Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Newbie here! Help needed with dual 10" box please

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird/Trans am
Engine: 305 CI, Tonnes of Chrome!
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 245 tires
Newbie here! Help needed with dual 10" box please

First off, i have tried the seach, and recieved minimal to no results of what im looking for.

Hi, im completely new to this forum. I have a 1986 Pontiac Firebird/Trans am and i want to make a custom box for the back, where it goes down. I'll be using 3/4" MDF. I need to make the box for 2 10" subs. Would like it to be ported, but if its too much of a hassle i'll go sealed. The subs im running are 10" Alpine Type R's. 1500w peak, 500w RMS.

I am wondering if anyone here has made a dual 10" box for the back where it goes down, that big pocket, because if so it would be perfect if they could email me the plans and dimensions they used. *Dual 10" Box*, remember i am new to this forum, but i do know a little about car audio, so please no flameing and any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 AM

Re: Newbie here! Help needed with dual 10" box please

Bump!

Any help is appreciated i know tonnes of you guys have built boxes for these cars before :P
Old 05-09-2009, 02:43 PM

Car: 92 Z03 RS TBI
Engine: 5.0 L03
Transmission: T-5

Sticky in this very forum. I think it's page 2 where someone posted the pdf. It'll work for 10s and 12s. Just look through each post in the sub box dimensions sticky. a lot of good info there
and welcome. Use the MDF, get liquid nails to hold it together, and silicone to seal it up. ALso, rope caulk is good for mounting the subs.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:05 AM

Car: Firechicken
Engine: 350 + 30 over, 400 crank
Transmission: autotragic, stalled
Axle/Gears: not a one tire fire, thank god!

Seems like you may be new to the car audio world. Sealed is the best way to go if you are starting out. I made a sealed box because I like SQ not SPL. Sealed is also more forgiving in mistakes if the box isn't the right size. Alpine R's are a good product, I had two 12 R's before I switch to X's and they were powered by an MRD-1005 amp. It was way loud and quite clear. You'll be happy with a sealed box. Ported is over rated. How big of a port or vent to you want? I assume you listen to rap and rock music. Having a big hangover doesn't sound good with alpine, they sound muddy. Alpine sounds great with tight bass that you would get with a sealed box. If you want hangover for your subs, find someone to trade for Diamond D3's, then build a vented box, not ported.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:46 AM

Car: 92 Z03 RS TBI
Engine: 5.0 L03
Transmission: T-5

All4u, not bad advice, except a properly tuned ported box will sound better than a sealed. That said, it can become extremely complicated tuning the port length for your subs and desired frequencies.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 AM

Car: Firechicken
Engine: 350 + 30 over, 400 crank
Transmission: autotragic, stalled
Axle/Gears: not a one tire fire, thank god!

Sound better? Sorry but that is an opinion, it might sound better to what ever music you listen to. Try listening to Frank Sinatra in a vented box. When you think that sounds like garbage, play Marvin Gaye, and Lonestar's Amazed. Tell me what is sounds like in a vented box. Then drop in Darude, BassMasters, or anything from DJ Tiesto. It'll sound awesome. It isn't a magic trick, it's just that your opinion and type of music you listen to come into play when building a box. Sealed is very forgiving for different kinds of music and the best way to go for a beginner who hasn't built a box before.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Car: 1971 Camaro

Originally Posted by FireBirdFever27
Bump!

Any help is appreciated i know tonnes of you guys have built boxes for these cars before :P
Are you too lazy to use the search function? Or better yet just scroll down a little bit on this page and look

Yeesh I'm starting to sound like Stephen now But I can now understand why he get's frustrated with the laziness of people sometimes.

Especially when you take the time to do a "how to" or detail info on the very same question the newbie is asking........

EDIT: Here I've made it easy for you, it was on the second page of this forum and even aptly titled so you could have found it.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-...-built-my.html
Old 05-10-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 88TransAmFreak
Are you too lazy to use the search function? Or better yet just scroll down a little bit on this page and look

Yeesh I'm starting to sound like Stephen now But I can now understand why he get's frustrated with the laziness of people sometimes.

Especially when you take the time to do a "how to" or detail info on the very same question the newbie is asking........

EDIT: Here I've made it easy for you, it was on the second page of this forum and even aptly titled so you could have found it.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-...-built-my.html

Yes, i found that after the first guy politely pointed it out, without your rudeness. As stated before, i am new to this site the day i made this thread, i tried the search and at the time it returned no results of my liking. I now have the plans for my box, i am making it sealed thanks to the great advice from all you guys!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM

Car: 1971 Camaro