Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Shopping Spree

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L Fuel Injection
Transmission: Automatic 4speed /w OVerdrive
Shopping Spree

Ok...

I kinda went overboard today however I bought all the toys to get my TransAm Thumpin

I bought my head-unit, subwoofers, enclosure, capacitors, and some neon lights for style.

For The headunit I bought me a Pioneer Premier DEH-P650. Good solid headunit with 50X4 Mofset internal amp.

As for the subs...I bought 2 Pioneer 10" TS-W105DVC rated at 700watt peek and 350watt RMS. The sales rep had 2 of these in his thunderchicken powered by a 400watt Phoenix Gold amp and man did they pound. When I told him I plan on putting them on a Kenwood 1000watt Amp, all he said was "when you get it hooked up...come by the shop as I have to hear this".

As for my enclosure...I bought one off of Ebay for $75. Fits the F-Body well and all. Looks pretty much like what everyone here has in their car. Gives 1.25 cubic feet of volume...which is what those subs require so they should get some sweet noise.

As for capacitors...once again turned to Ebay. Bought 4 1.0 farad caps. I don't plan on using all 4 however they were $39 per cap and shipping was a fixed rate of $30 so I just bought 4 of them. 2 for me, 1 for my buddy's Golf III, and one for my buddy's Tempo. I plan on putting another big amp in the back...maybe 2 more amps in the back so the extra stiff power will be greatly required.

As for neons...I just bought some standard neon blue tubes. Gonna mod them into the box to give a nice glow for show.

I was thinking of getting a Pioneer Active Crossover and setup a proper hipass, midpass and lowpass speaker setup for quality.

Also for speakers I bought some Rockford Fosgate 4X6 Coaxials that are rated at 300watts a piece. Should sound hella better then the stock "performance" speakers that reside in there now.

Also I bought the 1.5 Din conversion kit and wire harness which should make the install a joke.

And well off topic..bought my open air element intake (mr. Gasket).

I will take pics of the install once its all good to go.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:09 AM

Car: 83 z28
Engine: 300hp 355
Transmission: T5
dont think you'll need an external crossover...between the one in your deck and the one in your amp or amps you should be fine.

i think maybe you would want to sell all your caps though, i dont think you'll benefit at all from using one
Old 02-10-2004, 08:06 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 700r4
Caps are good for the quick jolts of power needed. They are more of a buffer than anything else as the alternator you have will now have to charge not only your battery and power the amps as well, but it will have to charge the caps too. If you plan on running several large amps, I suggest using a higher output alternator and perhaps a second battery. Deep cycle batteries are quite popular in this case.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Mililani, HI USofA Search Posts: 2848.............. Whore Posts: 47.................. Magical Whore Posts: 1
Car: 91 Camaro 77K
Engine: 3.1 Vslick
Originally posted by Boomin Boy
dont think you'll need an external crossover...between the one in your deck and the one in your amp or amps you should be fine.

i think maybe you would want to sell all your caps though, i dont think you'll benefit at all from using one

I think that is BS
I have a 140 amp altand a deep cycle battery now. Cause i listened to someone like this guy, who does not know what he is talking about. Well because of that i had to go without my car for like 2-3 days. So I have a cap now Deep cycle battery, and a high output alt. i'm pretty good to go now.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:28 PM

Well I had to put a cap in my Tempo's stereo as I was getting some serious draw from the 350watt amp and the 1000watt amp. If I had both Stereo and headlights on the headlights would pulse to the bass. I dropped 2, 1 farrad capacitors on my stereo and the problem went away and I was good to go.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by ThraxXx
Well I had to put a cap in my Tempo's stereo as I was getting some serious draw from the 350watt amp and the 1000watt amp. If I had both Stereo and headlights on the headlights would pulse to the bass. I dropped 2, 1 farrad capacitors on my stereo and the problem went away and I was good to go.
caps will eliminate voltage drop problems such as headlight dim but it will also put a farther strain on your alt, limiting its life

Originally posted by Kj Rockz
I think that is BS
I have a 140 amp altand a deep cycle battery now. Cause i listened to someone like this guy, who does not know what he is talking about. Well because of that i had to go without my car for like 2-3 days. So I have a cap now Deep cycle battery, and a high output alt. i'm pretty good to go now..
it has been widely discussed on this forum that caps are a bandaid for a hurting electrical system. It doesnt stop the problem at all but makes it look like everything is ok. Upgrading your magic three wires under the hood will make a big difference for your electrical system, then a HO alt, and a good starter battery. Then you should be set. Before bashing me do some research on what you're going to say
Old 02-10-2004, 10:16 PM

it has been widely discussed on this forum that caps are a bandaid for a hurting electrical system. It doesnt stop the problem at all but makes it look like everything is ok. Upgrading your magic three wires under the hood will make a big difference for your electrical system, then a HO alt, and a good starter battery. Then you should be set. Before bashing me do some research on what you're going to say
What do you mean by Magic Three Wires under the hood

The guy I bought my T/A off of said I have a 140amp Alt in there and I should be ok to roll. I plan on dropping a yellow top battery in there as I have one in my tempo and well its been pretty cold up here and its started every morning without being plugged in once. Yellow top = 1 leet battery.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Mililani, HI USofA Search Posts: 2848.............. Whore Posts: 47.................. Magical Whore Posts: 1
Car: 91 Camaro 77K
Engine: 3.1 Vslick
Originally posted by Boomin Boy
caps will eliminate voltage drop problems such as headlight dim but it will also put a farther strain on your alt, limiting its life

I guess i should have said i upgraded all of the power wiring under my hood to 4 guage
Old 02-11-2004, 01:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
caps are not an answer to anything, they totally discharge at such a rate that they realisticly dont help.If you have dimming lites than your alt can not charge your battery fast enough, and adding a cap is really just putting more of a strain on your already strained alt.
The three wires as boomin said is the best bet, then if the problem is still there a larger alt is the next step.

Seems the only people who actually buy these things are people who are fairly new to high end audio.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:09 AM

magic three- alt to batt charging wire
- batt to chassis ground
-block to chassis ground
Old 02-11-2004, 02:58 AM

ah ok. I will be sure to check those when it comes time to install. I have my dremel tool with wire brush attachement so I will make sure the grounds are well cleaned. Also I plan on getting the Yellow top deep cycle bat as the bat that is in there is five years old and prob needs to be retired.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I will try the stereo without a cap to see if all goes well.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:21 AM

ah ok. I will be sure to check those when it comes time to install. I have my dremel tool with wire brush attachement so I will make sure the grounds are well cleaned. Also I plan on getting the Yellow top deep cycle bat as the bat that is in there is five years old and prob needs to be retired.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I will try the stereo without a cap to see if all goes well.
an optima yellow top isnt supposed to be used as a primary battery under the hood (not sure why) they recommend a red top for your primary batt and a yellow top for auxillaries
Old 02-11-2004, 04:42 PM

Oh really?

Is it bad to use for a primary...cuz thats what I have in the tempo. the car starts fine and does everythign properly.

If you have 2 batteries...how do you keep both charged?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
Optima recomends not using that one as a everyday or whatever battery but i know people who do who have no problems with it.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:05 PM

Oh really?

Is it bad to use for a primary...cuz thats what I have in the tempo. the car starts fine and does everythign properly.

If you have 2 batteries...how do you keep both charged?
using a battery isolator, or you can just wire the batts together...most people choose the isolator