Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Issue with Speaker Distortion

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 5.7 TPI
Issue with Speaker Distortion

I just bought a new JVC head unit and new speakers to replace my front and rear stock speakers. I also bought the JVC aux input adapter that plugs in the CD changer port. Everything worked fine for the first week but this morning i get in my car, plug in my mp3 player, press play, and hear distortion coming out of all 4 speakers. Its sounds bad on the low tones of the song similar to how a speaker would sound if it was blown. I also tried putting in a CD and listening to the radio but the distortion was still there. Any ideas on what this could be?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Start by checking your speaker wires. Ohm out the speakers. Post back what you get.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:08 AM

i got home too late to check the wires, but i'll do it tomorrow morning. The funny thing is that when i use the fader to get the volume to the front, there is no distortion at all. When i move it to the back, there is alot of distortion. When the balance is to the left, there is no distortion. To the right, there is alot of distortion. When balance and fadar are centered at 0 there is distortion coming from all speakers.

Again:

Balanced on all speakers: distortion
Just Front speakers: no distortion
just Rear speakers: distortion
just left side (front+rear): no distortion
just right side (front+rear): distortion
Old 11-15-2006, 06:35 AM

Car: 87 Formula 350
well then, you have your answer... it is either your right speaker, rear right connection at the HU, rear right connection at the speaker, or the wire is pinched. the first thing i would do is check the rear right wire at the speaker since it is easy to get to. i would unhook the speaker and see if the distortion goes away. if it does not you will need to take out your HU and unhook the wire there. good luck with it, i just hope it is a bad connection so you don't have to run a new wire.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 AM

well i finally had time to check the wires, behind the unit and speakers and they are all fine but the speaker still distorts. I isolated it to just the rear right speaker (even though they all distort). I unplugged all the speakers and went one by one to see which one sounds bad and it was only the right rear. The odd thing was that I was suspecting that maybe its the speaker and not the wiring, so i hooked up the stock speaker i removed a few weeks ago. That speaker didnt work at all. no sound would come out. So i went and plugged back the new speaker and all of sudden it doesnt distort anymore. All the speakers sound fine now. I dont know what i did, or if i did anything at all but they work now.
----------
oh and also, i dont know if anyone else has this problem but where i live, in the mornings, there is heavy condensation all over the car. In the morning when i removed the rear speakers, i noticed that speakers were wet from what I can only guess is the condensation build up from the outside of the car. I'm sure its not a leak or anything like that because the water on the speaker were in droplets (condensation). Could this be a problem in damaging speakers?

Last edited by Rosadoc-Z; 11-17-2006 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 bored .30 over
Axle/Gears: Posi 342
I am not sure if that is a problem or not with the condensation deal, but, they do make some foam inserts that ur speaker sits in to protect it from that and to help keep the sound from traveling on the outside of the car or through the body for a better sound. They are pretty cheap.