Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Front speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '88 IROC-Z medium orange metallic
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Front speakers?

Time to ditch the factory 4x6's, what's the way to go for front speakers? Not much of an audio guy here but they will be hooked to an appropriate amplifier. Looking for a clean sound with decent highs and something that's not going to blow out on me.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Firebird Trans Am
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi
I got the Infinity 4"x6" 2-way plate speakers. They are rated 45W RMS, IIRC. They sound great, just dont feed them any bass frequencies.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
about fifteen people will jump in here and tell you to totally ditch the dash speakers, and go with kickpanel enclosures...

they are right...

but I did have the Infinity Kappa 4x6 plates, and I was happy... until I knew what I was missing.... I say, save your money and get the kicks...

hell, the FACTORY monsoon soundsystem in my WS6 (kickpanel components) stompifies the kappa plates, on aftermarket amps, no less...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:59 PM

where can you get the kick panels?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

ok, so what components to put in the kick panels? Anyone make an enclosure that doesn't take up a lot of space? Not a lot of room down there withthe clutch pedal.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member

Last I heard, Jim85Iroc was making some... maybe Rez plus you can always find a set of Q-Logics

you're probably looking at 5 1/4" woofers
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

I've got long legs and a 5 speed, how much room is left in the foot well with kick panel speakers?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:09 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 bored .30 over
Axle/Gears: Posi 342
You don't need kick panel speakers. I have my system set up as a 3-way. My front speakers are my highs, my pillar speakers are my mids and the subs are my lows. My front speakers are made by...dang, I forget, they arent like a known brand but they push 400 watts max. Yes they are 4x6 speakers too, I have a kenwood 800 watt 2-channel amp hooked up to them and they are amazingly loud, if i were to equalize them high ur drums would be gone. You would be suprized on what you can get. Look around before you go and try to make sumthing else work.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sLoW'n'StEaDy
where can you get the kick panels?
Q-Forms make them for our cars, they are alright. I had the 1st gen ones and they didn't quite look right in spots, but I heard the 2gen's are better

You can get some custom ones made at a stereo shop, or if you want to give fiberglass a try, you can try building them youself.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

I was kinda hoping some other senior members would chime in... oh well..

first off, yeah you will lose legroom... you have to make a choice, better sound, or comfort? our cars aren't comfortable anyways, so I say, go for the sound...

and about that "three-way" setup, XxGeinNothingxX... really, you can run into problems with that... if you truly filtered it so the fronts are ONLY highs, and the pillars are ONLY mids, and the rears are the subs...

you want as much of your overall sound to come from the same general area. For example, you really don't want your tweeter more than a few inches from your component woofer, it causes problems... It ruins the 'fullness' of the sound, and can cause imaging qualms too...
Old 12-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 451 Likes on 290 Posts
Car: 1984 TA (1 stock / 1 custom)
Engine: LG4 / turbo LQ4
Transmission: 700R4 / 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Stock / 4:11 Moser 9"
crutchfield.com sells the q-forms for our cars. i think they're like $150 or something around there for the set and they come in different colors.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
I was kinda hoping some other senior members would chime in... oh well..

first off, yeah you will lose legroom... you have to make a choice, better sound, or comfort? our cars aren't comfortable anyways, so I say, go for the sound...

and about that "three-way" setup, XxGeinNothingxX... really, you can run into problems with that... if you truly filtered it so the fronts are ONLY highs, and the pillars are ONLY mids, and the rears are the subs...

you want as much of your overall sound to come from the same general area. For example, you really don't want your tweeter more than a few inches from your component woofer, it causes problems... It ruins the 'fullness' of the sound, and can cause imaging qualms too...

Well actually, the headunit is made to do this. Not every head unit is capable of what this does. You also have crossovers within the unit to give each speaker the range tieing into the next and then ontop of that it gives you a measurement option, you dial in how far away you are from each channel to where ever the center listeing area is, each speaker then knows exactly when to hit so that everything is played at the right time. I have done a lot to make it sound like it does, and to me, it sounds perfect.

I have a unit with I-personalize so you can also go online to Alpine's site and enter all of this infermation and then download it onto a disc and just pop it into ur unit in which downloads and ur set.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:25 AM

I agree with XxGeinNothingxX. Back in the late 80's early 90's Richard Clark had a Grand national that had 6 speakers. Two 15" subwoofers, two 12" midbass drivers and two horns. The horns were under the dash. The 12 inchers were in the rear side panels and of course the subs used the trunk. Everything was time aligned. He won like 4 national championships. It had an ungodly amount of power especially for those days before class D, G and H amps were around or at the very least common. I think it was made by speakerworks out in California. If you have the processor or your head unit will do it, then you can have your midbass behind you.

On a side note, remember that using a 3/4 or 1" tweeter in the dash and the midwoofer in the rear side pillar will be extremely difficult to align timewise. When doing this you really need to use a compression horn from Image Dynamics or Crystal or USD. Not sure if crystal is still around. You can cross some of them over incredibly low as long as the crossover circuit is steep enough. We are talking at least 24 db/oct or steeper. Well good luck!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by cub and Matt
I agree with XxGeinNothingxX. Back in the late 80's early 90's Richard Clark had a Grand national that had 6 speakers. Two 15" subwoofers, two 12" midbass drivers and two horns. The horns were under the dash. The 12 inchers were in the rear side panels and of course the subs used the trunk. Everything was time aligned. He won like 4 national championships. It had an ungodly amount of power especially for those days before class D, G and H amps were around or at the very least common. I think it was made by speakerworks out in California. If you have the processor or your head unit will do it, then you can have your midbass behind you.

On a side note, remember that using a 3/4 or 1" tweeter in the dash and the midwoofer in the rear side pillar will be extremely difficult to align timewise. When doing this you really need to use a compression horn from Image Dynamics or Crystal or USD. Not sure if crystal is still around. You can cross some of them over incredibly low as long as the crossover circuit is steep enough. We are talking at least 24 db/oct or steeper. Well good luck!
Thanks, and also about the alignment of time, some units, like mine, you actually measure each speakers distance to the center listening area in feet and inches and actually give that data to the unit and it does the rest. I all depends on how much ur willing to spent on a headunit. Mine with tax when I bought it was around 500 bucks.