Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

keeping ur radio from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 project SC
Engine: LSX (planning stages)
Transmission: (planning stages)
Axle/Gears: (planning stages)
keeping ur radio from being stolen

i need some help on the 8th some **** ****** broke into my RS and stole my pioneer flip DVD and alpine EQ all of my tools i had in the back seat and a Power capacitor NIB. about $1500 - $1800 worth of stuff .... i just wanted to kill someone #$%^#$. so when i install the next system i would like to figure a way that a dumb *** thief could not steal a deck so easily. I have a car alarm but i donno if while i was playing with my kids that i might of disabled it or something cuz the a**hole opened the door and took my stuff!!!! damnit i dont think the alarm is working right cuz it does not auto arm... any wayz Help i am so disgusted when i get in my car! HELP!!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 c.u.
Transmission: T-5
install the stuff the hard way like using a strong back strap and on the box and such, maybe screw the box to the car from the inside of the box, i know holes in the car doesnt seem very appealing but it might help u keep ur stuff. and use some screws that arent your average unlike the good ol' philips head screws...its a give away if u use screws that common... hope this helps..
Old 08-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 trans am clone
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700r4
for the headunit my only advice is to get one with a removable faceplate that way either theyll steal it and get nowhere or they wont take it at all. or you can just get a top brand/quality alarm installed at a local place maybe an audio shop.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73
People like that want to get in and out. So the more you do to secure things, the more time they will have to spend sitting in your car fiddling around. I made it so my pioneer headunit cant be slid out from the cage using the little pioneer tools. I also secured everything with one way screws. Like in bathroom stalls. I just recently did this. I know if I have to take it out, it wills uck for me. But I cant think of any time that Ide really need to. Yeah they can go in and break stuff...but a broken head unit is useless and most of them dont want to go to jail for a piece of junk that they just broke. Also the more force they have to use, the more noise and more attention they draw to themselves.

Justin
Old 08-14-2006, 12:19 PM

Car: 92 camaro
Engine: V6
just telling you from experance on when i was younger 1st if someone wants 2 get in your car they will but keep your doors locked and try to park in a driveway not the street esp. if the street is not a main street or well light 2nd dont keep things in plain sight such as if i look in your car and see a nice face or amp or woofers i would find a way to get in there
Old 08-14-2006, 03:24 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Your car is obviously a marked target. Most people don't learn after the first, um, 7 times, so the same clowns keep going to the same place for more free stuff.

1. Buy a good alarm. If you did this after the first time you got jacked, you'd be way ahead finantially.

2. Make your audio equipment disappear. If they think that you've given up, maybe they'll stop jacking your stuff. If you don't have the ability to flush-mount your head unit and make a dummy faceplate out of your stock radio, pay a shop that does. Hide the speakers & other items so that they're out of sight.

3. TURN IT DOWN! All the stealth in the world doesn't matter if the dirtbags hear you booming around town. They'll know you still have tunes.

I had my system jacked once during my first year of college, and it was one of the worst feelings of my life. I learned quickly how to retain my stuff, and I've never had a problem since. Buy a good alarm, turn it down, and hide it!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 305
Yeah Jim is right, if they see you boomin around they are obvoiusly going to know that you have some expensive stuff in your car. I hide all of mine the best that I can. I live up in the boonies and have never had a problem but that doesnt stop me from taking out my Alpine faceplate and puttin in a plastic strip that makes it look like there isnt even a radio there, and covering my subs every night with a cover I made. But unfortunately if someone really wants to steal your stuff, they are probably going to get it. But do the most you can do to make it " as hard as possible" for a thief to steal your stuff.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
i agree, hide your stuff the best you can, get a good alarm, and get tints. if they can't see the stuff, they can't steal it
Old 08-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Making it harder to steal with straps usually just results in a broken dash and slashed seats. Theives can be spiteful as well. Alarm, removeable face plate, keep it hidden/quiet, and lock it up.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking about tearing the front face off of one of my stock radios laying around and using it as a "cover."
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: stock
This may not be the best way, but one of my friends actually attached razor blades to the sides of his stereo so if someone tried to steal it AGAIN, they would pay a big price. Oh and blood for dna analysis . He also tried to set a "trap" by getting a POS stereo and just setting it in there with the rigged up slash and dice device, but noone ever took the bait. Ha it would have been funny to come out from the mall and see an ambulance by your car and be able to just laugh at the dumb theif.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Setting traps is illegal and will get you arrested if the thief stays around long enough
Old 08-17-2006, 10:00 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: stock
Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
Setting traps is illegal and will get you arrested if the thief stays around long enough
Are you kidding me??? Its YOUR vehicle! Maybe you wanted the stereo installed like that just for fun. Its not a trap :wink:. How can you get arrested for making modifications to your vehicle? The theif should be arrested for breaking into your car and tring to steal your property. *YOUR property*
Old 08-20-2006, 04:31 PM

i don't know if i'd call it a trap as much as i would call it "HA HA, look at the idiot that got what he deservers for trying to steal my stuff." then i'd sue him for bleeding on my carpet and ruining it. lol, thats the way i'd do it. however, i have heard of burglers suing people for getting beat down when they broke into someones house, AND ACTUALLY WINNING THE LAWSUIT! its weird stuff, but apperantlly lowlife thieves have rights also. man the law is twisted.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:43 PM

Car: 89 RS,89 iroc
Engine: 5.0,5.0tpi
Transmission: 700R4,700R4
Axle/Gears: LSD,LSD
um...i lock my doors.....and im gonna have a big problem cuz im gonna have my Kicker 15" L7 in the back and a flashy hifonics amp too!....S**T
Old 08-21-2006, 02:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Originally Posted by SpyderTA
i don't know if i'd call it a trap as much as i would call it "HA HA, look at the idiot that got what he deservers for trying to steal my stuff." then i'd sue him for bleeding on my carpet and ruining it. lol, thats the way i'd do it. however, i have heard of burglers suing people for getting beat down when they broke into someones house, AND ACTUALLY WINNING THE LAWSUIT! its weird stuff, but apperantlly lowlife thieves have rights also. man the law is twisted.
No, I'm not kidding and yes, if the theif is caught you'll probably get charged and he will have grounds to sue you for damages in civil court.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:28 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 1989 Pontiac trans-am
Engine: building a 400
dirt bags

I'd like to rig a shot gun behind my radio and amp. f the lawyers the thives should be the ones worried about getting sued. I agree keep it hidden and don't crank it up by you house. These dirt bags know what they are stealing before they break into your car.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 84' Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 H.O. L69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Disc Brakes
When it comes down to what i do, i dont spend big $$$ in my stereos, cheap namebrand stuff, and i dont blast it for eveyone to hear. I lock my doors and park the car in a well lit area and where there are witnesses around.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1982 Firebird
Engine: sbc 307
Transmission: 200
Make it so they can't tell what you have, here's mine:

haha, I don't have the best example; but I NEVER leave my car sit anywhere without me. My advice would be to keep your car in a well lit area. Locks and alarms don't usually mean that much, though they do help. The bottom line is if someone wants their stuff, nothing is going to stop them.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
the simplest solution.

get a gun.

and a 2-way car alarm... Viper 791XV comes to mind.

use in conjunction with one another.

Problem solved.

and yeah, you CAN and WILL be tried in a court of law if the thief gets hurt trying to rob you... easy case... as long as they can prove that your 'trap' was designed to deliberately hurt someone...

IF you live in a more conservative/rural area, then you probably have nothing to worry about... but in Austin... some guy was robbed at knife-point in his car, and the thief took off... the guy had a license to carry, shot him in the back and DIDNT kill him... worst mistake of his life....

it's funny how the laws limit your response to a criminal... 90% of the time, it seems like they have the advantage...
Old 09-04-2006, 11:13 AM

Car: 1988 trans am GTA
Engine: 350 tpi
i say just get good insurance that covers your audio system. keep pictures and recipts of what you have for proof. i had an xm stole out of my car a few months ago...... dont know why if it gets stolen the unit gets locked....... but insurance paid for a brand new one and got one off ebay for half the price. ( probably the one that got stolen from me )