Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Convertible Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Convertible Rear Speakers

I know this has been discussed in depth (I did a search and it came up with over 130 items in the Car Audio Section) but it just added to my confusion:

From what I have been able to gather, the stock rear speakers are 5 1/2 or 5 1/4" speakers - although some believe it's a 6 1/2 or 6 1/2s (not sure what the difference is)

There has been heated debate on whether 6x9's will fit without major mods

I've looked in crutchfield.com and they did not come up with any that would fit an 88 Iroc Convertible (at least according to their filters on the website).

So what can I put in that will not involve cutting up the trim or the speaker/car brackets? What's the depth that can be installed (I've seen posts as little as under 2" to as high as over 3").

I'm not looking to have a show quality stereo system, but just something that I can replace my blown rear speaker with.

Any suggestions with specific brand and model numbers?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
just a tip i had to do with mine:

i just used some cheap on sale jenson speakers.. 5 somthin.... fit like stock..

but the speaker cover will touch the speaker cone when you turn the volume up past soft...

if you look at the stock speakers, under the felt cover, theres a spacer ring around the speaker.... if you CAREFULLY cut the felt off, and carefully pry out the spacer ring, you can use it with your new speakers, and have them fit like stock.

they're just round 5 somthin speakers.... just like my stock ones.

my friend steve has his rear panels hacked up slightly to accept 6x9s, but the panel does have to be cut and modified alot... not a bolt in.

if you're willing to cut holes, theres alot of space back there.... *shrug*
Old 12-23-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 5.slow
i don't have pics right now but i have 6 by 9 infiniti kappas in my vert. they look decent. there is a spacer to give them some room and the magnets barely fit in there but with the grills on the speakers they look fine.