Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Left side Speakers Dont Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Coupe
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: 700R4
Left side Speakers Dont Work

Hello,
It seems my left side speakers dont work, neither of em. THe right siade works fine, but there is no sound at all out of the lefts. I have an all stock system with a stock delco head unit. I can turn the **** to make the sound all left, and turn it out loud, and I hear the sounds, but it is very low and choppy, and the sound only comes out of the dash speaker, not the back one. Is there an ideas, or is my left side speakers toast?
Thank You,
mr_han_solo
Old 05-11-2005, 10:20 PM

ok, if the left front is messed up, should the left back work? It is the back wired through the front? I'm guessing since no replies, that my only opton is to but new speakers, and I was planning to, but not so soon. I took out my head unit, and everything is plugged in good. Is the left speakers on any kind of fuse or relay?
mr_han_solo
Old 05-11-2005, 10:29 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 1991 305 TBI
Transmission: Th700-R4
Check your connections. Make sure all the wires are connected at the speakers, and if your hu harness has been spliced, make sure those all still have good connections. Je because you have a stock radio in there, doesnt mean your harness hasnt been cut, lots of people dont sell their aftermarket radios with the car.
[edit]nevermind, i just saw that you already did that; I suppose your speakers are just crapped out[/edit]
Old 05-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Could be the speakers, could be the HU. Check the speakers with an ohm meter.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:49 PM

Car: 1991 firebird
Engine: tbi 305
Transmission: 700r4
i had this problem as well when i got my bird. in my case it ended up being the headunit. replased the tierd tape deck for a nice alpine unit out of my 325i (R.I.P.)
Old 05-14-2005, 08:55 AM

Car: 1992 Firebird T-Tops
Engine: V6
Transmission: Auto
Sounds like a headunit problem. I doubt both speakers died at the same time.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:25 AM

Ok guys, here's what I I did. I took the left rear out and ohmed it, came up with nothing. So I took the right rear out and put it in the left rear, then took the original left rear and put it in the right. Turned the radio on, and the left rear works and the right dosent. Looks like bad speakers. I was planning to buy new ones anyway, but not so soon. For the rear I plan to get Pioneer 6x9 5-Way TS-A6991R, and for the front I plan for Pioneer 4x6 3-Way's TS-A4670R. Think these will work out good? Or could I get better qualit in that price range. The head uni I plan to get is the Alpine CDA-9830. Thanks for the replies guys, your opnions are always helpful when a noob like me begins to work on their Camaro/Firebird.
mr_han_solo
Old 05-14-2005, 09:44 AM

haha, spoke too soon about the headunit. The stock stuff is all crap in my opinion, whether it works or not
Anyways, I had a similar Pioneer 4x6 in my car not too long ago (slightly older 2-way version). It was an upgrade from stock, but didn't sound great by any means. They distorted at even moderate volume and were irritating at relatively high volume.
So here are some options:
1. If you just want to get a CD player and some better sounding speakers that run off the head unit (and you never plan on buying subs and don't really care how loud it gets), those 4x6's you picked should be fine. They won't give you any bass, and should be high-passed in some way to avoid distortion. Amping these will be a waste at 20W RMS.
You won't get much bass out of those 6x9's, regardless of whether you buy an external amp or not due to their mounting location. I've never listened to those particular 5-way coaxes before, but I doubt they sound much better than the 2-way version that is probably much cheaper.
2. If you're looking to eventually upgrade to subs, buy a set of components (external crossovers make a huge difference in sound quality), some good kick panels, a small amp, and go from there.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:57 AM

Hey,
Thanks for the tips. What I am wanting is a loud moderate bass system. I dont want a sub, I decided that a long time ago, and I still dont want one, i just want a crisp clean speaker system, with moderate bass. What speakers do you reccommend? I am looking into kick panels.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:53 PM

I'd definitely start with the kick panels and some components with a small amp. I bought some of the last Infinity Kappa 5.25" components as they were being liquidated to make room for the new model just a little while ago, but I don't think cardomain.com sells them anymore (they were at a great price). Those are my main speakers up front, and create a pretty nice soundstage.
I have some Infinity Reference 6x9 two ways in the back, but the gain is turned down a bit on the amp for those speakers to give some nice rear fill that doesn't mess up the imaging in front. Really, I could have done without the 6x9's. I won't be taking them out now that I have them, but I could have spent the money on better components up front. For what I paid, I'm tickled to death with what I have. For about $450, you can buy Jim's custom components, custom crossovers, and custom kick panels. He is also selling the kicks seperately, but you'll have to ask him about the price. Rezn8r also has a good reputation for all sorts of enclosures.

It's hard to get moderate bass even from the 6x9's in the back. Even if the speaker is capable of producing notes that low, the lack of an enclosure means they are not heard, since the waves from the front and back of the speaker cone cancel each other out. It is truly an unfortunate design, since nothing below about 150Hz is heard. This could be overcome if you wanted to fiberglass enclosures for the 6x9's (or even small 8" subs/midwoofers) in the rear quarter panels, but I haven't known anyone who has done this. If I had the time, I might have gone this way, myself, and saved some trunk space.

Thus, I still recommend getting a small sub to put somewhere. I'm not even talking about serious bass you can hear down the street (a common misconception when people mention "subs"). Subs add nice low end kick no matter what music style you like (unless you listen to mostly "oldies," which don't contain any low frequency information - don't get me wrong, I like 50's and 60's music, the recording quality just isn't the best). A sub also means your smaller front speakers will thank you because you can use a crossover to filter out low frequencies they weren't meant to handle (I recommend crossing them over even if you don't buy a sub). Even the newer "premium" factory car audio systems incorporate some type of sub for this very reason - even if it is a smaller one that doesn't reproduce the lower notes very well.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:11 PM

I really dont want a Sub, its just something I am set aganist. But what you say about this fiberglass enclosure. Would it allow me to have some/better base from the 6X9? I have talked to a friend that did a custom Sub enclosure in his celica and he said it wasnt that hard to do. So, If I do go that route, would I accomplish what I am wanting?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:09 PM

IF the enclosure is big enough, the 6x9's will sound better than they do now and you will probably get what you want.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:20 PM

Ok,
So should I take out the metal enclosure that is uses now and mold the fibergalss around it? Or how shoudl I go about doing this?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:16 PM

I would leave everything in the car as it is and just close off all the openings, using parts of the car as part of the enclosure. This way you will get maximum volume inside. Of course, you probably won't be able to take it out if you do this, so it depends on what your goal is.
If you need something removable, you could cover the area with plastic (or something that won't get stuck to the car), use fabric and resin to make a mold, and then remove it from the car to do the fiberglassing. You will have to remove the entire rear quarter panel to get it out and put it back in, but that shouldn't be much extra work if you have the tools.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:29 PM

Where did you find that pic?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:00 AM

I took it myself with my speaker out, lol. Ok, well, i'll ponder the choices and figure out if this is what I really want or not.
Thanks,
Han
Old 05-16-2005, 08:43 AM

Why did you make the pic so friggin huge?