Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Hard Drive Mp3 Players and Portable Car Audio Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird T-Tops
Engine: V6
Transmission: Auto
Portable Hard Drive Mp3 Players and Their Applications in Car Audio

Is there a difference in the sound quality between the portable hard drive based mp3 players (and what sound shaping controls they have)? i would like to use it with the external input on my head unit.
If there is a good review web page for this, send me to it. Cnet didn't have anything that was reasonably written the last time I was there. They seem to focus on style and "cool factor" and garbage i don't care about rather than the quality of sound reproduction in any technical terms (the fact that one of their reviewers who probably knows little about quality audio components thought one player sounded better doesn't impress me).
For me, something that fits in my pocket will work better than an in-car computer since i can take the music wherever and just plug it in, rather than having to constantly upload to the car computer's hard drive (unless you're using the computer for other stuff as some of you mentioned, then the computer is the way to go). I also don't really need the full functionality of a computer in my car (cool as it would be). I need a player that allows me to use it as an external hard drive for video and other stuff as well (not for viewing, just for file transport) with at least 40 gigs of space. I don't feel like paying for an ipod just b/c it is a fashion statement, but I will do it if it is the best quality component.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by sesand; 04-05-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: 350 HO
Transmission: TH350 to go in next week
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I've got an iPod that I hook up to the AUX input in the back of my HU, and I think it sounds really good..
To be fair, while a lot of people do buy iPod's for the fashion aspect, a lot of people bought them before they became popular (if that makes any sense at all...)
Old 04-04-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by Justin Horne
I've got an iPod that I hook up to the AUX input in the back of my HU, and I think it sounds really good..
To be fair, while a lot of people do buy iPod's for the fashion aspect, a lot of people bought them before they became popular (if that makes any sense at all...)
I'm certainly not silly enough to avoid something just because it is popular I know the ipod is a quality product.
However, it irritates me that Apple started marketing them as a fashion statement (and I know people who wear them and talk about them like they are an article of clothing or a new pair of shoes). I think it is the reason why they don't post any specs, and the only thing I'm concerned with is how it PERFORMS. Not only can they avoid this, but they can mark up the prices a bit, too, because the "in crowd" will pay for it.
The whole reason for starting this thread was to get an idea for what the good folks at thirdgen.org had experienced with different portable players. If ipod is the best there is, then that is what I will look for.
I'm also hoping that in the next year or so, the prices will get knocked down another $100 or so on the 40-60GB models.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: 350 HO
Transmission: TH350 to go in next week
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Yeah, I'll give you that, Apple is starting to market them as fashion things... It started with the silhouette ad campaigns, but now with the iPod shuffle, it even comes with a lanyard to carry the thing around your neck... Whatever happened to people like me buying them to listen to music with?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
there are MUCH better products out there besides the ipod...

for the same price as a 20g ipod, you can get a 40g archos MM jukebox, which plays divx movies on its own LCD screen...

for years the nomad and archos have lead the way...

screw ipod, and screw U2 for being such yuppies...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

to be honest... if Kenwood would just make the music keg have a REMOVABLE hard drive, so I can put in a regular 400gb HDD... I would trade in ALL my equipment, just so I could use the music KEG...

so would thousands of people...

music keg is ingenious in the application... you just hit source on the deck, and scroll through directories, genres, whatever... playlists and everything...
Old 04-05-2005, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by ScrapMaker

for years the nomad and archos have lead the way...

screw ipod, and screw U2 for being such yuppies...
Easy there, tiger.

I wanted your opinion on mp3 devices, not your opinion of the people who buy ipods....

Did you even read the posts, or did you skip right from reading the word "ipod" to writing your reply?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

by U2 I didn't mean "you too"

I mean the yuppy band that portrays the ipod...

I was mostly pointing out that there are others out there, that ARE much better... such as the nomad and the archos, and they've been around much longer as well

On a side note, I do hate it when people buy an Ipod, because it means that horrible advertising works, and if I see any more of that crap... something bad will happen.

--
in my HONEST opinion. You would be MUCH better off looking into an archos multimedia jukebox... or just the mp3 player version without a color lcd screen..

here is something that will help you out.

honestly, THIS is 10x better than an ipod...
Archos Gmini 400

New Archos Video/Picture Products

don't forget, they sell stuff just like the ipod, with limited functionality.

also these are pretty nice.
Nomad 3

nomad zen 60gb

keep in mind, that ALL portable music systems, HDD or flash, have VERY limited sound shaping options... the most you will ever find is a 3 band eq, or bass and treble controls.

--

I was never commenting on anyone personally...

but I do have a severe hatred for apple and the ipod, and I find it offensive that people line up in hoards to buy them, when there are cheaper, better units out there.

also, in case you haven't heard, using Itunes friggin' sucks for transferring mp3s...

with the archos you plug it in ANY computer with a usb port, and it shows up as an external hdd, usb 2.0

good luck
Old 04-06-2005, 04:19 PM

lol, my mistake on the U2 thing. i think they're over-rated, too.
I was reading about the Rio Karma 20 GB player, and it has a 5-band parametric EQ, but I heard people were having problems with the hard drives crashing if they get bumped around enough - so probably not a good idea for our cars. i want my drive to last 5 years at least...
if you dislike apple, check out this website - its freaking hilarious:

http://members.***.net/clyqz/macs.html
Old 04-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

archos or nomad

that site was great... I wish I could make it full-screen
Old 04-06-2005, 08:44 PM

not sure why the picture was so small. he did make the video with a mac so maybe that was part of the gag.....