Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Sony Xplod??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony Xplod??????

Would you recomend sony explods?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:47 PM

Car: 1990 RS
Engine: 305 tbi
Re: Sony Xplod??????

I have a buddy that is getting me Kenwod excelleron not sure of the spelling but He said Kenwood has come back into the game strong and hard. At first I didnt want Kenwood but he said it's top oof the line. I will ask him about Sony..he is the go to guy for audio out here.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Car: 91 firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 speed

if its the head unti you talking about i wouldnt say get them i have one in my car right now and half the buttons dont work right anymore! i dont know much bout them but its a flip screen one i guess you could say and i have to either move the face up or down to get it to turn the voulume up or change songs. but as for speakers no idea
Old 03-28-2007, 07:59 PM

Car: 72 Fbird. Want another 3rd gen :(
Engine: Poncho 350
Transmission: Turbo 350

noooooooooooooooooooooo sony + car audio = trouble.. sony does not make good car audio equipment at all.. there will be guys that tell you its decent blah blah.. dont listen.. dont buy it
Old 03-29-2007, 10:23 AM

Car: 91 RS Camro Ttop
Engine: 5.0 LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have a 12" sub with less than 20 hrs. play time that just died. I am having to replace my sub and I don't even think about getting another one. Put out some extra cash and pay for the quality it will be worth it.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM

Car: 87' GTA
Engine: 350 L98 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-Bolt

Originally Posted by TheBandit
noooooooooooooooooooooo sony + car audio = trouble.. sony does not make good car audio equipment at all.. there will be guys that tell you its decent blah blah.. dont listen.. dont buy it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, there will be guys who say that it's decent and sounds good..

And im one of them.

My sound setup includes:

Kenwood EZ500 Head Unit
Sony Xplod 6x9's In The Sail Panels
Sony Xplod 4x6's In My Dash
Two Alpine Type R Subwoofers 250 RMS Each
Alpine 450 W Amplifier

With a sound system that has all it's bases covered, I can and will say that my Sony speakers have more then impressed me with sound quality and sharpness.

When my stock sound system/speakers were in the car, I couldn't turn up the volume up very high before they ran out of volume or started to distort.

With my new speakers, and Head unit, my speakers now have the ability to make my ears hurt with the amount of volume it puts out...while STILL being clear and crisp as a bell.

I have no experience with Sony's head units, nor do I plan to, but I have heard nothing but bad things about them, oh well.

Bottom Line, it's your car, and it's your money. You are the one who will be listening to the speakers you buy, so it's your choice.

I highly recommend these speakers to anyone out there looking for a crisp and clear sound, while not breaking the bank at the same time.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Besides the obvious "let's call our electronics Xplode"...

I use to like Sony Car Audio about 15 years ago, but the quality has gone down hill with my experience...

Chevy created the "nova", in spanish, it means "doesn't go".

Raf
Old 03-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: tko 500
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.31 posi pbr brakes

Sony Xplods have a bad rep but i like the two 10 inch subs i have in my other car. They are the newer hexagonal design and hit hard and clear. Havent had a problem with them yet.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Most of sony's equipment is a step above the flea market garbage that usually gets used along with it, but for what it costs, you can ALWAYS do better if you just take a few minutes to see what else is available in that price range. This is most evident with speakers. For what sony charges for their stuff, you can do a lot better.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro vert
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt... not blow up yet

i agree with Fbody891...
i also have a flip screen and half the buttons dont work, its always giving me troubles, its only about a year old. years ago sony was the top of the line and they jus went WAY down hill on car audio. I have two sony xplode 6.5s i got for free in my rear seat delete and to be quite frank, the quality is crap, the workmanship is crap and this is just my opinion but they just arent worth the money. In my honest opinion if you want good quality, go for kenwood, pioneer or alpine. They are not ur cheapest options but theres a price for quality.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:00 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305 5.0

Originally Posted by nebstewart07
Would you recomend sony explods?
If you're talking about the head unit I'd say no along with the other guys on here, I had the flip down one in my truck and after a few months the radio part quit working so I was left with just an expensive cd player, then someone broke in my truck and stole it...he, jokes on them I guess...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 TPI 5.7L
Transmission: Stock ... For now
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 9-Bolt

I would definately reccomend Sony Xplod ... as long as they are not the crap you get from Wal-Mart ... what alot of people do not realise is that the Sony Xplod series is alot better than most people think ... because they sell their **** series to wal-mart everyone thinks they are crap ... I have a full Sony Xplod Signature Series in my Camaro and they sound more bad *** than any other brand for a similar price... As long as you get the good sonys from a Sony Dealer then you should be fine
Old 03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 357
Transmission: TH-350C
Axle/Gears: 3.43

Depending on the model of the unit they are not too bad, definately not the top of the line or anything but they will serve the purpose.

Personally i have owned sony xplod head units, speakers, subs and amps and have not had any troubles with them. But then again i have seen a boatload of the exact same exquipment crap out on other guys....

It all comes down to what you can afford, if you can handle a little bit more $$ you should look into something else, but if its all you can afford its better than nothing!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 iroc
Engine: 454 .030 over
Transmission: th-350
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt

they serve their purpose, thats about it, you can do alot better for the price, look into elemental designs stuff, my firned has his whole car set up with that and it sounds so badass you can even discribe it.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Trans/am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 drum WS6

I've actually tested Sony Xplod 12inch and 10inch subs against similar pioneer ones. Actually you can do it yourself. Go to Walmart (LOL) and there you have the xplod and pioneer subs right next to each other. Just try each, and it will be evident which one is better, and sounds much better. Same price too.

I am sure most of you guessed right on which one sounds better. Pioneer.

Also, tested this in my previous F-bod that had the speakers in the back. I just hooked xplods up for ***** and giggles, and my 25 dollar 12inch Sub sounded better. I got that sub from Cheecker. That tells you a lot about Xplod subs.

THis was a "controlled" experiment, due to the amp, wiring, deck and box being exactly the same for both speakers.

This is all to the naked ear, but that what you use when you are driving and listening. So, take it or leave it.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

Originally Posted by quisterio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, there will be guys who say that it's decent and sounds good..

And im one of them.

My sound setup includes:

Kenwood EZ500 Head Unit
Sony Xplod 6x9's In The Sail Panels
Sony Xplod 4x6's In My Dash
Two Alpine Type R Subwoofers 250 RMS Each
Alpine 450 W Amplifier

With a sound system that has all it's bases covered, I can and will say that my Sony speakers have more then impressed me with sound quality and sharpness.

When my stock sound system/speakers were in the car, I couldn't turn up the volume up very high before they ran out of volume or started to distort.

With my new speakers, and Head unit, my speakers now have the ability to make my ears hurt with the amount of volume it puts out...while STILL being clear and crisp as a bell.

I have no experience with Sony's head units, nor do I plan to, but I have heard nothing but bad things about them, oh well.

Bottom Line, it's your car, and it's your money. You are the one who will be listening to the speakers you buy, so it's your choice.

I highly recommend these speakers to anyone out there looking for a crisp and clear sound, while not breaking the bank at the same time.
+1.
I have Sony Xplod head unit, under dashpad, and sail panels. Yes, from Wal-Mart. And about a year now and I haven't had problems with anything. All the buttons still work and my ears still hurt around 23+ volume. I normally don't go around blasting my schit, though. Just a nice, clean, crunch of heavy metal. I guess if you're into urban music and rap, or stuff with heavy beats and tones, it might not be good, but again, I've never had a problem and plan on getting Sony amps and Subs...
Old 03-30-2007, 07:28 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Originally Posted by Kamorov
I would definately reccomend Sony Xplod ... as long as they are not the crap you get from Wal-Mart ... what alot of people do not realise is that the Sony Xplod series is alot better than most people think ... because they sell their **** series to wal-mart everyone thinks they are crap ... I have a full Sony Xplod Signature Series in my Camaro and they sound more bad *** than any other brand for a similar price... As long as you get the good sonys from a Sony Dealer then you should be fine
I can't speak for everybody, but I think it's crap because I used to work at a stereo shop that sold it, and ever since they came out with the Xplod line, the quality took a nose dive. The stuff sounds terrible, is very cheaply made, and has poor reliability, yet still costs just as much as stuff from Kenwood and Pioneer that's much better. The only reason that crap even sells is because it's red.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:48 PM

Car: 72 Fbird. Want another 3rd gen :(
Engine: Poncho 350
Transmission: Turbo 350

but how many people here have heard a decent system? the sony build quality is horrible.. and they dont sound good.. i dont care what anybody says.. yes you may be somebody who has had there headunit and you think it is great. good for you. but look at all the people that have problems with them.. they have such a high failure rate as opposed to a company that builds quality things
Old 03-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

We get new members on our forum all the time with questions like 'what's wrong with my Sony deck' or 'my Sony amp stopped working'

The build quality in Sony products has went so far downhill over the past decade or so, it's almost hard to believe at one time they used to be at the top.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Car: 87 Iroc
Axle/Gears: stock posi

if you buy anything thats sony xplod, i'll slap you.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350

The previous owner of my RS had left me the gift of a Sony Xplod deck. Anytime it was even remotely cold, half the buttons would not respond or do a completely different function. I really miss the quality of the old Mobile ES line.

In short, like everyone else here pretty much has agreed on, stay away from the Xplod stuff. Better stuff for the same money out there
Old 04-01-2007, 04:44 PM

Car: 1986 pontiac firebird
Engine: 2.8l v-6
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: stock

it has been my expeirience as the hand me down brother of a car audio competitor that if you buy sony from along time ago its good stuff i have a 752x amp and i love it has never given me a problem had it for 4 years but i also have a 760 watt explode amp that somehow managed to get a ground short somewhere as for the head units i dont ever have the same one long enough to know but the one i have now is not the best but its ok for what it dose
Old 04-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6

I'm surprised at how many negative replies there are. I've never really talked to anyone about them, but I always thought they had a better rep.

I have an Xplod head unit I got for Christmas in 2005. It's still goin strong. I also have Xplod 6x9s in the sail panels and I think they sound great. I have 2 10" Pioneers in the back for the bass, so I don't really know about the bass from the 6x9s, but the voice has always been clean and the loudest I ever go is about 22 on the volume. I like mine.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:11 PM

I have a old 1998 sony sony xr-c900 mobile es head unit that still works.MY Kenwood excelon kdc-979 head unit after less than a year needed a new ribbon circuit.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 PM

im not sure about sony HU's or 6x9's, but i do not trust their amps(first hand experience) or their subs. they suck.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any cd player that has motorized face is probably bad news. The ribbon cable that connects to the face usually goes bad. Its like when you bend a paper clip too many times. I repaired a few cd players in my electronics classes back in college where all I had to do was replace the ribbon on the motorized faced cd players. I don't care what brand you buy but stay away from the motorized faced flip down/up ones.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:38 PM

OKay, my stereo guy said "Sony es no good". How much do you want to spend? My system should be 3G's but I got it for almost 2G navi included.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM

you can get a seriously dope system for less than 3 g's, lol. but yeah, you can spend that if you want.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM

I have to have my navi (I am always getting lost) and all of it has got to be top of the line. The head unit is just Sick! Its all touch screen and super clear (less than 2 G). Yup you could spend lots less and sound great thats for sure but my cars and bikes are always show quality and most of the time I am sponsored anyway. : )
Old 04-03-2007, 05:41 PM

thats always a good thing.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Car: 02 Mustang
Engine: 3.8 about to be punched out to 4.3
Transmission: 4R70W
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Detroit true trac

i had sony 4x6 and 6x9s in my car, after about a month i ripped em out and threw them down the hill, they were blown, and sounded like crap, i have polks in my car right now
Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI

Originally Posted by Kamorov
Maybe back in the ES days, now Sonys are junk. They may have a model or two thats not all bad, but it's still junk.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The local guy here who sells high end audio and car alarms, actually recommends the sony head units because they have a good low pass or high pass filter. Its supposed to help for the front speakers, even systems with cross-overs and amps for the front. That was 6 months ago though when he recommended them to me.

I bought a sony h.u. 2 years ago and have had no problems with it. Now, i've just started looking for a head unit for my other car. My first stop so far was walmart, didn't see anything I liked there, all the units were blue or green display. I need a red display like my sony. Its easier for the human eye to focus red light than any other color.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 PM

Car: 91 RS Camro Ttop
Engine: 5.0 LO3
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have alpine 4x6 plates up front and clarion 4 way 6x9's. I used the 10" Pioneer truck riders with a crappy optimum amp for years and never had a complaint. Sony replaced for a quick fix and has been down hill ever since. Like some guys said they will serve the purpose but if you have an ear for music you will notice a difference.

My cousin uses 2 Kicker comp VR's with an audiobahn amp and it will jar fillings in your teeth out. High volume it never distorts. He wanted better highs and installed xplod 6's in the door, after 1 trip down the road he reinstalled the factory's and returned the xplod's.

It all boils down to what you want vs. cash on hand. It's your call. Free advice is worth the price paid though.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Car: 1986 T/A
Engine: 350 bored .040, s/r torquer heads
Transmission: 700r4, tci shift kit
Axle/Gears: stock borg warner

I personally have never heard any xplode system that was good. I used to have an xplode HU, and when it got stolen, i decided to go with an alpine. At the time i was running an alpine four channel for my infinity 4x6's and 6x9s and two infinity basslinks. When i swapped in the alpine i was truly amazed at the sound difference, it was like a brand new system. It was far more clear.

The problem with this question is that everyone has a different opinion of what sounds good. I would suggest going to a local car audio shop (not Wal-Mart or Circuit City) and comparing head units and speakers. Any respectable shop should have any number of different brands. That way, you can get what YOU like, and you don't have to worry about what everyone else says....
Old 04-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '90 RS
Engine: Vortec 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23 non posi

Sony's audio equipment is complete garbage. I had a sony xplod HU installed in the car i bought. It overheated and supposedly it was less than a year old. Most of my friends ahve ahd sonys and also had bad experiences with them. Im menver gonna buy a sony product because everythign from sony seems to break on me(PS1 PS2 CD player...) yea lol
Old 04-05-2007, 10:32 PM

when i first got into car audio, i bought a sony amp, brand new, i opened the package and a piece was busted on it, i returned it the same day got another one, and the same piece was broken, ever since then, i was told sony sucks, i see why.