Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

speaker magnet against the frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc convertible
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T-5, swapped it in.
Axle/Gears: no clue, but I'll learn
speaker magnet against the frame

OK, so I'm trying to sneak 6x9 3-ways in the rear side panels in my 88 vert. I can just get them in, but the magnets would be up against the frame rails. Bad to do, or can I get away with that? Thought I could build the side panels up enough for clearance, but still against the frame. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Car: 1992Firebird white
Engine: 305 TBI w/ holley open element
Transmission: automatic
Axle/Gears: i think 2.73 tell me if im rong
Re: speaker magnet against the frame

i would only worry about clearance as far adepth goes. but i wouldnt worry about it being near the frame if its speaker performance that your worried about, it shouldnt have any affect. the only thing i think would be bad is if you had two speakers back to back and and the magnets touching or too close that would mess em up a little. but as far as your question goes i would make sure your not tuching the back of the speaker to metal, only for the sake of vibration would i be concerned. but if room or depth is a problem in wich you were still touching just a little, you can use a small amount of dynamat or some equivilent to act as a cushion. or even rig it whith a fat bead of silicone where you think its makeing contact, let it dry comletely and that might act like a bumper. i hope this helps you out, good luck.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 305 V8 TBI
Axle/Gears: 4.1

If it IS actually going to touch, see if you can't shim it out even a hair or two more and put a sheet of thin Dynamat in there. Best stuff ever, and I think you can get it down as thin as 1/8"....put a piece in there, squish the speaker up against it, and you shouldn't have an issue.

AR
Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 PM

thanks guys. It's very tight, but I'll give the dynamat a try. I was concerned about some issue with the frame/magnet. Plus I figured there would be rattle issues. Plus I'm going to have to mount everything to the panels, then try to jimmy the trim panels back in. Almost more trouble than it's worth, trying to get 6x9's in there. May search the site for the best speaker for in there. Just trying for the best sound in a vert without spending a million bucks.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 305 V8 TBI
Axle/Gears: 4.1

Sound in a vert is almost a contradiction in terms. I've got a '91 RS Vert with stock component set, and a Pioneer 10" sub in the trunk (not my install, sadly, so not such a great sub)...Anything more than highway speeds, and the exhaust/wind drowns out the stereo. New components, new subs, and some InCarEntertainment are on my winter to-do list.

AR
Old 09-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Car: 1992Firebird white
Engine: 305 TBI w/ holley open element
Transmission: automatic
Axle/Gears: i think 2.73 tell me if im rong

Originally Posted by Crouchman
thanks guys. It's very tight, but I'll give the dynamat a try. I was concerned about some issue with the frame/magnet. Plus I figured there would be rattle issues. Plus I'm going to have to mount everything to the panels, then try to jimmy the trim panels back in. Almost more trouble than it's worth, trying to get 6x9's in there. May search the site for the best speaker for in there. Just trying for the best sound in a vert without spending a million bucks.
if your looking for best sound w/o spendin alot of cash and ur willing to buy online i recamend www.onlinecarstereo.com . go to there speakers page and search price low to high and see what interests you. its one of the less expensive sites that has free shipping when you spend $99 or more
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS t-top
Engine: 305 Jasper
Transmission: 700R4

Brad's point is right.I say look at Crutchfield for the simple reason they have a 'what will fit my car' selector. See what will actually fit, then buy that speaker from onlinecarstereo.Of course, I'm from the old school and I would just wrap some old T-shirt material around the magnets of the speakers you have, and secure it with a big a** rubberband.Whatever you want to do--Just my $.02.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:35 AM

Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305, holley 4bbl. stock for now
Transmission: th200c, 700r4 coming in spring

have you considered doing a 6 1/2" component set? you could easily make plates that would fill the 6x9 hole, and you would have a touch more clearance. i understand if you already have your 6x9s though.

my $.02
Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM

I made the plates already, previous owner had cut the 6x9" holes, speakers were cockeyed, etc. No covers. Terrible. I figured I could figure out a way to make it good. I'm close, but they do stick out, but it's rare anyone rides in the back. I did make the mistake of cutting the panels rectangular and they lay on the armrests on the bottom, which makes them not level at the top. So I'm going to do those over.
----------
yeah, I got 'em from onlinecarstereo, didn't know about the cutchfield thing. I'm gonn go look at that.

Last edited by Crouchman; 09-11-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-12-2008, 02:13 PM

Location: I live just across the border from detroit in a town called windsor in ontario Canada
Car: 1992 Firebird convertible
Engine: 5 litre 305 tbi
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: stock 2.72

hey man, i got a 92 vert.. and theres no way 2 "sneak" the 6x9s in there, i got them into mine, although i kinda regret it, the metal frame ur talkin about is on an angle, so i just tilted the 6x9 upwards and to the front a little bit, it works fine, looks really good from far a way, but when u look closely u can see the space, if ur not lazy like i thought i wasnt, u could mayby shape a peice of wood and cover it with vynl or something.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:37 PM

exactly what I did - made wook plates & covered with gray vinyl. I also used the speaker raised bracket thing to get them out farther. Not my favorite look, but what the heck. I re-looked at them, and stayed with the rectangles. Not too bad. I'll look at them some more and see if they say they ought to stay that way.