Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

no left channel on LA Sound 400XL

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 1991 305 TBI
Transmission: Th700-R4
no left channel on LA Sound 400XL

I cant find ANYTHING on the internet on this amp. The left channel output doesnt work. Everything looks visually intact, and theres only one circuit board. The only thing that i can think of is the pair of capacitors that are a little loose that are right under another pair of capacitors that are in solid. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
I'm going to assume that you've tried switching the RCA inputs and the subs to rule out any other potential causes? If so and you're positive that it's in the amp time to take a VARY close look at things.
How much if any experience repairing electronics?
With only one channel out it's usualy a bad solder connection. First check around the RCAs and the speaker output terminals for bad connections. These are the most common places for bad connection to develop. Would you know what to look for when looking for a bad solder connection?
Those caps are probably power supply caps and shouldn't be the cause this problem. One set probable for Rail+ and one set for Rail-. Solder and glue (epoxy) them back to the board to CYA (cover you're a$$).
If you don't have much experience let me know, I'll go into detail on some of the steps. Let use know what you find.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:52 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 1991 305 TBI
Transmission: Th700-R4
I have no previous experiance with electronics. The most i've had is soldering some headphone wires back together. The RCA input area is loose, like, I can shake the rca inputs back and forth. The only visual thing I can see is little brown spots and some scratches in a large clump of solder holding down what looks like a horazontal capacitor with wires coming out of both ends (I forget the terminology) near the channel out area.

And yes, I'm positive it is the amp. I had a phonix gold amp in there and both subs worked fine. I also switched around the RCAs and the speaker wires to rule bad wires out.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
It's hard to explain some for the trouble shooting steps on-line, but I'll try if it gets that far. I would defiantly take a good look at the RCAs if they're loose. If it's not a bad solder connection it may be that one of the pins has broken off of the connector, it happen. You may just unsolder the RCA jack and have a look. If one of the pins is broken you'll usualy see it when you heat that pad up. Don't over heat the pad. A bad solder connection will usualy have what looks like a small gray circle around the pin. This is where the solder broke. Some times the "blob" of solder will lift off of the pad. If this happens it can be impossible to see the problem. Try wiggling the RCAs and see if you can see the pin or the "blob" of solder moving as you're moving the RCAs.