Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

To quiet!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To quiet!!!!!!

What's up everyone... I have another question that I have no idea how to start with. I have had two different head units in my car. The first one was cheap but I had to crank it (43 out of 46) to be able to hear anything if i was driving... no big deal, right? The new one i just got (kenwood excelon kdc 817) I have two friends who have/had the same one in their cars. One was a 1990 honda and the other a 2003 celica. Anyways, they listen to theirs normally at 12-15, while i have to turn mine to 26-30 in my Grand Am. I understand road noise could hurt, but even if the car is parked i have to trun it up higher than them. So I was wondering, what if i ditched the factory power part of the harness and ran my own. Could i use say 8g for a power direct from the battery, and then to a ground, and then still use the accessory wire to turn it on. Would this help? Does the HU pull power from the accessory wire or from the constant wire? I was just wonderin to see if i could gain some decent sound with a little bit of wire.
Thanks guys,
Jared (84'fxrupr)
Old 10-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 caddy PIMP
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: i dunno
dont bother rewiring its not gonna sound much different at all. Do you have some decent speakers in the dash/backseat? U know those cheap delco POS's the factory gives you dont hold up too well and arent all that loud.

Nate
Old 10-25-2004, 11:11 AM

Nope, the stock delcos are rockin. i wondered about the speakers but my firends are stock to, do asian cars (toyota and Honda) have better stock speakers than others? I have yet to install anything aftermarket in the grand am that i cant remove rather quickly. I might get my monte carlo back so i havent changed any factory speakers.
thanks for the help
Jared (84'fxrupr)
Old 10-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Be aware that this may get locked not being a thirdgen, but maybe not as it may apply to thirdgens. My question is what is the impedance of the GA speakers? Are they 4 ohm or something goofy like 10 ohm?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
I'd like to point out, a lot of GM cars come with amazing speakers by default... my '84 buick, my mom's '90 buick had more bass than a single 10 (it seemed)...

Most likely you need to work with the EQ in the HU, or like NEEDAZ says, the ohms are wrong... I'd also try to find out, because this is really common, if you car, or your friends have built-in factory/dealer amplifiers? There are some speaker systems that are 8ohms... like in my fathers lincoln town car... they are 8ohms and there are 8 speakers

Any way you look at it, go get an amp!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
I Recently upgraded the speakers in my sister's cavalier to replace the GM 10 ohm speakers.

You are looking at over 50% less power output with something like that.

Replace the yellow battery wire and the ground (directly to ground) with 10-12 gauge wire, fuse the wire at the battery. This will help if you have poor connections, most older cars do.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:09 AM

Be aware that this may get locked not being a thirdgen
I know, i miss my camaro and wish i had never had the problems i did, but i've learned so much from these boards I knew i could get help here.

Any way you look at it, go get an amp!
I know, i need speakers, a screen, and a ps2 as well! For christmas I'm working on gettin my LT1 swap package (intended for my camaro ) put into my 86' monte ss and to get it painted as well. I know its not a thirdegen, but its still american muscle, and come on, im asking for advisce on my grand am.
Anyways that all means that im tryin to save money to get the monte working and also i dont want to spend a lot of money on components for the grand am that I can't easily transfer over to the monte.
I'll check the impedance on the speakers and see if thats the problem, but i definately planned on running seperate (new) wires for the HU if i do up the monte carlo. I'm also gonna replace the "big 3" if i put the LT1 in and consider getting the alternator rewound.
thanks for the help guys,
Jared (84'fxrupr)
Old 10-30-2004, 12:42 PM

yup, 10 ohm speakers, i didnt look directly(not taking out subs, not taking off door panel), but i looked it up. I'm not gonna waste the time/money on this car, but thanks for all the help, i would have never thought to lack at that.
lata guys
jared(84fxrupr)