Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

front left speaker messed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:57 AM
tc3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 MPFI V6
Transmission: 700r4
front left speaker messed up

i just got my first car, 1991 camaro rs 3.1. i though at the time it had a good sound system but then the front left speaker stoped working, then it only works when going over bumps. I thought it was a wiring problem so i took the dash pad off to find these computer looking speakers there, they wernt even screwed in, they were just placed their.

It has a 180 watt head unit, and the front speakers are 30 watts. The rear speakers sound good tho.

But the question is could someone tell me wether there is another connecter in the middle of the head unit and the speaker that could be looose, or could someone just help me fix it maybe?

if i can ill post a picture of it later
Old 08-25-2004, 11:31 AM

Car: 87 camaro
Engine: 305 carb.
are yousure it's not a wiring problem? if it works going over bumps then thats what it sounds like to me.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:18 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
There are no breaks in the front wires as far as I know. It's one continuous wire from the back of the radio to the speaker. It's either a bad connection at one end of the wire, a bad spot somewhere in the wire (not likely), a problem with the radio, or a problem with the speaker (not likely).

I would check the wiring behind the radio. Who knows what kind of hatchet-job installation was done on the radio. If the harness wire connections weren't crimped and/or soldered properly, or if it was a hack & slash with no harness, there's a strong possibility that problems like this could exist.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:56 PM
tc3

i checked the wiring behind the head unit, everything looks tight. the stereo installation looks good, but there are sub and amp wires in the trunk but no sub or amp, so he probobly took everything good out, and replaced the front speakers with the ones from his computer or something. theres also a ground wire screwed into the middle of the trunk, weird place for that i would think.

The front speakers have those little connecters with circles at the end of them crimped on, and then each wire is just placed into the connecter

if its not a problem with the connector, then im thinking it might be a problem with the speaker itself, the thing is just sat there, when i go over bumps it probobly bouces around alot.

Thanks for replies...
Old 08-26-2004, 06:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
What's the brand/model of the HU?

Take the radio out of the dash and wiggle the harness where it goes into the radio, is the speaker cutting out? Now smack, shake, twist, the radio, did the speaker cut out? If the speaker cuts out with ether of these "tests" (using the term loosely) it would indicate a bad solder connection in the radio.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:15 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
It doesn't matter how the wiring "looks". Get a multimeter and confirm that it actually works.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:10 AM
tc3

The brand is JVC, just the standard model, nothing special... heres a link

Im at school now, but when i get home, if i have time ill do the smack test. and we just got a cheap multimeter recently, im not too sure how to use it so im not sure if ill do that tho.

EDIT: i was just thinking that the first thing im going to do is switch the speakers, that way i can see if it is speakers or wires... should have dont that to begin with...

Last edited by tc3; 08-26-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by tc3
The brand is JVC, just the standard model, nothing special... heres a link

Im at school now, but when i get home, if i have time ill do the smack test. and we just got a cheap multimeter recently, im not too sure how to use it so im not sure if ill do that tho.

EDIT: i was just thinking that the first thing im going to do is switch the speakers, that way i can see if it is speakers or wires... should have dont that to begin with...
Switching the speaker is a good and E-Z first step.
Just remember with the "smack test" that you don't what to beet the h3ll out of it.
That model (well, any JVC) has some problems with bad solder connections. It didn't sound like you where using an amp. The most common places for them is at the RCA outputs and at the power supply IC. So if your not using and amp i don't think that will be your problem, but maybe.....
Old 08-26-2004, 04:14 PM
tc3

well that was easy to troubleshoot, when i switched the speakers the same one wouldnt work. which i dont care much about any more, now that the drivers side works...

but the front speakers are Pioneer tune up speakers... doesnt sound right...