Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

DVD and monitor placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: ***Bagged 2.8***
Transmission: 4 speed auto
DVD and monitor placement

Hey guys I just got a dvd player 7" monitor, 15" monitor, FM modulator and a Kicker 1200 watt 12" L5 sub on a trade for one of my nirto r\c's. I plan on using the dvd player, 7" monitor, and FM modulator. I already know where the FM Modulator is going but I need suggestions on places to put the DVD unit and the monitor. I was wondering if i could fit the DVD player over top of my deck if I took the adapter plate out? Also where could I put the monitor(s) I know the camaro's have a handy place like Jims but not the birds so I would like some sudgestions I can get some pics up of the equiptment tomorrow if you guys want Thanks alot

Kyle
Old 12-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont know if this will help but its what i plan on doing someday. 4th gen visors with lcd screens.
Attached Thumbnails DVD and monitor placement-129851_6_full.jpg  
Old 12-30-2005, 10:44 AM

Yea I was thinking about that and it would work alright thanks for the input anyone else with any ideas co'mon creativity!

Kyle
Old 12-30-2005, 11:02 AM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 191ci 6cyl
Transmission: 700r4
I was thinking of getting a set of autometer gauges that have all 4 gauges in 1 as well as a new speedo and tach from autometer. Put those in the 3 gauge pods going from left to right, then cut the grey plastic after that, take out the 4th gauge pod and the vents in the middle. Make a custom bracet or whatever like Jim did and put the screen there...if even possible. Just been kicking the idea around in my head. Someone else has put a screen on/in the map pocket. They cut it in the middle and placed the screen there, then what they cut they made it so you could velcro it back on so you couldn't see the screen when not in the car.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:35 AM

yea I was thinkin about the map pocket idea because it is the only real space for it but once I got and see my car again I'll take another look at it for placement I like the stock gauges so I'm not about to change those yet but thanks for the idea very creative any more?

Kyle
Old 12-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
heres another pic i got saved on my computer. dont know whose car it is. i dont totally like it though. Maybe if they got rid of the map pocket altogether it might look better.
Attached Thumbnails DVD and monitor placement-spring4.jpg  
Old 12-30-2005, 08:04 PM

I like that and yes I agree with removing the map pocket completly or having it fold back over the screen to "hide" it. I am just thinking it will be hard to see from the drivers seat.
Any other ideas?

Kyle
Old 12-30-2005, 11:21 PM

Car: 91 RS, 95 Z28
Engine: 305 tbi, 350 lt1
Transmission: 4l60, 4l60e
Axle/Gears: monsterous 2.73s in both
Is it just the perspective of the picture or does it look like the driver would have trouble seeing the monitor becaue of the way the instrument panel and gauges stick out about 6 inches.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
It wouldn't be visible to the driver in the map pocket location but why do you need to see a screen when you're driving anyway? You can't watch a video screen when you're driving and if you’re parked why would you want to watch a movie in your car? You’re better off going to a theater or your house and watching it on a bigger screen. Sure it might be cool to show your friends once or twice but after that it serves no practical use. It also entices thieves and our cars are painfully easy to break into.

The only l screens that I consider useful to the driver are touch screens and even those are a little too distracting to the driver because you have to look at them to use them.

Now if you were to mount a monitor for the passenger to keep them quiet when you're on trips that's a whole other story. The last thing a modern day driver needs is another distraction.

[/rant]

If you’re creative enough you can delete your center vents and maintain your current gauge cluster minus the vents on the far right hand side. You would then have a bit more space to work with but you would still be off center. The only way to be centered is to mount the screen in the center console or to move the HU/HVAC controls and put the screen in the stock HU location.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:55 PM

I know our cars are WAY to easy to break into but thats where the high end alarm and its own hidden icolator and battary so it is near impossable to stop the 3 different sirens from screaming. Back to topic i might try to attemp deleting the vents in the middle and whatnot to allow for the monitor.

Any ideas on DVD player placement?

Kyle
Old 01-01-2006, 11:09 PM

Anything on DVD player placement?

Kyle
Old 01-02-2006, 03:20 PM

Car: 91 RS, 95 Z28
Engine: 305 tbi, 350 lt1
Transmission: 4l60, 4l60e
Axle/Gears: monsterous 2.73s in both
Is the dvd player 1 DIN? Maybe just replace your headunit and go with just the DVD player. I'm not sure if the DVD players capabilities match the head unit (pre-outs and all that) so this may just be a worthless opinion.

Depending on how much fabrication you're willing to do, you may be able to cut into the dash and mount it underneath of the monitor (in the picture). Just a thought.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Well here are the pics of the equipment

I now have some ideas and I am attempting to photochop them together, but any more ideas would be greatly apprechiated.

Kyle
Old 01-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
you kinda made me laugh a little bit with the:

"thats where the high end alarm and its own hidden icolator and battary so it is near impossable to stop the 3 different sirens from screaming"

if you think that is going to stop anyone... you've got another thing coming.

the ONLY reason I got my 2-way pager alarm was so that I could remote start the car, and control a multitude of features (like turn on/off stereo, etc)... no chance in hell that an alarm is gonna stop a real thief.

to stop a thief from stealing your stuff out of a thirdgen, first you gotta make sure you DONT have t-tops, then secondly, replace your windows with steel... secondly weld your doors shut, and thirdly, roll it into a river...

then, only then, will your stuff be safe.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

also, I read that a real alarm only prevents about 10% more theft than a simple blinking LED on your dashboard (which only stops the kiddy-moron thieves)
Old 01-10-2006, 07:27 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
A real alarm will keep your stuff safe unless your stuff is worth the efforts of the thief to take the time to deal with your alarm.

In other words, an alarm will keep a Pyle head unit safe, but it may not protect a $2k Alpine multimedia rig.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:40 AM

Thats where I'm comming from I have a simple pioneer DEH2700 headunit and everything else(right now) it covered up or hidden from the outside eye, not saying its fool proof but this alarm will stop alot more skilled theif's then the simple paging car alarm that I started with, and now I am going to totally re-think the way I am going to be placeing all of the eqiptment.

Kyle
Old 01-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Before my bird was wrecked, I planned on installing a piece of wood over my sub box in the well, with holes cut out for the woofers.... then I was going to cover the entire board with interior-matched fabric, keeping it very tight... then mount it to the top of my sub box... it would really clean up the area, plus no one would ever be able to tell I had subs..

in my specific case, my sub box left about a 10" gap between the back of the seat on the hump over the gas tank... where I kept my amps... so in my case, I was going to make a hinged section of that board so I could fiddle with the amps... but when I was done, I'd fold it down and secure it, and out of sight, out of mind...

I also strongly recommend you avoid having the headunit stick out a million feet, like a lot of us have to (unless we do a lot of work,) because it's a big eye-catcher...

my goal is to make the car totally covert and keep the stock speaker grills and whatnot... I like the idea of the 4thgen subthump boxes, but they are ONLY for 10s!!! so I have to make something myself...

and man... the 4thgen t-tops mount wwweeeirrd... there is a mechanism at the bottom of the well that the t-tops slide into and lock into place... it makes for a quick, and easy removal and installation... but now I have to find some wickedly awesome way of mounting them somehwhere else...