Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Mounting monitor to headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: ***Bagged 2.8***
Transmission: 4 speed auto
Mounting monitor to headliner?

How would I go about mounting a monitor to the headliner of our cars?

Kyle
Old 01-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
They took the time to mount a monitor to a headliner that's held up by staples

If you want to mount anything you have to mount it to something sturdy/structural. In this case they probably screwed into the metal brace that runs down the center of the roof judging by the headliner fix. A better solution would be to make a bracket to screw into and tack weld the bracket onto that support I mentioned earlier.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:15 PM

Well the monitor is not mounted yet I was just holding it up there and I know I have to fix the headliner when I bought the car it was straight pinned to the foam backing but as it is -30 here I am not going to attemp to replace the headliner that is a summer job and as I have herd one hell of a job to. I was just wondering how to mount the monitor as I thought all that was behind the headliner was a roof skin and could not be bolted/welded to for obvious reasons. so there is a main "beam" that runs down the middle of the roof?

Kyle
Old 01-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by True_bird
Well the monitor is not mounted yet I was just holding it up there and I know I have to fix the headliner when I bought the car it was straight pinned to the foam backing but as it is -30 here I am not going to attemp to replace the headliner that is a summer job and as I have herd one hell of a job to. I was just wondering how to mount the monitor as I thought all that was behind the headliner was a roof skin and could not be bolted/welded to for obvious reasons. so there is a main "beam" that runs down the middle of the roof?

Kyle
Oh, my bad. I thought that you were using that picture as a demo of what someone else had done and asking how to do it in your car. I found it amusing that someone would take the time to mount a screen but not to fix the headliner. No hard feelings. I can defiantly relate on the cold, it's hindering more than one car related project for me

There is a beam that runs down the middle of the roof (exactly where you want to install the screen). I guess it’s there to give the roof some extra support in the middle. It's not bolted/welded to the roof, it's held to the roof with some kind of rubbery glue stuff. It runs between the top of the windshield and whatever the technical name of the thing runs between the two b pillars is. It’s pinch welded to both of these.

I wouldn’t suggest mounting directly to the bar for fear of screwing into the roof accidentally (you only have a little over a 1/4 of gap). That’s why I suggested fabing some kind of mount that you could attach to the support bar.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:05 AM

Yea no hard feelings with the missunderstanding lol yea the cold has me stuck on a bunch of things I need to get done (or would like to get done). Maybe if I can fab up a sort of plate kinda like a "U" like this|__| and spot weld it to the beam, now I just need to get to the store and buy some welding wire but transportation is difficult when your 15 going on 16 and your car is put away for the winter and have no form of transportation other then parents and they have no intrest in the car because they think I'm spending to much money on it and they dread the sight of my 396 and T-56 that soon will be re-built and transplanted haha. but if I weld to that beam at a nice low temperature do you think the paint will still burn and be ruined not that it really matters as it is being re-painted this summer but I don't want the metal to warp or nothing crazy like that!

Kyle
Old 01-03-2006, 11:10 PM

?????Bump?????

Kyle
Old 01-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

As I said earlier, the beam isn't really attached to the roof. There's some expanding foam stuff between it and the roof but that's about it. You could probably spot weld to it without much fear of damaging the paint on the roof assuming you know what you're doing. Mig would be the preferred method because it would generate the least heat.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:01 AM

Yea thats how I will be doing it then, now I just gotta go and get some mig wire for my welder and wait for it to warm up
Thanks alot

Kyle
Old 01-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Wouldn't hurt to through a wet towel over the spot your welding.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:26 PM

Yea thats a good idea or put ice cubes inside a towel and put it over the spot I'm welding, thanks alot guys!

Kyle
Old 01-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
JB Weld would probably be a safe bet for welding in the interior. Did you look into your local laws? In the States that setup is illegal if not wired properly.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:40 PM

AHHHH the cops can all bite me they dont care around here I drive around with the strobes on under my car all the time and they don't say nothin about it kinda nice and I figure I gotta do my headliner anyways so I midaswell weld it and do the job properly but good idea

Kyle
Old 01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
around here you'd get pulled over even if they knew you had strobes...

and I sure don't like the way it blocks your rear-view mirror...

I always figured the best place to mount would be on some sort of arm from the console... maybe even design it so it retracts off to the side of the console... on the passenger side, of course!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 5.7L L98
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Hey, fellow Pegger here too. Haven't seen your car around b4, how long have you had it. Sounds like a sweet setup. If i ever see yeah out cruising you can check out my system. Pretty sweet setup too.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:48 PM

Yea I dont like how it blocks the mirror and I'm looking at a few more places to mount it, I have had my car for about 6 months now and the only f-bodies I have seen around here have been rustbuckets waisting away and I would look forward to finding some decent looking f-bodies to cruise with I will be out alot this summer so I look forward to meeting up with you!

Kyle
Old 01-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

is there any way you can mount it to the top of the dashboard? it looks like it can fold down... seems that it would work, and be less hazardous... sorta...
Old 01-07-2006, 01:43 PM

That is another option that could vary easily work because i can flip the display of the screen upside down to make it play the proper way and it really wouldnt be hurting anything because my dashpad already had a crack right where the monitor would be mounted on it, then it is also in direct sight of every one that is intrested in breaking in and the scarry part about that is someone just broke into my dads cadillac lastnight and after realizing without the key and remote it is IMPOSSABLE to get to run they totally desroyed it estimated damage was 57,000 dollars so now I really dont want my car back here when it is out of storage, I guess one of the many ricers he killed got mad and took it out on the car so when we get it back gotta take the worked northstar out....Now I am unsure if i should put all this other stuff in my car

Kyle
Old 01-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

in my experience... any time I get something nice in my car that others can see/know about..

...it's gone...

hide it.

hell, when they broke into my bird, they even leaned the back seat forward to make sure I didn't have any more amps mounted IN the seat... so you're not even safe then...

pretty weak... I seriously want to do the razerblade thing... cuz, screw it... they are gonna mess your junk up anyways... it would be awesome to make some sort of razerblade trap that grabs their arm/hand so they are stuck 'til the cops come...

think painful chinese fingertrap...
Old 01-08-2006, 04:59 PM

or you do the good old barbed triple fish hooks and sew them to a leather mat and then sew a thin sheet of material over it, I made it into a seat cover with hooks all on the bottom and back of the seat cover so it is totally consealed and it will hurt like hell plus, I have razor blades on all of my other stuff in areas where someone would grab it from underside and rip it out. I'm not lettin anyone get away unless they are in great pain and the police have their DNA. I think I'm am going to go ahead the the install but try to make it stealthy and hard to see from the outside.

Kyle
Old 01-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member

too bad with this society we will both go to jail if someone actually hurts themselves on our stereos...

your best bet is to have an alarm so loud that it startles the neighbors blocks away...

and I have this design already worked out...

basically it plays all the speakers in the car at max volume... man, that would be awesome...

could you imagine 1400WRMS going to two 15" Brahmas, and over 1000WRM going to 6 other component speakers??

the subs will gain attention for a 1/4 mile at least... and no one would be caught dead inside that car...
Old 01-11-2006, 11:33 PM

Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: v6 3.1
Transmission: auto
how would you wire that up ? i had the same idea but unfortuantly i dont know how to make it work.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Supreme Member

basically you'd have to 'tee' into the RCAs with a source that is activated by the alarm output...

personally I was going to use a microcontroller (which I already have in my car for other reasons,) and just have it generate a pulsating tone of varying frequencies....

enough treble to burst your eardrums...

enough bass to cause brain damage...

etc etc
Old 01-13-2006, 06:42 PM

LOL Wouldn't that be great now that could be usefull I might have to try that, it sounds almost as effective and my razors lol and almost as painful!

Kyle