Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Home Theater to Car Subs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: 305
Home Theater to Car Subs?

I have some Liquid Cooled home theater speakers.(15in subs on each with some small tweeters) i was wondering how would it sound if i took the speakers out and put them in a enclosed box and put them in my car?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
I have a bunch of comments…

First, those 'subs' are actually woofers since they are part of a speaker that is also housing a tweeter. I know that sometimes they are marketed as built in subs or whatever, but that's the same as a car company selling you a 6 or 8 speaker car when it's just a set of components up front and a pair of 6x9’s in back (they count the tweeter and woofer as seperate speakers despite them being wired together on the same channel).

That aside, you're going to run into pretty big issues amping that thing with car equipment, not to mention building a box that will work for it.

Home speakers typically are a lot more efficient, have higher ohms levels, and take less wattage, than their car counterparts. What this translates into is a speaker that will be a pita to amp for fear of blowing something.

Your box will also be a bit of a problem since it’s going to be next to impossible to know what kind of volume you should build for, whether or not it should be ported, etc.

I'm sure you could do it, it would just be a pain to do so and it might not be worth it.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:52 PM

Car: 2006 'Nox 91 Camaro RS 91 1500 Silv
Engine: GM 3.8L, 305 SBC, 350 SBC
Transmission: Auto, auto, auto
**Assuming they're 8 ohm woofers** If he just took the woofers out of the home cabinets and put them in their own box, he could wire them in parallel and have the amp see them as a single 4 ohm sub right?

I'm sure somebody's got corrections for me, but I think you should be able to work it out along those lines.
This is what I'm talking about

As far as a box goes, it seems like he is just recycling old woofers (maybe I'm wrong) and I would think that he could just use any old generic box and get decent bass out of it. Sure it wouldn't be tuned well, and may not be exceptional quality sound, but just to get some bass into the car I think it would work

But I think ditch the tweeters, or put them elsewhere in the car, for wiring and enclosure purposes, not to mention you may not really hear them if they are in the very back of the car.

I'm actually curious how you could go the other way...using a sub for a car in a house.

Last edited by Damien00677; 11-21-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
Originally posted by Damien00677
... I'm actually curious how you could go the other way...using a sub for a car in a house.
There's a ton out there about that question. The biggest problem is that car audio is really power hungry, so you're pretty much stuck using a car amp since your typical home amp won't be able to provide enough power. This brings you to the next problem: how do you power a car amp that pulls 20+ amps in your house, let alone give it a constant 12-14v dc? Some use old HAM power supplies (expensive), others battery chargers (ugly, ‘cheap fix’). Either way, there's no great way of doing it.

If you hit up google, you will find a ton of info.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:09 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
There are some major differences between your typical home stuff and your typical car stuff. It may or may not have a major impact on your idea.

First is that most home stuff tends to be large drivers that need large enclosures. If you can fit that large of an enclosure in your car, fine.

Secondly, home stuff tends to be less robust because most home buyers don't need 140+ dB SPL levels. Home stuff handles less power, and has less x-max. This isn't always the case though, because a lot of the newer stuff is using the same type of high power, high x-max low efficiency stuff that is popular in the car world.

Thirdly is impedance. Typically home stuff is rated at 8 ohms, although this isn't always the case with powered subwoofers. Most powered subwoofers use 4 ohm drivers so that they can get the most power out of the plate amps used.