Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

weighing in pros/cons of fiber vs MDF (volume, cost, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
weighing in pros/cons of fiber vs MDF (volume, cost, etc)

I would like to start off by saying that weight does not matter at all to me, to a point. If I were to build a box out of lead it would be excessive weight wise, but between MDF and fiberglass, I should be able to stay way below 75 pounds.

I just went outside and did some preliminary measuring and I think that I will be able to squeak by volume wise using MDF as my material of choice, but not by much. It will also be one heck of a complicated box (deep middle well, 7" wide thing on the right that’s only 7” tall, 3" wide thing on the left (also 7” tall), hatch pull down, etc).

That said, fiberglass will be a LOT easier to do in terms of getting something to fit the space well, but how cost effective is it? I would like to stay below $100-$150 on supplies since I can go out and buy all the MDF and liquid nails I could ever want for less than $75. It's also that cold time of year and this is the daily driver, so I don’t know how easy it would be to fiberglass something together (this would be my first mayor attempt).

All thoughts/comments are welcome. I don't want to hear any discussion about box volumes (I know I can get more out of fiber than wood), I just want to know how long it takes you guys to make things out of glass and how much it costs.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
Fiberglass is going to be a little more costly. Not to mention more than likely you will still use a little MDF. MDF will be used for mounting rings (or for a face plate), dividers (if more than one sub is used), and for bracing at times... in your box depending on exact shape it wouldn't need to much bracing since it's short.

Basically fiberglass is going to take more time overall because of the curing time, fabrication, and skills required. You got to consider you'll be laying multiple layers of fiberglass so at least 5+ depending on the quality and thickness.

When it all comes down to it:

I'm guessing around $15 to $20 in walmart supplies (cheap brushes, gloves, goggles, wax, tape, alum foil, etc)

Another 20 to 40 in resin (depending on how much you use and where you get it. I buy from uscomposites and the b-440 I used was right around 20 bucks + shipping for a gallon)

Fiberglass (You'll want to get this from a seller other than Walmart. I'm guessing another 10 to 20 bucks if you get plain mat (or more). You could go more strength with woven but it's costly)

MDF building supplies, liquid nails for the mounting rings and bracing, wood screws

Bondo like 12 bucks for the gallon if you want to paint else if you're gonna wrap it will be easier

Sanding supplies for painting, then cost of primier, paint... etc

-----
Generally speaking it's all up to the look you want. If you go fiberglass it will be more work, but it could stand out from other installs. Course MDF can be done awesome also.

I imagine you'll have over 150 in it easily if you go fiberglass.

BTW it took me right around 4 1/2 months working on my sub box to finish it. Right around 600 to 650 bucks too. It was huge though, it houses 2 subs with around a 3.3 or 3.4 cubic ft each (never measured to check after built).

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=233634

Last edited by fireturd350; 11-17-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

I remembered reading your thread and that's why I'm leaning away from building a fiber box in terms of time and money

I realize that I would be using some mdf (rings, divider, etc), but I was talking about your typica fiberglass box vs your typical mdf box.

I'm not a huge fan of the 'I want this now' mentality, but anything over two-three weeks doesn't seem worth it to me. At least not for bass considering that I can crank out a MDF box easily over a weekend. At the same time, it would be nice to have the slightly better option...

I duno, it's all in the air. Hence me asking for opinions.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
Yeah, just saying it's going to be pretty hard to do it on that tight of budget.

I fiberglassed last winter and didn't have to much trouble with it. My hands got to cold I couldn't feel them anymore so it wasn't to much fun spreading resin. Oh and it took a little longer for the resin to harden up.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

It's not that I don't have money to spend; I just don't see spending the equivalent of another sub in terms of fiberglass and materials.

How long did it take you to do the initial shell (from tin foil to it coming out for more layers)? If I can knock that out quickly, I think I might lean toward glassing it since MDF will be a nightmare considering all the random cubes I will have to make.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:02 PM

fiberglas roxxorz.

what are your goals? how many millions of 3rd gens have you seen with wood boxes? now how many with 'glass?

if it's seriously just a wishy washy decision, build a wood one, it'll cost you 30$ and if you don't like it, sell it. then build the fiberglass one.