very few (or at least they did back in 2006 when I bought mine) models that have detachable face plates. Good news is that your stolen unit can be disabled and traced electronically in case something does happen. Although I never did bother with that for the CD-3402 I had stolen back in 2004...

:edit: Almost forgot. If you're not looking to go quite that expensive, I was happy with my Panasonic that I bought a couple of months after the CD-3402 was stolen. It was really pretty decent for the $100 I spent on it.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

Originally Posted by WildRidez
Pioneer fan here. I run nothing but Pioneer in all my cars. I have always had great luck with there product. But I would say Kenwood would def be my second choice if it take to picking outta all the brands.
I'm with you there, I've had a TON of different head units over the years. I've had problems with almost all of them over time.. I've never had a problem with any of the pioneer head units I've ever had.. I still have one thats been in 6 different cars I've had over the years.. it's nothing fancy but it works GREAT.. it's got to be at least 12 years old now, doesn't have too many features at all, but it never skips no matter what kind of bumpy road you're on and reads anything I put in it no matter how scratched or beat up (even cheap off brand burnt cd's) If their products are still made to the same quality as my old head unit than I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their products. The next head unit I buy WILL be a pioneer. I'm just not that crazy into car audio as some people, I simply like something that works and sounds good and my trusty old pioneer satisfys both of those things so it has been in every hot rod I've ever owned and will continue to be until it finally dies (or becomes so obsolete that I HAVE to replace it.. it's pretty much already there since it has no mp3 player attachment.. but I don't own an mp3 player so..).
Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

Originally Posted by CamaroIROC88350
I wanted to know from some people on here if they've had problems with their 3rd Gen's CD players skipping ALL the frigging time while driving & hitting bumps, holes, etc?

My CD player is a new one. It's made by Jensen I believe and I have the stock surround system in the car still. Whenever I hit bumps or anything slight on the road my CD's skip like crazy. Sometimes I can't even play a dang song and then I'm forced to turn it off.

So what would be the technical solution to this or is there one? What have you done to solve this problem in your 3rd Gen? Let me know what you're thinking. Thanks.

I'm thinking a JVC CD player?
I've owned several jensen cd players.. they're all done this.. lesson learned.. they were cheap and had a TON of features for the price.. they just sucked at playing cd's.. and forget playing burned cd's..
Old 02-13-2010, 05:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
Had a Jensen. Bottom line, it was junk. Had an Alpine, didn't think much of it, but it was a bit older. Never could figure out that Sony eXplode's controls, so I just yanked it. Wasn't thrilled with the Clarion I got in a trade for my Grand Prix (yeah, right... I can't believe I gave that guy $100 off of the price of that car for that thing!). The JVC I had never worked with CDs, and I eventually gave up on it (even after I finally got the harness connector and instruction manual).

I prefer Eclipse. You can get add-ons for just about anything you want in your car. GPS, iPod, HD radio, SIRIUS, rear-view camera, and more, depending on the model. They aren't cheap, but neither is any decent aftermarket stereo. Only downside to Eclipse is that they make very few (or at least they did back in 2006 when I bought mine) models that have detachable face plates. Good news is that your stolen unit can be disabled and traced electronically in case something does happen. Although I never did bother with that for the CD-3402 I had stolen back in 2004...

:edit: Almost forgot. If you're not looking to go quite that expensive, I was happy with my Panasonic that I bought a couple of months after the CD-3402 was stolen. It was really pretty decent for the $100 I spent on it.
Thanks for all of the answers guys. I am glad I wasn't the only one to have this problem with the Jensen brand. I didn't have any choice with it since I didn't buy it. I'm lucky to have a CD player in the car at all! Haha.

I have a JVC in my Jeep and it is GREAT! That's why I was thinking about installing one of those JVC's (the same kind in my IROC) since it's been awesome for me in my Jeep.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Another thing: There is a brand out there (Pioneer or Jensen, I don't recall ATM, could even be JVC) that has a feature called SuperBass. If you get one of these H/U's, don't use this feature if you like your speakers. I've heard this from several audio shops.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:41 PM

Car: 1987 Trans am (SOLD), 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

I got an alpine 9833 for sale......One of the best of Alpine if u ask me...

variable ill.....pretty much any color u can think of...
3 way crossovers..
5 band parametric equalizer...
Swing Display (3 positions)
4 volt pre outs...
Media Xpander
Bass engine
6 Channel Time aligment

Aaaand it has the famous alpine V drive...any "good" conventional Head unit will put out about 18 w rms per channel ....the internal amp in this HU puts out 26 w rms per channel

PM me if interested...
Old 02-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Car: 1987 Trans am (SOLD), 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Oh and if your stereo skips a lot ... u can try this...

http://gizmodo.com/381097/the-most-g...ws-seem-classy