Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

I know nothing

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not sure, gotta look it up
I know nothing

I've got this Alpine deck, CD changer, amp, cross over and speakers in my '87 IROC. I want to return the car to all original and this has to go. I have no idea how old this equipment is but it is in perfect working order and sounds pretty damn good. Any idea what the whole, working take out, system would be worth?

So I have to admit I know nothing about this stuff, it looks like an amateur install and as mentioned is fully functional. The grills on the drivers (Dr Crankenstein's) are caved in but it hasn't affected the speaker cones.

The Amp is Sony 4/3/2 Channel Power Amplifier XM-4040 MOSFET

Crossover is a Legacy LXR-1

CD changer is an Alpine CHM-5611

I don't know what model the head unit is but it's got some wear and tear, buttons have faded, tape deck works fine. It has a removable face.

Last edited by KnottyBuoyz; 04-27-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 PM

Re: I know nothing

eesh, I'll be honest...stuff is a bit older - alpine and sony stuff are higher end than speakers and x-over. The speakers are Walmart from mid 90's - the box is custom though - probably worth more than the speakers to the right person. Legacy is nothing great, but it works for what it does. I'd think you could get 275 for the whole system, if you break it up, 125 for deck and changer, 75 for amp, 50 for box and subs, 25 for x-over.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-Bolt LSD

I have collected so much older car audio equipment like that in the years I had installed car stereos, customers just leave it and I couldnt bring my self to toss it. Honestly you would be lucky to get anything for a cassete player with cd change, the only people who would be intersted are people who still have cassettes, have a period car that they want a period stereo in, or that are just cheap. I have sold similar set ups for 50 bucks and thought I got a good deal.

As far as the subs and amps that is a different boat, some kid in highschool will always want subs but won't have the cash to buy new. You might be able to sell the box here on TGO. Cross overs arent really in high demand, most modern radios have a built in one to handle the average uses needs, and a people running high end systems don't want older equipment.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not sure, gotta look it up

Thanks for the replies fella's. I was thinkin' a couple hundred bucks maybe. You're right, find some kid who wants to rattle the rearview mirror and this could be the setup. I think I'll toss it up on Craigslist and see what kind of interest I get. I'd leave it in the car working so that a new prospective owner can see that it does work and take it out and document the wiring at the same time.