Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

stereo wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stereo wiring help

Ok, here is what I have. I have a pioneer head unit, it has 3 rca outputs, it says rear, front and subwoofer. I have a amp that is a 2 channel 1600 watt, it has one set of input rca and 1 set of output rca. what is the best way to wire this? I have front 4 x6 speakers, rear 6 x 9 and a 8 inch bazooka subwoofer non amplified. I did run a set of rca cables from my head unit to the amp in, then put speaker wire to the rear speakers from the amp, my front speakers are wired from the head unit directly from the speaker wires, not thru the amp or with rca, I have not hooked the bazooka up yet. if anyone can send me a wire diagram of how they would wire this set up I would appreciate it. my amp has things like a switch that I think says crossover, high output connection, and two other controls that you adjsut for gain and power i think. my main question is since the amp has only one rca in, do i stay with the rca out rear of the head unit to the in rca on the amp and then just wire the rear 6 x 9 's and the sub woofer with speaker wire from the amp? as the bazooka just has speaker wire connectors, no rca. any help would be appreciated. Hope i didnt confuse anyone
Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: 400 chevy small block
Transmission: 5spd
First of all you can't really run an amp on both subs and speakers if you want it to sound good. You can bridge,but that will just make the subs louder than the 6x9's. If you really want a good quality system, connect the rca output rear to an amp for your 6x9, if u get another amp connect the rcaoutput front to your 4x6's amp, and if you had one just for the subs i would connect the rca output sub to the amp for the subwoofers. basically one amp is not going to cover 6 speakers sorry unlesss its a 6 channel amplifier. your better off going with a 4 channel amp for the speakers as if you only amp the 6x9 and not the 4x6 you wont hear anything infront of you only behind. then after using a 4 channel amp for the speakers use a 2 channel amp for the subs seprateley so you can control each amp and tweak to sound perfection.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:21 AM

Car: 1988 GTA Black notchback
Engine: 1991 L98 355 TWIN Superchagred
Transmission: 700r4 shift kit 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: www.cardomain.com/id/gtafanatic
good answer! and welcome to the fourm
Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 AM

You know what, thats a good idea, I already have the 2 channel amp, so I will use it for the sub woofer, then I will simply buy a 4 channel amp and use that for the front and rear speakers, sound good? Now,, Can i use the power wire I already ran to my first amp and use it to power my second amp? I know I have to get something so they are both fused? Now if I use a 4 channel amp should there be 2 sets of rca ins? one for the front head unit rcas and the rear rcas? then run speaker wire out of the amp to the speakers front and back, then use my sub out rca from head unit to the 2 channel amp. sound right?