Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Another car break in

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Pro
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 and 1995 Silverado
Engine: 5.7 TPI and 5.7 TBI to TPI convert
Transmission: 700R4 and 4l60E
Axle/Gears: G80 3.23 and open 3.42
Another car break in

Not mine this time.

If you have been following me, I have been broken into 2 times now, both times loosing the stereo.

Most recent was a couple weeks ago.

Well tonight me and a friend went driving around. We saw a 91 RS in a used car lot. Went over and looked at the windshield sticker. 3.1 liter, 125k miles, 6000 bucks. I was like haha WOW way too much.

I looked inside... noticed that the interior dome like was on and the passenger side door cracked open. I looked inside closer... and the stereo was missing, wires hanging out all over, and torn pieces of interior.

What are the odds that I come across ANOTHER third gen that has been ripped into? ITs like there is a group of third gen stereo-hungry fellas out there.

Me and my friend were laughing but immediately went to a WOW DONT TOUCH ANYTHING and got out of there asap.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Re: Another car break in

Originally posted by Pro
[Me and my friend were laughing but immediately went to a WOW DONT TOUCH ANYTHING and got out of there asap. [/B]
Wow; glad the cops didn't show up while u were there!! They might have thought u done it. Did you have a security system on your car when it was broken into? I've been really scared about my car and stereo being stolen lately so I installed an Omega Max alarm with the pager. The night after I installed it was the best sleep I had in awhile. Now I want to get some strobes and extra sirens for the inside. The way I see it, if your gonna spend a couple grand on a stereo system, why not spend a couple hundered on a security system.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:17 AM
Pro
Supreme Member

Re: Re: Another car break in

Originally posted by 92bird305tbi
Wow; glad the cops didn't show up while u were there!! They might have thought u done it. Did you have a security system on your car when it was broken into? I've been really scared about my car and stereo being stolen lately so I installed an Omega Max alarm with the pager. The night after I installed it was the best sleep I had in awhile. Now I want to get some strobes and extra sirens for the inside. The way I see it, if your gonna spend a couple grand on a stereo system, why not spend a couple hundered on a security system.
The first time I was robbed I had an alarm. Apparently I wasnt around to hear it when it happened. They only yanked my CD player when doing so.

The second time, though, they took the CD player and amp, as well as damaged various parts of the interior.

Here is the original thread:
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=235840

I figured that if I had been broken into once that it probably wouldnt happen again to the same car. So, I trashed the alarm (which didnt seem to help anyway) and just put in a regular GM keyless entry system (wanted to go back to the simple days).

I wasnt at home again when the second robbery happened so I wouldnt have heard it either (there was a witness that noticed a "before" and "after" of my car after it was trashed. He claimed it was late in the day between 1pm-8pm (or thereabouts). I dont think I was home at the time.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Pro
Supreme Member

BTW here are pics of the box. I got the box out and "hid" the car in a friends garage since they obviously big targets lately.

http://68.1.231.79:8080/box1.jpg
http://68.1.231.79:8080/box2.jpg
http://68.1.231.79:8080/box3.jpg
Old 05-03-2004, 11:41 AM

Car: 1984 TransAm
Engine: Remanufactured V8 350
Transmission: Automatic
guys guys guys...listen I notice that everyone thinks that alarms are going to stop people from stealing stereos from our cars but think about it, alarms are just things that make alot of noise that no one ever pays attention to. So think of this, if your going to park your car outside your house install a camera somewhere either inside your car or outside your house. I've installed a camera outside my parents window. It sits right outside of it. All I did was use my regualr video camera and have it zoomed in on my car. I plug the power supply in and bought a video tape with longer time on it so it wont run out. I have found a couple of people during the late night go by and look inside but nothing has happened yet. Its really nice though. I have there faces printed out on photo paper in cause anything happens. well Mabye this might help some of you guys but its worked for me so far.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:13 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 700r4
I once saw an show with extream things, there was a flame thrower security system. Some one actually marketed a series of flame emitting tubes under the rocker pannels of the car. When someone gets too close, they go off and give that person will get at least 2nd degree burns.

I think it was in south america or something.

In this forum I have seen other examples of hard hitting security systems.

One person mentioned a collection of nails bolted to a metal slab with the points pointing up to the seat. If someone sits in the seat there is some kind of launching mechanizim that will thrust the nails into the bottom of the wood-be theif. No running for that individual.

But seriously, I hate thieves. People work long and hard at jobs they usually don't like to be able to find the money to build these systems. For those of us who built custom boxes and planned out the arrangement of the components of the system, there is all the time and headache of getting that sound you are looking for.

Then along comes some bored individual who wants to show is manhood to whoever. They don't take the time to even unclip everything, they just cut and hack away. They destroy the interior you work so hard to maintain. Smash glass that is annoying to replace.

People like these guys just make me sick. If they get caught, they just get a slap on hand.

Makes you wish the ol eye for an eye routine would come back in some limited fashion. Back then, if you stole bread, you lost your hands. Now thats a perminate solution.

thats my rant for the day.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:53 PM

Well there is always the option of putting your car in the garage!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:16 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 305ci
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by demicon
I once saw an show with extream things, there was a flame thrower security system. Some one actually marketed a series of flame emitting tubes under the rocker pannels of the car. When someone gets too close, they go off and give that person will get at least 2nd degree burns.

I think it was in south america or something.

That security system was designed for people gettign car jacked while driving their cars. Some guy in South america came up with it because so many people were getting their cars stolen. After people started installing them, the theft rate went down about 80% i think. I believe all the driver did was push on a hidden switch and a flame shot out of the side of the car. Anyway, those are illegal in the US, because hurting criminals who are trying to steal your car, or your car audio is wrong (according to theves with good lawyers).

Old 05-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Hawks 8.8
Originally posted by Hollowmangt69
Well there is always the option of putting your car in the garage!!!
not always. I don't have a garage at my apartment, and my work sure as hell doesnt either.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:52 PM

you can always build one!!!