Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

stupid Eclipse Ipod adapter!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RS
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 700r4 auto
Axle/Gears: huh?? guessing stock.
stupid Eclipse Ipod adapter!!

well I FINALLY got an Ipodso I dont have to take a bunch of CD's in my car anymore. Origionally I boutght a little FM transmitter for it that plugged into the Headphone jack, but it diddnt sound very good. So I went and dropped the money for the Eclipse Ipod Adapter for my Eclipse HU. Sound quality is GREAT, but the used interface SUCKS!!

I have it set sot that in order to use it I turn on the Sirrius part of the HU. (its connected to the Sirrius jack on the back of the HU. I only put maby 3 Gigs woth of music on it about 20 or so artists.... and let me say it is HORRIBE trying to search for a certain artist. god forbid Im looking for a certain SONG! with it on Sirrius CH 1 I see maybe 1/3rd of the artists on the Ipod when searching, if I put it on Sirrius CH2 I see a few more, CH3 sees some more, but looses a lot of the ones from CH1, and CH4 is the rest, minus CH1's... I hae to hit the text display button a few times to find setting that I can skip to next artist or next song. I accidentally got it stuck on Random the other day. was kinda cool, it bounced from artist to artist just playing random music. it was cool, but I cant figure out how the hell I did it.

I bought a plug off Ebay that connects to the same port on the HU, but is just two RCAs that I can plug a simple adapter into the Headphone jack of the Ipod that will turn it into RCAs. I might try that. that way I can still use the actuall Ipod's controlls, which are a LOT easier. I just dont want to loose the sound quality.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:52 AM
On Probation

Car: '90 Camaro RS
My ipod adaptor plugs into the cd changer slot of my radio. .....kenwood. I've always assumed it was like that for all head units.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
Kenwoods have the same issue, hard to find songs, only plays from teh first 10 playlists on your ipod.
I probably should have stuck with my Alpine and got thier ipod adapter since it should operate like an MP3 cd where you can hit the search button and use the volume **** to scroll through the songs and then you press the volume **** to select that song.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:35 AM
On Probation

Alot of people think that. Charge it to kenwood misinforming people. On kenwood's iPod adaptor, there are 2 switches that can be in a up or down position. The switch positions that should be used are based upon which head unit you connect it to.

When I first got mines, it only played the first 10 also. I knew I didn't spend $2,000 on a head unit for only 10 playlists. So I looked up kenwoods information site, and saw that I had to reposition my switches up/down and reset the head unit. Then I went into the head unit and set it to display artist names. Now, I have a list of 350 artists to pick from on my head unit. Learn your radio.

Sometimes.... a little reading along with some assertion can get you what you want.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
I have the switches set according to the model of my deck and I read the manuals for both the deck and the ipod adaptor.
I'll play with them again and see what happens.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:58 AM
On Probation

Don't forget to change the head unit from playlists to artist name.

A friend of mines has the newest Alpine double din. I haven't seen it yet, but I hear it's easier to navigate thru the menus than the kenwood DDX models. And it's cheaper. If it is easier to work, that's what I'm gonna get for my camaro.