Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

First timer... help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First timer... help appreciated

hey guys im 16 and looking for a decent sub setup... im thinking of theese and was wondering if its any good

Check it out
also ayone have any opinions on a decent speaker for some trebble cus with theese subs the stock speakers u wont even hear the words
Old 02-12-2004, 05:32 PM

also what about this one what would be a good amp to go with this?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:23 PM

Car: 83 z28
Engine: 300hp 355
Transmission: T5
i would try to stay away from bandpass boxes, especially prefabricated ones. The amp might be decent quality but for the price i think you can buy better.

my suggestions based on your general pricerange of $310.

JBL600.1-$180 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18797

get a ported box made from a friend-$40

autotek mean machine 15-$110

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18804

this setup will get quite loud in the right box...probably capable of 150db
Old 02-13-2004, 07:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Dual is crap. :nono:
Old 02-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
:: fart noise ::
Old 02-14-2004, 07:12 PM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
me and a friend of mine was at wal mart screwin w/ they system setup junk and was tyrin out some lightnign audio 6 and halfs they put out clear hittin bass for a lil 6 and half if they 10s or 12s sound that great it be awesome.

they had my pioneer 6x9s setup too sounded good got em put em in my sails sounded great once they got broke in even better then at wal mart so id go w/ lightin audio dunno bout amps tho.

im thinkin seriously bout goin w/ 2 10s or 12 fomr lightning audio and like a power acoustic amp and another one sold by summit dont member which one tho.

alot of ppl like high dollar junk like jl audio and yea they sound damn good but a smaller les expensive system might not virbrate yur neighbors house or nothin but will sound awesome fomr the inside. which most sytems sound good outside the car sound like **** inside no music or head ache city or soemthing liek that were as they sound aweful outside or dont hear them inside sounds great.

we got a pair of road gear 12 in oru s10 and a legacy 60 watt amp sounds fine to us.

weve have cardiacs in there on a california malibu 120 amp and also a pair of urban 12s on the same 120 watt amp.
all sounded fine

fine enough for someone to break window out and steal em.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:14 PM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
also another note....

if i had the cash and wasnt worried bout theft

jls would be what id get hoose are awesome.

i assume kickers are round as good maybe better or worse dunno never heard em but jls i have and they are awesome definatly hard hitting.

and round here its 100 bucks each for a 10 inch w 0

that and an amp capabel of botu 125 or less of rms would rock big time.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Vert
Engine: 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on that amp and those subs.. it could be spent much better on different equiptment.

Besides the fact that it is a "Fast and the Furious" amp (way too cliche' for me) don't expect to get superior quality from either of those components.

For your price range, you may want to consider some entry level Rockford woofers (like the Punch Z's) and a small amp. If you are willing to spend a bit more, get some JL's or some older upper model Rockford Fosgates.

I am an RF boy at heart, but I will be one of the first to admit that the better equiptment that they have ever made is the older stuff.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:38 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
Lightening audio is NOT good stuff, don't waste your money. Also, the power is WAY over-rated, and you won't get even CLOSE to the specs they're advertising. That's usually how it works with cheaper audio.

I realize you're younger so you probably won't have a lot to spend on a decent set-up. First, I would stay away from the stuff Circuit City & Best Buy sells. The stuff really isn't that great, and it's usually overpriced. I've also noticed, they take advantage of the people who don't know their product. This isn't always the case, but I say this, because I've seen it before. And even with myself, when I first got into audio around 17, and went to CC and bought my first setup, the guy sold be total crap. Car audio is a big investment, and I know you don't wanna waste your money.

Suggestions:
JL Audio
Kicker
Eclipse
Alpine
RF

I'd stay away from:
Anything cheap (like lightening, legacy, jensen, sony (xplod), bazooka, etc)
Cheap Audiobaun (horror stories!!)

Right now, I have two base model 12" Eclipse subs in my car. They ran me about $130/sub. Which I know is a lil' expensive, you can get JL, Kicker, Alpine for cheaper, but they sound great, they're good quality, their power is rated right, etc etc.

If you wanna go to a chain store to purchase your audio, check out something like Tweeter. But I usually recommend a good local audio shop. Usually (not always) they know what they're doin' more. CC doesn't require you to have your MECP certification before you start installing there - and I've seen many mistakes made.

Some good sites to check out if you don't mind buying online:
www.ikesound.com
www.mmxpress.com
www.sounddomain.com

Also, don't bother getting a bandpass box. You cannot tell whether something is going wrong with your subs as easily that way. I'd stick to either a sealed or ported box. Ported is typically louder than sealed. I bought a prefab box for my Eclipse's because I did not feel like working with the dementions in the trunk - it's worked well. It's a sealed box, which I'm not overly happy with, but it does the job.

Also, if you want to browse topics on car audio (the more research the better!!) check out: http://forum.sounddomain.com - I'm a regular there, the people are great, there's tons of questions asked daily.

Sorry for the long post, just car audio IS my hobby, so I thought I'd pitch in my $.02.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Vert
Engine: 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Originally posted by *F-BodyFanatic*
Lightening audio is NOT good stuff, don't waste your money. Also, the power is WAY over-rated, and you won't get even CLOSE to the specs they're advertising. That's usually how it works with cheaper audio.

I realize you're younger so you probably won't have a lot to spend on a decent set-up. First, I would stay away from the stuff Circuit City & Best Buy sells. The stuff really isn't that great, and it's usually overpriced. I've also noticed, they take advantage of the people who don't know their product. This isn't always the case, but I say this, because I've seen it before. And even with myself, when I first got into audio around 17, and went to CC and bought my first setup, the guy sold be total crap. Car audio is a big investment, and I know you don't wanna waste your money.

Suggestions:
JL Audio
Kicker
Eclipse
Alpine
RF

I'd stay away from:
Anything cheap (like lightening, legacy, jensen, sony (xplod), bazooka, etc)
Cheap Audiobaun (horror stories!!)

Right now, I have two base model 12" Eclipse subs in my car. They ran me about $130/sub. Which I know is a lil' expensive, you can get JL, Kicker, Alpine for cheaper, but they sound great, they're good quality, their power is rated right, etc etc.

If you wanna go to a chain store to purchase your audio, check out something like Tweeter. But I usually recommend a good local audio shop. Usually (not always) they know what they're doin' more. CC doesn't require you to have your MECP certification before you start installing there - and I've seen many mistakes made.

Some good sites to check out if you don't mind buying online:
www.ikesound.com
www.mmxpress.com
www.sounddomain.com

Also, don't bother getting a bandpass box. You cannot tell whether something is going wrong with your subs as easily that way. I'd stick to either a sealed or ported box. Ported is typically louder than sealed. I bought a prefab box for my Eclipse's because I did not feel like working with the dementions in the trunk - it's worked well. It's a sealed box, which I'm not overly happy with, but it does the job.

Also, if you want to browse topics on car audio (the more research the better!!) check out: http://forum.sounddomain.com - I'm a regular there, the people are great, there's tons of questions asked daily.

Sorry for the long post, just car audio IS my hobby, so I thought I'd pitch in my $.02.
For a guy with 2 posts, I think that is the most intelligent and helpful answer that I have ever heard! I could't agree more.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:17 PM

Car: 87' Red TA w/ 92k miles
Engine: 305 TPI
agreed! right on man....hey if your looking for a nice sub...i just bought an elemental design e10kx.22...have not installed it yet cuase ikesound hasn't sent me my amp...but it appears to be a awesome woofer for the money ( under 100 bucks shipped)... i can't wait to hear it and i'll post how it sounds when its installed...
Old 02-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Mililani, HI USofA Search Posts: 2848.............. Whore Posts: 47.................. Magical Whore Posts: 1
Car: 91 Camaro 77K
Engine: 3.1 Vslick
Volfenhag thats the only way to go.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/262789/2

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/262789/4

go with them. they will not disapoint or break the bank
Old 02-15-2004, 08:48 PM

Car: Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
when i first got my car 2 years ago i was 17 and got my subs and amp stolen. i only had $350 for the sub and amp so i got a concept 600w amp and two sony xplod P5 subwoofers. the subs are not that great but there good for a start. check out my car http://members.cardomain.com/joeyz28
Old 02-16-2004, 09:09 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
Originally posted by DigitalMonarch0
For a guy with 2 posts, I think that is the most intelligent and helpful answer that I have ever heard! I could't agree more.
Haha thanx :P

Oh, and it's girl btw
Old 02-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '81 Trans Am
Engine: 6.6L
Transmission: auto 350
Originally posted by *F-BodyFanatic*
Haha thanx :P

Oh, and it's girl btw
YEAHHHHH sweet :hail: