Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Q about using sh*tty subs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Formula WS6, 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 305 TBI, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4w/vette servos
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Open, 3.42 Open
Q about using sh*tty subs

Alright, so I totally CANNOT make up my mind on what to do. First off let me say I'll be listening to like Tom Petty, Billy Squire, Whitesnake, and Zeppelin in my car. Stuff that doesn't have a lot of bass to begin with. I'm using a stock radio with a line level converter. I want a 10 or 12" sub but I don't have or want to spend alot of cash (like $250 tops). What is so crappy about something like a dual, pyle, or crunch low wattage sub and amp? Is it gonna be full of static and noise or just not hit hard at all? This is gonna be fairly low volume BTW. I've got nice alpine speakers and tweeters so we are only talking about bass here.
Thanks for bearing with me guys. I'm a total IDIOT when it comes to car audio.
Alex
Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Q about using sh*tty subs

for that price u could get a 100 dollar mono amp thats stable at 2 ohms, (good brand) , lets say cause im a bit biased, a infinity 12" off crutchfield for 50, or off ebay for 60, and u can build a box for like 30 dollars. oh plus 30 more for wires(id might as well go 4ga)
so that brings the grand total too 240 not too bad i think
Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks for tip, was thinking about using infinity stuff for a bit. But I made a deal with my friend. He was REALLY cheap subs in his caddy. So I'll buy some cheap stuff for my camaro and if it isn't good enough for me he'll buy it off me for what I paid for it. Sounds good to me. I'm getting dual subs and a dual amp. I'm sure it'll sound like crap but whatever. Doesn't cost me anything! Might post a sound clip when I get it going. Thanks guys.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 PM

Car: 1987 Trans am (SOLD), 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Good Luck with the duals.....not flaming or anything, but I see where you are coming from....You are thinking:
What can possibly go wrong? IM not gonna be blasting beats with the volume all the way up, maybe I get some decent bass with these.

And thats when you find out that the bass doesnt hit hard,if it does hit, it only does it for a while cuz it gets hot etc.

I ve never tried dual subs or amps, for that matter anything dual, but my friend got all this gear from pep boys (except his head unit)...and after about 5 months he upgraded everything.

good luck though

Last edited by 87 WHITE GTA; 10-21-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks for input, I see what you mean. I looked up a lot of reviews on the subs I'm looking and people give them around 3 stars. I know I probably won't be fully satisfied with it, but I doubt I'll use it that much any way. I'm just looking for something like camaronewbie has. It's cheap and it works, maybe not that great but whatever. Guess I'm just a stubborn mule Thanks again
Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 PM

Go with the duals, they generally are a safe bet for first systems anyway. I got duals for my first setup because they were cheap haha. I later upgraded but while I had them they put out some decent bass, I thought it was really good but then after I got my new setups I realized what I had been missing but I'd vote go for it. The premade Dual Bandpass boxes generally go for a good price.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

nova: This is the sub that I basically have - this one is newer I'm assuming, since I've had this about 2 years now at least.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218063828951

This is the amp I have - again this one is newer, but basically the same:

http://www.americanthunderaudio.com/...spx?id=1394162

The kenwood sub - probably rated decent in most respects. The American Pro Bass Machine amp - probably rated crappy by most respects - but like I said, it makes a great sound for me (and OUR music tastes), and hits nicely for an old fart like myself.

Those two (or similar such) items will get you in under $200, with plenty left over for the rear deck cover to mount the sub in (cost me like 25 with the grills), and still plenty left over for wiring (really just need enough 4 guage wire to get to trunk from positive battery, and a 100amp inline fuse close to battery, and another 2 ft chunk of 4ga wire for the negative that can be attached to body in the trunk.

I think it's important to spend wisely on the sub first - it makes the sound - the amp just sends the signal to it. That amp above has never had a heating issue - doesn't even hardly get warm to the touch), and will expand to two subs, is BRIDGEABLE and has a BUILT-IN CROSSOVER (whatever those are lol).

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Nothing wrong with cheap if you check the numbers and/or specs before you buy. [ I won't even admit to what all I got but it sound good to about 95% volume and has impressed my auidophile friends]

Like a box thats says 1000watt peek, only $20 and the box is light as a feather. Sure you can pump em with all the juice you want and not blow, they arent ever gonna get loud.

Same on amps, check the specs, as member some of the cheap amps today, have the technology of what was hot 3-5 years ago.

But the #1 thing to make cheap stuff sound good is the radio.
Gotta man up on a good head unit, if it can feed clean sound into the cheap stuff, your ahead of the game. I always use Pioneer PEROID , since super tuner is standard you can pick up everything easy with no atenna. But you have to get one with sub outs, only those are super clean enough for good bass on cheap. And the radio will handle all mids n high just fine. You can get some real nice units factory refurb for cheap on ebay. Can get ya some links.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 AM

Car: 1984 Berlinetta,'82 and '86 Camaro
Engine: Rebuilt 350
Transmission: Automatic. =[
Axle/Gears: Stock

I'm pretty sure i have a "super tuner" in my 86... PO put it in, it looks ancient, still has a cassette player? Doesn't seem to be to bad.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E

If you're looking to stay cheap, go used on your amp. I've bought most of my amps used at less than half cost on ebay to save some cash. Also gets you something higher quality than what the same amount of money would get you new.
Subs - get one good one instead of 2 cheapy ones. Take a look around parts express' website; lots of good buy-out stuff for little money and great service
Wiring - walmart's your friend for once. Decent kits for not much money and everything you need to get the job done.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, helped alot! I've been reading around some audio forums and it sounds like the dual subs will be good enough for me. Just enough to give def leppard a little more thump. I'm gonna look around on craigslist and see what I can find used before I buy anything, which won't be til next week when I get paid. Thanks again guys.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

if you can find some older '80s-90s "old skool"u.s. made
amps,those will really rock without real high rated watts
in my '69 camaro(back in '87) i had a 12" realistic sub
in a sealed enclosure behind the rear seat powered by
a PPI 50x50 watt amp -it just thundered,made my
pant legs flutter and the mirrors useless same amp is
now serving in my '82 powering a 10" hollywood sound
labs "excursion"
some "old skool" us made amps include PPI,orion,hafler,
hifonics,rockford fosgate, and others more recent amps
and speakers from some of these companies might be
just cheap crap from china,indonesia etc.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: Soon to be LS 6.0
Transmission: Soon to be mn12
Axle/Gears: Strange 9in 4.10

Originally Posted by 1A Dan
If you're looking to stay cheap, go used on your amp. I've bought most of my amps used at less than half cost on ebay to save some cash. Also gets you something higher quality than what the same amount of money would get you new.
Subs - get one good one instead of 2 cheapy ones. Take a look around parts express' website; lots of good buy-out stuff for little money and great service
Wiring - walmart's your friend for once. Decent kits for not much money and everything you need to get the job done.
I agree, used isn't always bad. Used audio equipment is generally ok as compared to used auto parts. You can get good name products at a second rate price, I have a used audio system and it works outstanding considering the amount of money I paid for it. Check your local craigslist.