Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

should i try to hook my sub up to my 6x9? or should i take it to circuit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1997 S10
Engine: 4-Cyl 2.2 Liter
Transmission: Automatic
should i try to hook my sub up to my 6x9? or should i take it to circuit

ok well i need some help. i do not know anything about car audio. i have a pionner DEH-p3500 head unit, and a MTX road thunder 400 watt 10in sub, and a MTX road thunder RT2002 amp. my brouther tried to hook my system up to my car twice and my just kind of hums i guess. but we pulled his car up close and left everthing in my car and pulled the wires over to his head unit and it worked just fine. what should i do? should i take it to circuit and try to have them in stall it? the head unit was a "referbished" one its still under warrenty. or should i have him try to hook it up to the 6x9 is it bad to have a sub hooked streight to a 6x9?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:16 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro Heritage Edition
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
I would personally have them install it if you are not sure to as exactly what you are doing. Headunits are tricky to install, but I did it by just reading the manual. I wouldn't guess with stuff because you can end up ruining the stuff.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:20 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula WS6
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
what are you having trouble with hooking up???? the headunit to he factory wires? the sub to the amp? the amp to the headunit?

i'll try to help you out as best as a i can

on your headunit power harness you should have a bunch of coloured wires heres what they do

Factory Wiring
Orange = Power
Yellow = Accessory
Pink = Power Antenna
Brown= Dimmer
Gray=Panel Lights
Black = Ground
Light And Dark Green = Right Front Speakers
Tan And Gray = Left Front Speakers
Brown And Yellow = Left Rear Speakers
Dark Blue And Light Blue = Right Rear Speakers

That Is For The Base Model system

Aftermarket Head Unit Wiring

Red = Accessory
Yellow = Battery
Black = Ground
Orange = Illumination
Blue = Remote
White and White With Black Line = Front Left Speaker
Gray And Gray With Black Line = Front Right Speaker
Green And Green With Black Line = Rear Left Speaker
Purple And Purple With Black Line = Rear Right Speaker
Antenna Cable Into Antenna Spot

Now To Hook Up The Amp To The HU.... you should have a set of preouts on the back of your headunit....You May Have 1-2 pairs... Maybe 3.... if you have 3... you'll most likely have 1 for sub control 1 for front and 1 for left... if you have 3... use the one for sub control..... if you have 2... it'll probably front and rear.... use the rear.... if you have 1... well then you have to use just the 1... if you have none... well then you have to buy a line converter... from speaker to RCA's.....

Now You'll want to run your rca wires from your headunit to the amp....just match the colours...red goes to red... white goes to white....now you'll also want to run your remote wire aswell with this... so attach your remote wire from your head unit... and run it to where your amp is going to be aswell.... plug that into the remote spot on the amp

next you should have run your power wire for your amp already.... if not do that... but run it on the opposite side of the car as your RCA wires and your remote wire....

once you have those done... do your ground for your amp which you should have done already as well.....

once all that is done... hook up your sub to your amp.... (+) on your subs voice coil to + on the speaker out put terminal on the amp.... same goes for the (-) side aswell

If You have anymore questions just post them up

Last edited by jethawk; 08-04-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Sounds like you already damaged the HU doing it your self. The humming sounds like you opened the ground on the RCA outputs. The ONLY way this happens is a bad ground at the HU or the amp.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by NEEDAZ
Sounds like you already damaged the HU doing it your self. The humming sounds like you opened the ground on the RCA outputs. The ONLY way this happens is a bad ground at the HU or the amp.
first thanks for all your help. the HU was installed by circuit and the HU was a one that was brought back by some one who bought it be for me it was "refurbished." so my bro. tryed to ground the amp at 2 diffrent places we got red of all the paint so i think it was a good ground there. where is the ground at the HU?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 caddy PIMP
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: i dunno
Theres a thread here which has all the colors for stock radio wire colors/aftermarket all that. Black is ground though. red is ignition yellow is power(usually) your speakers you can look at what color they are at the speaker or even better.

Always run your power wire on the opposite side from your RCAS. Make sure everything is wired correctly. Make sure your speakers are connected correctly. +/- etc.

If all else fails return the head unit.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
The humming on your HU and not you brothers makes me think you have an open ground on the RCA outs. Do you have and know who to use an ohm meter? If so it's an easy test, just check the resistance from the RCA ground to the HUs chassis. If not you should grab a DMM and learn, great tool to have handy. It only takes a bad ground for an instant to cause problems. But cauld have been bad when you got the HU. You wouldn't know it was a problem until you used that output.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by NEEDAZ
The humming on your HU and not you brothers makes me think you have an open ground on the RCA outs. Do you have and know who to use an ohm meter? If so it's an easy test, just check the resistance from the RCA ground to the HUs chassis. If not you should grab a DMM and learn, great tool to have handy. It only takes a bad ground for an instant to cause problems. But cauld have been bad when you got the HU. You wouldn't know it was a problem until you used that output.
thanks for the help yes my dad has an ohm meter i will have to check that out when i am off work.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Best Buy hooked up my friends radio wrong which literally blew up his car a few days later. He didn't get any money from them either. They butchered the wiring which caused "a cap to overcharge" says the mechanic which blew some modules in the dash, creating a fire and destroying the car. I'd say DIY.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73
document everything and take it to court.. if you can prove that it was Best buys fault that the car turned into a bomb then you can sue
Old 08-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Bestbuy would completely cover the damage... they have insurance for that.

SWEET! I have an open RCA ground too!! Can we be friends?

Man I wish I knew how/when it happened... I seriously think it was BestBuy's doing... but I'm not concerned since I have the 4-year replacement plan... which you can renew btw!