Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Convertible rear speakers different..??!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI, LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Convertible rear speakers different..??!!

Hey you guys, I need to replace the rear speakers on my '88 IROC-Z convertible, and had assumed that they were 6"x9" speakers like everyone refers to here. According to Crutchfield, these rear speakers are actually 6.75" ROUND speakers, with the only replacement size easily available with modification being 5.25" round Pioneers......can anyone verify this?? I currently plan to keep the factory head unit, as the car is COMPLETELY original/stock, and do not want to cgange the appearance. The speakers they recommend would actually be fine with me, and a step up from factory event hough I have the "premium" factory setup for that year. Thoughts.....?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:20 PM

Oops - sorry folks....I neglected to run a search for past posts on this subject. Looks like it was well covered in 2003

One further question, though - I did not find any good reference to the detailed installation steps for gaining access to the rear speakers in the convertible....plenty of info on the coupe (removal of hanger, panel slides up, etc.) - anyone do this recently...?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by bxrman
Oops - sorry folks....I neglected to run a search for past posts on this subject. Looks like it was well covered in 2003

One further question, though - I did not find any good reference to the detailed installation steps for gaining access to the rear speakers in the convertible....plenty of info on the coupe (removal of hanger, panel slides up, etc.) - anyone do this recently...?
i havent recently, but i recall how to do it.

theres a top trim piece by the edge of the back where it meets the door, the seatbelt comes out of it... remove that (phillips screws)..
take the trim that runs down the back vertical part of the doorjam off.
take out the front screws for the back panel.
fold the seat down, remove the back screws.

panel should then come off.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:20 AM

Thanks - I figured it out last night. This is actually an interesting installation - the factory speaker is installed with about 65% of the surface area exposed - the rest of the speaker surface is blocked by the side panel (very strangely shaped cutout in the panel). To install the 5.25" new speaker, Crutchfield supplies a bracket adapter that you install the speaker to, and then that attaches to the trim panel.

A couple of notes for those doing this:

1) I cut out the side panel (behind the grill) opening larger to expose the whole speaker for better sound.

2) You have to be VERY careful about speaker placement here - I mounted the speaker (centered in the opening) a bit too high, and the magnet BARELY clears the structural cross member behind the panel. This is a height issue.

At this point it is reinstalled, but I think I am gonig to take it back apart and move the speaker down a bit (all still behind the rectangular factory grill) to have a little clearance for the magnet. Interestingly, there is not a depth clearance problem here, but a height issue. This is why the factory (approx. 6.5") speaker is mounted so low and partially covered by the side panel.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
oh yea, i recall a prob i had....

when my speakers hit hard (loud volume) they would touch the panel...

i ended up taking the spacers off the stock speakers and using them to space the speaker back from the panel.

if you still have your stock speakers, cut the mesh from the center, then carefully pry the spacer back.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:21 AM

Yeah - I know exactly what you are talking about What I did was reverse the bracket from Crutchfield and mount the speaker to the BACK of it, basically creating a spacer for it. Same goal - you need to move the speaker back to avoid having it touch the grill and vibrate.

Since the depth clearance does not seem to be a problem, this was no big deal. It irritates me that I need to remove it all and move the speaker down a bit, though....
Old 02-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Car: 92 WS6 Trans am convertible
Engine: ls 6.2
Transmission: 4l80
Axle/Gears: 2.73's
Re: Convertible rear speakers different..??!!

i have a 92 ta vert with 6.5's in the rear