Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.
View Poll Results: Use the High or Low level inputs
Just use the Speaker outputs to the AMP
33.33%
Install Line converter, and use RCA low level
66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Use - High or Low Level Inputs on Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Use - High or Low Level Inputs on Amp?

Ok, what would be a better choice. I'm installing a 4 channel amp behind my factory cd deck. Which would be a better idea, running the High level speaker outputs from the head unit to the amp, or installing a line converter at the headunit to drop the speaker output to a low level (rca) output, then to the amp? The amp I'm looking at is the Pioneer GM-X374. It has both high and low level inputs.
*I am NOT looking for comments on my head unit * I like the factory deck.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Mustang GT
Engine: hamsters
Transmission: a hamster wheel
use the HIGH inputs, the line converters make noise with the ignition.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Umm.. thats interesting..
Old 02-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Honestly, either way is going to make for less-than-desirable sound. It might be better to bring the amp back, and buy some better 6x9's and 4x6's.

Have you seen the full-size GM-style head units, like Pioneer sells? Crutchfield.com should have a link for it somewhere... you said you like your factory head unit, but the fact that you bought an amp makes me think that you somehow care about the sound of your radio... and factory isn't going to do it.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
high level. I had mine like that for a short time in the past. Adjust your gain(s) to desired levels.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
I agree with Tom, but also I don't think that the smaller din-sized decks look bad either. Adding an amplifier to stock speakers seems like a waste of time to me. I would use the high-level inputs just to minimize connections and increase sound quality... if you can call it that coming from the stock deck.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Supreme Member

I forgot to mention .. none of the speakers are stock.. I upgraded those already.. I recently just got the Stock deck.. I've already played with it.. and I'm happy with the sound quality. everone's opinion on sound quality is different. but just wanted a bit more volume.. hence the amp.. I used to have the Clarion head unit in it.. but pulled it.. I have seen the Pioneer 1.5 din unit. .and considered it.. but I'm aiming for a factory look.. not going out to win sounds offs or somethin.. Peronally I hated the way a single din looked.. even after I modified mine so that it didn't stick out.. Just was not the look I was looking for... Well from what everyone has said.. looks like running the high's to the back is the way to go, so that's what I'll do then.. I'm making a whole new stereo harness anyways.. so it'll all be good wire.. The sound quality from the stock deck is still in around 20 - 20,000 hz anyways.. Thanks guys..
Old 02-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
You can hook it up that way without noise . BTW 20-20k hz has nothing to do with sq......
Old 02-09-2004, 11:20 AM

i have heard more noise come from hi voltage inputs as compared to low voltage inputs, so i personally always use the line out convertors.

btw, i am a professional car audio installer, if my decision to use the line out let cars leave the shop sounding like crap, my *** would be grass.

adam
Old 02-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

ummm.. I guess I'll have to price out the converters and see what I can afford .. talk about a little confusing.. Though the converters do make some sense..
Old 02-09-2004, 10:02 PM

i sell the convertors at my shop for about 12-15$ for the non adjustable ones, for the adjustable ones, i normally get 20+.

adam
Old 02-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

up here in Canada, they are probably a bit more $$$.. The adjustable ones might be better.. not sure though..
Old 02-10-2004, 10:13 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 MPFI
The basic idea is that with using the high outputs, you are relying on the amp inside the head unit to power the speakers. Normally this is not bad. But the power supplying the amp is not just dedicated to the amp in the deck, it also has to power the rest of the deck's components as well. The result is a bit of a loss in sound quality. It really is not that noticeable unless you are rather pickey about sound quality.

For stock speakers, this is fine, as they don't require that much power. A lot of people are happy with this.

If you go with the high level outputs on the head unit and amplify them, then you are also amplifying the quality of sound I mentioned before.

However, the idea behind the RCA or low level outputs is to simply let the head unit provide a signal to be amplified. This signal is usually cleaner and of a higher quality since the head unit is not working to amplify that signal.

That low level signal then goes to an external amp with a sole purpose in life of amplifying the signal from the head unit. This leaves the head unit free to simply worry about its own components.

Amplifying the cleaner signal from the low level inputs will usually result in a nicer sound. Personally, I have found that you get more of an umph from speakers hooked up through this mannor.

Now if you take the high level outputs and convert them to low level outputs then amplify them, you are now not only adding another connection in between the source and the output, but you are also again amplifying the same sound quality from the high outputs plus whatever the converters do for sound quality, good or bad.

Honestly, simple is best. If you want to keep the stock head unit, go for it. They are not that bad. ACDELCO makes a decent product.

Just go right from the stock head unit to the aftermarket speakers. I promise you that will be your best solution.

If you intend to amp the speakers, then get an aftermarket deck otherwise you are simply wasting your money.

:lala:
Old 02-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the Information demicon. though if I got an aftermarket deck. (which I currently have).. I wouldn't need the external amp anyways.. I understand what you mean on the sound quality.. makes sense.. My only other concern then is this.. Here is how I had planned on doing this system.. from the stock deck, I was planning on havng it forst go to a 4ch amp, then out of it's RCA outputs run to a sencond amp for a small sub.. since the 6x9 and the 4x6's do not deal with base that well. I know doing all this would make more sense if I had an aftermarket headunit.. but I think I might be able to make it sound decent.. One other thing I was wondering.. if I decide to forget the external 4 channel amp.. but still want to run the on in back for the sub.. would it be safe on the headunit to run the high level rear speaker output to the amp's High level input? at the same time running the 6x9's or would it affect the 4 ohm resistance the headunit see's from the speaker.

The actually installation is still 2 months away.. so I got some things to consider..

Last edited by FastElectrics; 02-10-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:37 PM

i ALWAYS amplify my mids/highs, regardless of what type of speakers they are, they WILL sound better when properly adjusted.

adam
Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 AM

Car: Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305
Transmission: Rebuilt 700r4 with stage 3
high level is a little easier

I have installed amps either way, high level is a little easier to hide. Either way can produce engine whine. just have to know what you are doing.

20 - 20,000hz . That is the threshold of human hearing
Old 02-12-2004, 01:50 PM

Length of run?

I know it was said originally that the amp was going to be mounted behind the deck in the car, but what if the amp was going to be mounted elsewhere. Like, for example, you want to power a sub in the rear. Wouldn't it make more sense to use a line converter and run RCA patch cables back to the amp instead of running the high level speaker outputs all the way to the back? I would think because of the length of the run of cable, more noise could occur and therefore you could get better RCA cables that could help block out most of that noise, or at least do a better job than just speaker wire.

What do you think?
Old 02-12-2004, 05:28 PM

Car: 2006 'Nox 91 Camaro RS 91 1500 Silv
Engine: GM 3.8L, 305 SBC, 350 SBC
Transmission: Auto, auto, auto
UMM....You have a factory CD deck????
Old 02-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

No one ever said the amp was being mounted behind the deck.. there is no room.. I'm hoping there might be room behind the dash for a 4 channel amp.. but I'll have to take a peek.. I don't have air conditioning, so that might help.. I don't really want to run inputs and outputs back an forth from the front of the car to the back, and back to the front. thats a lot of wires.. so if I can run only one set of rca's to the back for the sub.. that would be fine. If I can find a spot to mount behind the dash that'll be really nice. and Damien00677, yes I have the factory CD deck for my car.. though it never came with it.. it could have.. so I wanted it.