Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Best Security System

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28/99 Aurora
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI/4.0 V8
Transmission: 700r4/?
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.08
Best Security System

I would like to know what security system do you guys use and what luck have you had with it. I have had my radio and personal belongings stolen three time now and all the police and apartment complex say is to bad so sad. I have replaced my door locks twice because who ever keeps breaking into it breaks the locks. Some advice would be great on which way I should go. Im getting to freakin annoyed with this and its costing me a fortune.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:28 AM

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: Built chevy 350
Transmission: TCI Built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi 10 bolt
Re: Best Security System

I keep this in my garage with my car...lol! Works real good nobody has broke into my garage or my car! Oh I see you live in michigan I do too...I will rent you my security system for a while but he will not let you into your car either...lol! On a serious note I would either get a viper or python alarm with the remote that alerts you when your alarm goes off.

Last edited by 4playta; 10-18-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

DEI / Viper... has made excellent alarms for years. I see their latest has a 1 mile range, so that when the alarm goes off, it relays it to the alarm transmitter to alert you up to 1 mile away...

Now the next choice... do you really want to risk bodily harm or even death to save your $300 stereo?

Look at installing a stealth system or removeable faceplate...

I have an old school smoke defense machine, it hooks up to alarm and fills the interior with thick stage smoke... harmless, but effective... again, just buys more time...

Raf
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM

My suggestion to you, even htough I don't currently have an alarm but do plan to do exactly this when I get my system in and all the bells and whistels have been installed, is to get a viper alarm with the remote that lets you know when your alarm goes off, get a CCW and start packin' heat. That's my plan and I would love to see the look on somebody's face when they got a 44 pointed at their a$$ as they are tryin to rip off my ****.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 AM

Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28/99 Aurora
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI/4.0 V8
Transmission: 700r4/?
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.08

I like the idea of an attack dog but thats a no go since I dont have a garage. Luvo where did you get that smoke machine thing at? I put a couple of 1 dollar "protected by viper security" stickers on my car and a blinking light. It seems to be working until I can afford a good system. Im going to go with one with a 2 way pager.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

It is a few years old... I picked one up on ebay for $5.50! But I don't see many there... I do see a european company sell a similar product, but it's about $700...

Raf
Old 08-12-2007, 10:30 PM

I used to be a big fan of the DEI products when i was working at the first shop I was at. the other shop I was working at used only audiovox prestige and while i hated them at first...they all have worked flawlessly for me with no problems whatsoever. I can't say the same for DEI as i have had to replace a few componets over the years. as for security systems there are many options you can add to your system. One of my favorites is adding multiple mini pizeo sirens inside the car. These things are soo damm loud that no one would stand to try and stay in the car. hearing loss will occur in a matter of minutes. A paging alarm system is also a good idea as well. there are also other options like radar sensors and glass break sensors. the only problems with them is if you add too many of these options they tend to counter act eachother. There are also backup batteries you can have installed in case someone tries to cut the power. And last but no least the quality of the alarm system install will be your best weapon. If you or a shop is installing your alarm and the system is not disguised and is easy to get access to then it cannot do it;'s job. I'll spend 4 hours easily installing an alarm that a lot of guys can do in 45 minutes simply for the fact that I want it to be practically inaccessable for anyone other then the person who installed it and the owner of the car. if someone can break into the car go under the dash and get access to the brain and all the wires that they can trace t taps to then it's pretty much useless. Which is why soldering and hiding all the wiring in factory looms is the best way to do an alarm IMHO . HTH
Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

i keep my car in my garage, but for the random times i go out i got the best Viper you can get, the one with the 2 way remote (pages you) got the keyless entry, shock sensor, glass break detector, ignition kill etc etc it works great just dont lose the remote it cost well over $100!!!! thank goodness i "found" one on a truck someone traded in LMAO
Old 09-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Code Alarm makes a nice product. You can also add modules to control things like the power windows from the remote.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:51 PM

Car: 1997 Grand Prix GTP (for now)
Engine: 3.8 sc

I use code alarm and excaliber (excaliber tells you how many transmitters there are which is a nice feature) dei seems to have gotten a bit too big.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:28 PM

Car: 2007 Cobalt LT
Engine: M62'd 2.2L L61
Transmission: 4T45E 4-speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: Stock

I just got a Code Alarm put in my car. Got the remote car start for free as well!
Old 09-13-2007, 05:00 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 HT,2006 2500HD
Engine: 5.7L, 6.6Llbz dmax
Transmission: 700R4, 6 speed allison
Axle/Gears: worn out 3.73 posi

i have an alpine system which seems to work well alltough i live in canada and dont need it lol
Old 09-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1982 Firebird
Engine: sbc 307
Transmission: 200

I have a CompuStar with about every bell and whistle you can have including proximity sensor. I love it, but it was not cheap. I think I paid around $700 2 years ago. Still- they make great stuff.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead. Any new technology out there? I'm mostly interested in 2-way radio/pagers/gps that let you know if the alarm is set off.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

I have a Viper 5900 Alarm system

i have heard of KARR Security systems

http://www.karrsecurity.com/karr.html

raf how about that smoke machine
Old 02-21-2009, 03:36 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 V8
Transmission: Auto

my girlfriend owns DEI viper 5900 and i the 7501 viper is ok at best compustar which was in my old car was a way more solid system..... 2 way remots are very nice for the warning feature

but spend the little extra and get the long range
Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.0 305 Carb'd
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

i live out in the counrty (15 miles radius to anything except corn) i havnt locked my house my car anything for 18 years. never had a problem lol. something tells me since i said this that ill get robbed tomorrow. karma!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:38 PM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1 MFI
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto 700R4

I go with Viper, heard only good things about them and the system is got some major pros to it and it has some sweet Accessories. I got the Viper 5701 Responder LE 2-Way Security and Remote Start System. Have not put it in yet but going to do it soon.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

this is my secondary sercurty system my pal Wildey
Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 AM

The best insurance you can afford is better then any alarm.I drive a repo ****** truck i can take a car in under 20 sec and not even get out of the truck.I have towed cars off at night with a alarm screaming no one even looks the other way.A lojack can be nice but a cop has to drive around looking for it.If your going to park it somewhere over night a fake coil wire you can make cheap and the car won't start.I daily drive a 68 mustang have for the last 3 years and i don't have an alarm on it.I have two kill switchs and a push botton start all hiden in the car.I did catch one guy trying to slimjim my door he got to kiss my 1911.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 AM

Car: 1971 Camaro

I like crimestopper and anything from Omega Research (Crime Guard, Excalbur) .

In my opinion Omega research has some pretty good features at a fair price compared to the bigger names like DEI.

But keep in mind an alarm is as only as good as the installer, I would rather have a good installed K-9 alarm that a crappy installed Viper.

Some things you can do to insure that your alarm will be effective.

1. Mount siren out of sight and drill a hole through the base and go straight through the firewall, then silicone over the wire between the base...this leaves no wires to be cut.

2. Never mount the alarm control module under the dash area, near the steering column. This is the "traditional" place that a thief will look. Put it somewhere out of the ordinary...even if it means running longer wire.

3. Always try to make the alarm wiring mimic factory looming, make sure all the wire is wrapped tightlly with black tape or harness loom, thieves look for a rats nest of wire when trying to locate the alarm module.

4. Use theft proof screws when securing interior panels, speakers, and head unit. Thieves most likely won't carry tamper proof tools.

5. Use two shock sensors mounted on each end of the vehicle versus, one near the steering column. You can turn the sensitivity down and decrease false alarms this way.

6. Use a battery back-up, they are cheap insurance and great if a thief cuts your batter power....again mount this somewhere other than the dash area.

7. Always solder and heat shrink your connections, do not use butt connectors or wire taps....these can fall off and cause problems with your alarm. Hint: Most install places like to use these.

8. If you live in an apartment or a place where your car isn't near the house, invest in a pager for your alarm. I just bought one to add to my alarm off eBay for less than $15 shipped.

9. Invest in a good mass sensor as well, these are great because if a thief get's near your car it will give a warning that the car is armed.

10. Install a pain generator siren inside the car, this is a mini-siren that will screech when the alarm is going off. Just another form of cheap insurance.

And remember, no alarm is going to keep a thief away from your car if they want what's inside bad enough.

Don't be one of those idiots with a huge speaker box and the subwoofers / amps are sticking right in the rear window in plain view. Your asking for it
Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, awesome info!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Car: 91' camaro rs and an 87' trans am
Engine: stang eater..slower ones. lolololol
Transmission: 700r4-camaro t5-trans am
Axle/Gears: stock :(

anybody here of the trunk monkey. hahahahahha. had to say it.

these videos are funny.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:06 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 2.8L, hopefully upgrading..
Transmission: BorgWarner T5, Made here in Muncie
Axle/Gears: stock

I recently picked up a old school Dual proximity Alpine alarm BNIB for about $30.. helluva find.. The first proximity is about 2-5 feet of the car and if this perimiter is broken, the alarm will chirp. And then if the 2nd perimiter is broken (sensor is set to the car itself) than the alarm will sound. There is a pager availabe as an expansion that will tell me what part of the car the alarm set was off.

Great investment considering i have currently about $1000 in audio equipment and by summer it will be upwards of $2200
Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1 MFI
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto 700R4

Originally Posted by 88TransAmFreak
I like crimestopper and anything from Omega Research (Crime Guard, Excalbur) .

In my opinion Omega research has some pretty good features at a fair price compared to the bigger names like DEI.

But keep in mind an alarm is as only as good as the installer, I would rather have a good installed K-9 alarm that a crappy installed Viper.
Are you saying I'm a crappy installer . J/p.
Some things you can do to insure that your alarm will be effective.

1. Mount siren out of sight and drill a hole through the base and go straight through the firewall, then silicone over the wire between the base...this leaves no wires to be cut.

2. Never mount the alarm control module under the dash area, near the steering column. This is the "traditional" place that a thief will look. Put it somewhere out of the ordinary...even if it means running longer wire.

3. Always try to make the alarm wiring mimic factory looming, make sure all the wire is wrapped tightlly with black tape or harness loom, thieves look for a rats nest of wire when trying to locate the alarm module.

4. Use theft proof screws when securing interior panels, speakers, and head unit. Thieves most likely won't carry tamper proof tools.

5. Use two shock sensors mounted on each end of the vehicle versus, one near the steering column. You can turn the sensitivity down and decrease false alarms this way.

6. Use a battery back-up, they are cheap insurance and great if a thief cuts your batter power....again mount this somewhere other than the dash area.

7. Always solder and heat shrink your connections, do not use butt connectors or wire taps....these can fall off and cause problems with your alarm. Hint: Most install places like to use these.

8. If you live in an apartment or a place where your car isn't near the house, invest in a pager for your alarm. I just bought one to add to my alarm off eBay for less than $15 shipped.

9. Invest in a good mass sensor as well, these are great because if a thief get's near your car it will give a warning that the car is armed.

10. Install a pain generator siren inside the car, this is a mini-siren that will screech when the alarm is going off. Just another form of cheap insurance.

And remember, no alarm is going to keep a thief away from your car if they want what's inside bad enough.

Don't be one of those idiots with a huge speaker box and the subwoofers / amps are sticking right in the rear window in plain view. Your asking for it
with your list a lot those are some good things to keep in mine when your installing or if your having a person install for you. I guess I should have said that I have the Backup Battery System and the Audio Glass Break Sensor. I have been wondering if the Viper Electro-Luminescent Indicator is worth getting and I'm on the fence about the nvisibeam® Field Disturbance Sensor.
Also I'm not a thief expert but I got to say that if I had subs or when I do, I would have my windows tinted. I know it's not the biggest saver but from my friends that have had people bust there windows and take stuff, There windows were not tinted and had not security system.

Last edited by RS Reaper; 03-06-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Z28......99 TA
Engine: Lq9 6.0... Ls1
Transmission: 4L60E X's 2
Axle/Gears: 3.73 on both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcoDXsZTN8 i have this one
Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 2010 2LT RS

I had a VIPER in my old 92 RS while in college. Loved it. I will be getting another soon for my IROC.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 AM

And never blast your system close to home your neighbors will always rob you first.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I WANT this alarm! I think it would really get around the issue of people being desensitized and ignoring a typical alarm going off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxRMTtR5I2E

Seriously!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:38 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Z28......99 TA
Engine: Lq9 6.0... Ls1
Transmission: 4L60E X's 2
Axle/Gears: 3.73 on both

dude that was sweet!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

dude that was radical

they think the car thief is having sex in the car
Old 03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

I like crimestopper
I'm not sure how long the other alarms have for warranty, but I had the crimestopper CS-2000 installed in my car and after about a year I started to notice it having problems(it was working perfect before). First when I arm or disarm the alarm is doesn't chirp(no it's not on silent). Second, sometimes when the alarm was tripped, it wouldn't even page me. Third, the siren that came with it started to go bad, not near as loud as it once was. And lastly, the optional starter kill...what a pain in the @ss. At random times, it would engage the starter kill. Whether I just drove somewhere, turned the car off, and then back on without arming or disarming the system, it would kill the power to my starter for no reason. Well, I removed that relay and now I don't have that problem.
I don't think i'll be buying Crimestopper again if it's only going to last 1 year and start to have problems. What model(s) have you used?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

get Viper you will be much happier
Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Car: 87 trans am
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: auto unfortunately

This may be a poor mans security system but it seems to be pretty effective. When my dad ordered his camaro back in 86' he had one of the wires extended from the distributor into the interior and back then he hid the switch inside so when he left the car somewhere he just flipped the switch. Im not sure what the wire was but hes got the distributor with the coil on top so maybe it was to one of the coil wires.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 PM

I had an audiovox Prestige in my previous car with the 1 mile range 2 way transmitter key chain, it was amazing.... BUT The absolute best product that i ever put into the car was 3 screamer sirens called piezo-Pain sirens from DEI. You could not be in the car when the alarm was going off.
Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Install-Essent.../dp/B0009SUEX6

Warning these things will **** off your neighbors at 3am make sure you alarm settings aren't over sensitive.