Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Help on sound imaging

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on sound imaging

As u guys can see from the posting during this week im really not the greatest on sounds. Im wondering how u guys think this system will sound. Kenwood (45x4) deck, Pioneer 4 way speaker, 5.25 infinity kappas in the kickpanels, all running off a 4 channel poweracoustic amp (55rmsx4). How u guys think this will sound? No subs right now so will i have real poor bass? ANd should i incest in some 4x6s for the dash or is htat overkill? Not sure on what a crossover is, and if it would help my system. Opinions wanted :-)
Old 12-22-2003, 01:15 AM

Car: 83 z28
Engine: 300hp 355
Transmission: T5
if you want good soundstage i would recommend a component set and to install them in fibreglassed kick panels if you can. Your speakers should definitely be amplified but im not sure if a power acoustic amp is the way to go.

Have you bought all this equipment already?

Obviously with no subs your bass will be a bit off but a whole aspect of your system is being missed so its gunna sound a bit off until you fill that with some subs.

Its very possible to actually have too many speakers in your car. Ive sat in a car loaded with 6X9s for their mids (indash, in doors, underneath front and rear seats and in the rear side panels) and sure it was loud but the different speakers conflict with each other messing up your soundstage. This is why many SQ competitors will only have one or two subs, one component set and one set of midbass drivers.

A crossover basically stops your speaker from producing certain sounds. A high pass crossover (also referred to as a subsonic filter at times) filters all low sounds and lets the higher ones pass. And a lowpass (more common) tries to cut off the sounds above a certain point. So if you had a high pass crossover @20hz, everything below that point would be drastically quiter. Crossovers do not totally filter all the unwanted sound out but they do make a great difference if setup properly. They are rated in db/octave meaning basically the higher the db/octave the better filter it is. They generally come from 6-24 db/octave. You want as little overlap in the crossovers as possible between your speaker types to prevent cancellation and a messed up soundstage.

For example, you could want a high pass on your subs at 20hz so that the sub doesnt bottom out and damage it. You cant hear much below 20hz anyways. Then low pass your subs at say 80hz. Your midbasses are highpassed @ 75hz and low passed at 150hz with your component set taking it from 145hz and up.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:37 PM

well, i may look into subs in the future but right now its sorta out of my budget. I plan on modifing my bose kickpanels to hold a 5.25" kicker speaker. Its a two way and im told it has pretty decent bass. Plus the pioneer 4 ways in the back powered by the poweracoustik. U sounded ify on the amp y is that? Are they better then sony at least? I can get a decent deal on it. U think this will sound bad? Im not looking for awesome sounds just better then stock. SHould i invest in some 4x6 kapps or is that overkill. sorry if this is a repeat im jsut unclear on this.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:46 PM

Car: 83 z28
Engine: 300hp 355
Transmission: T5
Originally posted by jdrafke
well, i may look into subs in the future but right now its sorta out of my budget. I plan on modifing my bose kickpanels to hold a 5.25" kicker speaker. Its a two way and im told it has pretty decent bass. Plus the pioneer 4 ways in the back powered by the poweracoustik. U sounded ify on the amp y is that? Are they better then sony at least? I can get a decent deal on it. U think this will sound bad? Im not looking for awesome sounds just better then stock. SHould i invest in some 4x6 kapps or is that overkill. sorry if this is a repeat im jsut unclear on this.
power acoustic is better than sony but that doesnt mean too much. If you can get a deal on it, then go for it; it just wouldnt be my brand of choice otherwise. It wont sound bad there are just better amps out there as far as price, power, reliability, features, and sound quality go.

I dont think you'll need the 4X6's aswell, the kickers are a pretty decent speaker most of the time