Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Total Audio system for my camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Audio system for my camaro

I have a 92 camaro, and am in desperate need of a new system. Still has the stock 6x9s and 4x6s.
I want to get a decent sub, amp, and headunit at least for now, and then maybe ditch the 6x9s and get better 4x6s later.
I have:
$290 to spend now
An alpine amp (mrv-t303) which I'm thinking would be capable of running the 2x4s amplified
I have a 12cd alpine changer, but I don't really see the point. I'd at least want one with an audio input so I could use my mp3 player, and most modern head units have mp3 cd support.

Right now I have an aftermarket kenwood headunit. The thing has to be at least 10 years old though, and doesn't even play custom burned cds (that are still in like audio format, not mp3). So I have the mounting taken care of though.

What would be the best for my money? I listen to mostly rock, and am looking for something that has some kick, but is still good quality. Am I right in assuming that it's much better to have a 200watt 97db sensitivity vs. a 1000watt 87db?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:00 AM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-Bolt LSD
Re: Total Audio system for my camaro

if you listen to rock you might want to upgrade your speakers before dropping in a sub. i would reccomend the polk db series speakers they are pretty good for the price but everyone is going to have their own opionion. Your factory speakers were made of paper, they are 16 years old, they are spent. i bet that the surround is nonexhistent and there is just a paper cone sitting in a metal basket.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 PM

Yeah... Would it be okay to use the alpine for those front speakers though? and what's a good cheap website to look at? I've been mainly looking at stuff on ebay :P.
EDIT: I do know about crutchfield, but what else Can I look at?

How is this for a sub package?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...PIOBL12&tp=442

Last edited by asting; 04-30-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 PM

Car: '90 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L

not sure where youre from, but you can try craigslist for subs and amps. you can find some really good deals on there. just be patient and wait til you find something really cheap. dont fall for scams by comparing prices and dont jump on the first thing you see
Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 AM

yeah I checked craigslist and didn't see any good deals. Most were like xplod and the like, and were overpriced.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 formula
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5

I like ebay when I need cheap things. They sell new stuff there for way less than anyone else, just doesn't come with the manufacturer's warranty. I saved a hundred dollars on a sub by getting it on ebay.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Car: '90 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L

ebay is good too. just be careful and read the whole ad. i dont like ebay as much because you cant test it before you buy it and shipping is always a lot
Old 05-01-2008, 02:48 PM

yeah ebay is nice. Unfortunately, I don't see that sub/amp combo on there. Would something like this work for my 4x6s with my alpine amp? I know it doesn't have very good db sens though... http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-SPS-406-4...QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: Also, would I need just one set of preamp out and could I just use the regular left and right as preamp? Or would I need like 3 sets?

Alright, here's my final plan right now:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=detailed_info
this for the sub/amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UIe9gR8...DW10&s=0&cc=01
that for the head unit. And I have a discount for a free $25 gift card with 150 and over, and then a discount for 20 off 100 or more so that'll kncok of 45 (I'll use the giftcard towards the headunit).
Also, I plan on getting the amp wiring kit on ebay because they're $20 compared to the $109 ones on crutchfield.
I'll still keep the alpine amp and probably pick up some 4x6s too, just not sure what yet...

Last edited by asting; 05-01-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM

k so I got most of the stuff. Need to order the JBL 4x6s, and get my amp wiring kits. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2629567/2 I've updated and have pictures about my stereo on the third page. Also, I have the headunit in already.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Car: 92 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

components are the best and are not hard at all to install in the rear but the front will need some plates that are kinda tricky but effective. Run NOTHING on the head unit because the sound quallity is poor compared to a amp and never trust the power rating. When I bought my car I had the entire stereo system out within a week and had 5.25 components in the front, 6.5components rear, image tweeters front, concert tweeters rear, two bazooka 10's in a ported box in the rear. When I started I had choosen to go with a stock look because my interior was so clean and nice so I had to hide everything and what I couldn't hide had to be on display in a very classy manner with no wires showing. Don't half *** your installation and if your gonna do it then do it right the first time and do your research before you buy anything because some cheap speakers will out perform the exspensive ones same thing for amps.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:04 PM

yeah I've definitely looked around. I just need some Amp wiring, to build a nice enclosure, and I need to purchase some 4x6s. I'm thinking I Might just dump the 6x9s because that's what others have suggested in the past. That and The way they're mounted you can only really hear them if you're in the back. I know most of the stuff about the 4x6 issues and mounting depth. THe sub package I got I think was a steal because of the 97db sensitivity.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 PM

just thought I'd reply to say that The enclosure is just about done. I'm just waiting on the terminals, then I can mount the subs.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 PM

Just a little update. I've seen some infinity kappas locally for a decent price. They're 4x6s, and I might get them. Also, to T-Top owners, I have a solution!!! I have T-Tops, and was disappointed when I didn't know
a) where I'd mount my amp
B) How the T-Tops would fit over it
Well I think I have a solution. It's a spacer which raises the T-Tops. They should still be able to strap down, and will be secure, but will clear most amps and Subs with the Trunk well enclosure. I made a little draw up in sketchup

Also updated my cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2629567/3
and it has some good pics. Also, what do you think of th spacer?

Last edited by asting; 05-14-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM

the best site i have found is www.sonicelectronix.com they have everything for car stereos for like half off retail...best shot imo
Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 PM

ah. Unfortunately I'm about done. All I need are the 4x6 infinity kappas. I found a new pair locally for $30!! Should be great. I also just need a wiring kit, some sub grills, and some carpetting. I sold my alpine cd changer, so I should have enough cash. Oh and my sub box is complete, I'm just waiting on my car (it's getting it's body work done, unfortunately I can't do that part myself).
Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 PM

well I started the install when I got my car back from the body shop, and all seemed to go well. However, Somehow my stereo wouldn't turn on when I put my dash back together. I pulled out my multimeter and found that it was the white harness (not the one that plugs into the stereo). I get 12-14v ground-battery volts before and 0 after. I ordered a new one for $11, but I really didn't want to have to wait for it. This'll at least give me time to work on my T-Tops and get the rest of my components (like my nice carpet, and my second amp wiring kit).
Old 05-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Car: 02 Mustang
Engine: 3.8 about to be punched out to 4.3
Transmission: 4R70W
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Detroit true trac

what did you end up going with other then the infinities?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Well a JVC Head unit the KD-HWD10, the blaupunkt pca 1350 mono amp (500 watts rms at 2 ohms), 2 Pioneer 97db sensitivity 150rms watt 12" subs, an alpine 2 channel amp which I had before. 50watt rms. That and the kappas. Should sound great once I get the new harness and the second wiring kit. also waiting on the carpeting.