Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Custom door panels

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom door panels

Hello folks, I have bought my son Matt a 91 Trans Am. Got a great deal but no stereo in the thing. So this has become a father son project car. We are doing some things that in the stereo world I don't see much anymore. We are running a single stereo amp powering everything. Currently what I have gotten accomplished is: The rear pillars are foamed in and the 6 1/2 inch speakers are installed I have dynomatted all that I am going to. New carpet is ordered. I have got the front dash ready for the 4" components to go in them. The Hifonics ISIS amp is ready to go in as soon as my sub box/amp rack is finished. What I am needing is... Does anybody make or have for sale door panels for a couple of 6 1/2 midbass drivers?

We have not purchased them yet. I am waiting on finding something or in the end fabricating something. Then I will buy them. So now I am building the crossover. I had forgotten what a pain in the butt that can be. Wish I could use the crossovers from the EQX but all we get to use from it is the equalizer function and the subsonic filter. We are still looking at decks sothat is what he is getting for Christmas. Have I forgotten anything? Advice/constructive critisism is always welcome.

Thanks,
Cub
Old 12-07-2006, 09:05 AM

WHAT!!! No responses??? No your crazy man. Use 2 amps. No you can't run 14 speakers of 1 amp? No I got just the set of panels you are looking for for 1200 bucks... Yikes.. I mean 20 bucks! No advice?? Anyway got the deck in from UPS yesterday. Hopefully I will get to install it before Christmas if the wife lets me give it to Matt early.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:40 PM

Car: 88 Iroc vert
Engine: 305 tpi. cts-v brakes
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
im running boston pro's 6.53 and i had to build out from the door due to the magnet size in the 6.5" driver
Old 12-20-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.71
There is a way to put a bigger driver in the doors without building them out too much. I have 8" woofers in the doors and I only build my door panels out about 2 inches. The power window motor can be removed and welded in a different position, If i remember correctly, it gets moved 90 degrees towards the back. I didn't do the work myself, rather an audio installer down at Virginia Tech figured out it could be done and did it for me. (you got to know how to weld...and you have to uncoil the window spring, it has enough tension to take your finger off...BE VERY CAREFUL, I watched the installer do it from a distance.)