Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Audio Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 6.7 Powerstroke
Audio Insulation

I'm planning on getting my car reupholstered soon, so would it be smart to tear the carpet out myself and dynomat it or maybe see if there is a local shop that will do it for a price?
Thanks, 3rd
Old 01-26-2009, 07:10 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Re: Audio Insulation

Great time to do your damping. Be prepared if you plan to do the whole intertior...it'll be expensive. More so if you pay someone else to do it. It's not difficult, just time consuming.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 PM

So like what do I exactly have to do to do it? I just need to buy the dyno mat (online or at an best buy?), then i just cover my whole floor pans or just around the speaker parts, or in the rear well, where i plan to have a sub?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 AM

Car: 91 Firebird, 06 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine: 3.1L, 4.7L
Transmission: 700r4, 45RFE
Axle/Gears: 3.23 open, 3.55?

That depends on where and how much u actually want to put into your car. Ideally for best performance(and must i add a very quiet, new sounding car) i would apply it on the floor, doors and around the rear hatch area. Also use different kinds on the different spots. I personally think dynamat is way over priced. Do a little research and find another name brand. There are plenty out there. I haven't done this to my car yet but have in other peoples cars. It really helps with audio but i was surprised how well it blocked out road noise. It can really make a car sound so much better. Its like going from a winter beater to a Lexus(btw Lexus does add extra sound damping all over the place so you have that quiet sound)...I would love to do this to my car but right now my interior is in such good shape that i really don't want to take it all apart and risk breaking something. Maybe in 3 yrs or so when i have to replace the carpet or something. good luck man. Its not hard to apply at all. I would recommend shop vac'in the car very well after the interior is all out...then taking paint thinner and rubbing all the services to be applied to down. It will help in adhesion. Also buying one of those lil roller things helps a lot!!!!! have fun man. The results will be amazing!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 AM

I do car audio installs for a living, and when it comes to dynomat (or something similar), you best make sure you have a ton of time to do it if you're doing it yourself. One huge thing is to make sure your car is in a warm climate. I live up in New Hampshire, and trying to dynomat in a car that has been sitting in 30 degree temperature is difficult. Like mentioned above, make sure you clean the area you're applying the dynomat to, do a quick clean to remove dust and debris, then rub down with paint thinner or rubbing alcohol. Heating up the dynomat with a heat gun, or hair dryer is really useful before applying as well. Then like mentioned, use a hand roller. I only did the rear area of my car for my single subwoofer, and it was a night and day difference. I will be doing the floors shortly, so we'll see how much of a difference that makes.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Alright, well the heat part is covered. I live in socal, and right now its like a balmy 80 degrees. Okay well it sounds simple enough, ill shop around and then set aside a Saturday/Sunday and give her a go. Thanks guys.

-3rd
Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 AM

Car: 1983 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 2.8L, hopefully upgrading..
Transmission: BorgWarner T5, Made here in Muncie
Axle/Gears: stock

Check on sonicelectronix for the dynamat.. i believe the bulk pak of the extreme is ~$130 and its 36sq ft... you dont have to get the xtreme, regular dynamat works just fine...

p.s. - i envy your weather.. we just got a good 8 inches of snow.. and i was hoping for warm weather..