Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

PRoblem with Pioneer headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS Heritage
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TCI 700r4
PRoblem with Pioneer headunit

Hi guys. I'm having a problem with my Pioneer DEH P7200. Its an older unit, but has served me well through the years I've owned it. It currently driving Infinity Kappa 693's in the sail panels, and stock/original 4x6's up front. No amps, no subs. I have Pioneer's iPod adapter installed. Its wired properly with an adapter, no hacking into the factory wiring at all. All the connections are soldered and taped (I was out of heat shrink tubing).
Yesterday, it stopped producing any sound at all. It powers up fine and seems to be functioning as normal. CDs will play, it seems to get AM/FM signals, and it recognizes the iPod adapter and I can still control my iPod with it. Just no sound comes from the speakers. I do get a slight pop from the left rear speaker upon power up, but nothing else.
I'll be checking for shorts at the speakers when I get home tonight, and I have the stock CD player I can put back in for testing (even though the CD player no longer works). Anything else I should check? Think my headunit has finally gone kaputski after 10 years?

Dave
Old 08-07-2008, 03:54 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 T.B.I
Transmission: 700R4 w/shift kit 3500 stall
Axle/Gears: ??? Soon to be 3.73
Re: PRoblem with Pioneer headunit

[quote=Big Dave;3850093]Hi guys. I'm havinP7200. Its an older unit, but has served me well through the years I've owned it. It currently driving Infinity Kappa 693's in the sail panels, and stock/original 4x6's up front. No amps, no subs. I have Pioneer's iPod adapter installed. Its wired properly with an adapter, no hacking into the factory wiring at all. All the connections are soldered and taped (I was out of heat shrink tubing).
Yesterday, it stopped producing any sound at all. It powers up fine and seems to be functioning as normal. CDs will play, it seems to get AM/FM signals, and it recognizes the iPod adapter and I can still control my iPod with it. Just no sound comes from the speakers. I do get a slight pop from the left rear speaker upon power up, but nothing else.
I'll be checking for shorts at the speakers when I get home tonight, and I have the stock CD player I can put back in for testing (even though the CD player no longer works). Anything else I should check? Think my headunit ha
Old 08-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 T.B.I
Transmission: 700R4 w/shift kit 3500 stall
Axle/Gears: ??? Soon to be 3.73

I don't know if I'm in the right spot to reply to your question, but I have seen this promblem before! I don't know why alot of the older pioneer's lose their sound from direct hook-up, but it can be resolved very easily! All u have to do is run a small amp! Your sound will have to come from the rca jacks now! I can almost promise that this will work too!!! I have had this problem on more than one occassion with pioneer's!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 AM

Car: 1992 RS Heritage
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TCI 700r4

I reinstalled the factory CD player and everything worked but the left rear speaker. So I took it out and found one of the wires was grounding to the body of the car. Fixed that, put my Pioneer back in, all is well.

Dave