Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Need some info bout this old Audiovox EQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: Auto
Need some info bout this old Audiovox EQ

I was going through some old stuff and found this old audiovox EQ...

The model number is AMP-777A, with input imedance of 48 ohm and output of 4-8 ohms....

Does anyone have any info on this EQ, I could not find any information on the internet. I don't know much about car audio, but this could also be a 4 channel amp right? It has input left channel and right channel inputs that come from the stereo, and then it has 4 outputs for the speakers... I have never worked with stereos but I'm sure I can figure it out, its just a lot of stripped wires I have to put together and tape up, I think.

It also has a 10 amp fuse... I'm wondering, can installing this thing mess anything up, like the current stereo or speakers, I don't want to fry anything! The fuse would go before any such damage right? I think I had this thing hooked up like 5 years ago for a second and my piece of crap cheap pioneer radio stopped working, but I'm not sure if it was because of this EQ, it was already barely working. Thanks

Suke

Last edited by C4 Suke; 07-16-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Need some info bout this old Audiovox EQ

Originally posted by C4 Suke
I'm wondering, can installing this thing mess anything up,...The fuse would go before any such damage right...
Suke
For the fist question: YES. Some of those old EQ/Amps used common ground inputs and that WOULD kill any half way modern HU. Could be what killed the pioneer HU.
Second question: NO, at least probably not. The fuse in the HU is more for keeping the car from caching fire if you do something wrong and kill the HU, or if the amp IC goes south. It should save you if you hookup the ground and yellow wire on the HU up backwards and hit the RPP diodes. More or less the same deal for the EQ/Amp.
Now, the most important part. TRASH THAT THING. Sorry man but that thing is junk. You’ll probably get more power and cleaner sound straight off of a good HU.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:34 PM

Car: 1990 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: Auto
Hey, thanks for the info NEEDAZ, I'll take your advice and not use it, I think I'll just put it to use on some crap beater car just for fun.