Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Need help with center channel speaker hookup

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: stock 350
Transmission: 700R4
Need help with center channel speaker hookup

I am trying to find a way to hook up my tweeter that's mounted in the headliner as a center channel speaker. If I hook it up to one of my receivers outputs I will only be getting the sound intended for that side be it left or right. And a receivers speaker outputs can't be bridged which I assume would let it act as a center channel speaker. I've looked for receivers with center channel outputs but they are all DVD receivers with LCD screens and extremely expensive which I don't need nor have the money for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
Something I read about and tried years ago was to connect each speaker terminal to the + output from each side of the deck/receiver, and use a 15 ohm, 10 watt resistor in one wire. That car (81 Ford Thunderduck) had three speakers in the dash, which was not great for imaging, so the third speaker was barely noticeable.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why do you want a center channel if you arent listening to dvds?

adam
Old 05-05-2004, 01:59 PM

connect each speaker terminal to the + output from each side of the deck/receiver, and use a 15 ohm, 10 watt resistor in one wire
So use a pos. output from each front output (L and R) and put that resistor in just one of the wires? Where can I get a resistor like that at?

why do you want a center channel if you arent listening to dvds?
Since my subs are directly behind my seats in a complete wall, I don't have any mids or highs any farther back in the car than where the dash vents are(tweeters). My head doesn't get any farther than 1 ft away from the port which is directly behind my head. I just want a little more sound imaging I guess you could say.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
So use a pos. output from each front output (L and R) and put that resistor in just one of the wires? Where can I get a resistor like that at?
Yep; I got one at Radio Scrap years ago when they still carried electronic parts here in Canada (it really sucks now that they don't ) The ones I used were about 3/8" square and 1½" long, white in color. They may have been 10 ohms instead of 15...I can't recall for sure.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:29 PM

I just found this

The center channel wiring is done by putting 2 - 25 Watt 4 Ohm resistors into the tweeter circuit. Here is how to wire it. Take the L (+) speaker output from your receiver, hook it up to one side of the first 4 Ohm resistor, take the other end of the 1 st 4 Ohm resistor and hook it up to the tweeters (+) crossover terminal. Duplicate the process for the R side. Take the R (+) speaker output from your receiver, hook it up to one side of the second 4 Ohm resistor, take the other end of the 2 nd 4 Ohm resistor and hook it up to the tweeters (+) terminal also. (both of the 4 Ohm resistors output ends hook up to the tweeters + crossover terminal) Hook up the tweeters (-) connection to the (- ) speaker output of the receiver (or chassis ground in some cases). This configuration gives you a summed front center channel tweeter for proper sound staging.

Is that put into easier words?