Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

fiberglass box material...just one question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94Chevy s10, camaro is soon to come
Engine: 4.3L TBI Vortec
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: I believe it's a 3.55 possi
fiberglass box material...just one question...

what do you actually make the box out of, I've read countless posts on here telling about laying down the fiberglass but I can't seem to pickup on what the actual box is made of before that. just answer that one question and I'll be on my way, please reside from flaming me about the search feature.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Car: 1989 camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r
we usaly dont flame here , donte qute me on this but its made with a mixture of fiberglass jelly's crap ,besides that i got no clue i am a wood guy
Old 02-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44
Fiberglass enclosures are typically just that, fiberglass. To build anything out of fiberglass, the basic concept is that you lay the first layer of dry fiberglass cloth onto a non-stick surface or into a mold and then brush or pour on a thin layer of fiberglass resin which is mixed by you with a hardener (just like you would epoxy or bondo). As that layer hardens the resin soaks into the pores of the cloth to make a hard plastic like material. Once the first layer has hardened, you don't need the mold any more and you can add as many layers onto that as you need.

If you want some good advice on how to build a speaker box specifically, just do a search in the Car Audio tech section for thread titles with the word "fiberglass" and you should get plenty of good information on different techniques.