Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

88 GTA stock radio fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans am GTA
Engine: corvette 350 swap
Transmission: t-5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 borg warner 9-bolt w/ PBRs
88 GTA stock radio fix

hey guys,

for a while now i've had a problem with my delco-lok radio. the problem is is that it only plays out of the right channel (right front and right rear). i believe this to be another case of bad soldering. i have the unit open now and i don't know where to look. any suggestions?

-GTAman
Old 01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
have you visually inspected any solder joints? check ac voltage at the speaker output, check resistance through solder joints?

your guess is as good as mine, but i'd start looking for obvious faults and if none were found......put it where delco radios belong...j/k

have you tried switch contact cleaner? I have completly restored a 60s/70s era kenwood reciever/amplifier with a $12 can of de-oxit, good stuff, just follow the directions on the can.

unless you are entering it in a car show or trying to restore it to sell, what would you possibly want a delco radio for? put that relic in a safe keeping box and treat yourself to a nice Alpine or something.....you won't miss the delco at all.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:19 AM

Car: 91 formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: t5
if you cant get it to work again, but still wnat the stock radio, try the junkyard, i am sure that you can find one there

but i would just say if it is dead then go with a aftermarket cd player

alpine and the high end pioneers are always good choices
Old 01-11-2004, 05:06 PM

Car: 1988 Trans am GTA
Engine: corvette 350 swap
Transmission: t-5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 borg warner 9-bolt w/ PBRs
hey guys,

yeah, while i had the radio open i was looking for anything unusual, but i didn't find anything. the only reason i want to fix the delco is because i know it fits with the harnesses (obviously). plus i have other problems on the car i need to fix before the radio (turn signal and headlight), but those repair shop'll probably charge me arm and leg for a fix so frig it. i could have gotten a new radio from this expo i went to 2 weeks back but they didn't sell harnesses with them. good radio's too. i was thinking about getting the pioneer GM fit radios so i don't have to worry about the stupid trim plates.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
It's easier than you think, go to Wal-Mart and look for the GM wiring harness and install kit for your year and model, they are mostly the same. You will probably have change from a $20 bill.

If you are super cheap...like I have been before...you can tap into the factory wiring and without cutting any of the copper and wire the wires directly to the right ones, just get a radio wiring code sheet from Crutchfield. Most Stereo installers probably have these colors memorized.

it's fairly simple to figure out which wires do what, but why bother when you can buy a plug for $8.99 and a piece of plastic to hold the DIN sized aftermarket radio for $12.99 add that to the price of whatever you buy...and it is nowhere near the cost of that other stuff you are talking about.

Its easier than you think, Ask anyone here.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:12 AM

Car: 87 Trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt posi w/ disc
my suggestion, put the stereo back in the console, and hit the side of the console. im not kidding, this worked for me acouple times. if not, it is the connection in the back, i know there are 3 little plug things. its the yellowish connection. thats the one for the front speakers. play with that a little til they come on. other than that, if it doesnt work, your stereo is pooched.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:29 AM

Car: '86 TA 305 F, '89 GTA 8
Engine: F 305 TPI, 8 350 TPI
Transmission: 700 r4
how to unlock delco-loc?

Sounds like bad wiring to me.
Do you know how to unlock delco-loc?
My '89 GTA just says Delco-loc on the display, and the keys are frozen.