Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

best wire connector (crimp)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 iroc-z 5.7tpi 350,
Engine: 5.7tpi 350,
Transmission: T-56 fully built WOOHOO
best wire connector (crimp)

what is the best wire conductor as far as a crimp...the butt style where it is a single connector one wire on each side and you crimp?? wire caps where you twist together....or the male to female connector each side crimps to one part. this is not for my camaro but i have to reconnect up a factory harness from pick n pull the orginal harness was cut off...and i got the wire harness clips to go to a deck for my daily driver 87 pontiac grand am
Old 07-07-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28 Clone
Engine: 350 w/TBI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: Spicer 3:73 Auburn Posi
If you are looking for all out qaulity, soldering would be the best, but i think when it comes to connections, crimping, etc, as long as they are connected, it will be just fine. i dont think one is better then the other. However, i do prefer the white crimp connectors, kinda look like a small wire nuts, except they dont screw on, you just crimp the wires together... alot of professional audio installers use them for alot of things...
Old 07-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I ordered a kit from crutchfield, im not sure wat the brand of connectors were but the plastic was much softer then the crimp connectors you can buy at walmart so they dont crack.

I really like the nippled shapped connectors as you only have to crimp the connector once...this worked well for applications like the cd player because the wiring is hiddent behind the dash.

If you were running wire and had to hide the wire under a panel or carpet or something similar the butt type connector would have less bulk...

They just work better for different applications, use what you like and what will work for you.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by blyth18md
the plastic was much softer then the crimp connectors you can buy at walmart so they dont crack.
This is a vary important consideration. I fix at least one radio a week that was damaged because cheep crimps where use and as time went by the plastic got brittle, cracked and came off of the crimp leaving the wire exposed. This damage is NOT covered under your warranty. Which is better, well that depends on the application. I like the bullet crimps behind the dash, it seen to make it E-Zer in some cars to get the excess wire behind the dash. Under carpet or in a run, butt style. Soldering is always best IF YOU DO IT RIGHT! Any one can get solder to stick to wire but that doesn’t mean it’s right! Never use tape and if you do use GOOD tape. Cheep tape can come unwrapped over time, it loses it “sticky” (I see this a lot as well).